: Shifting questions about my 2011 V Enroute

keithsm2
06-08-11, 11:05 AM
My V should be intransit to me today :) whoo hooo....few questions about the shifting...Its a manual....Is it going to have the annoying skip shift that my 05 had and my wifes mustang has??

And what is the rumor of this no lift shift?? Do ya use it??

Thanks..

musclesbmf
06-08-11, 11:10 AM
with the 3.73 rear (car revs quickly), the skip shift hardly, if ever engaged on me.

Mark

CTSV4now
06-08-11, 11:33 AM
Does it really have a skip shift? Why is there a guzzler tax AND skip shift.

keithsm2
06-08-11, 11:59 AM
i guess that is part of my question...." does it have a skip shift"?
if so...how i get rid of it...( took about a 13 dollar plug to bypass it on the 05'V)

musclesbmf
06-08-11, 12:01 PM
Yes it really does... One reason the manual trans gas guzzler is half of the automatic.
I got rid of mine through the tune, but I'm sure the plug that corvettes, etc use will work the same.

Mark

Silver -V-
06-08-11, 12:13 PM
I used the plug on my '04 to get rid of the CAGS skip shift. The '09+ cars have a skip shift feature, but in 2 1/2 years, I haven't had my '09 car hit the skip shift. You will probably never hit it like you do in your '05. In my opinion, the newer car doesn't have an issue.

MReiland
06-08-11, 12:51 PM
In the 2010's and 2011's that I drove they both had it, BUT you really, really have to lug it from a start and it was so infrequent I though it was just rough getting into gear until I realized it was the CAGS. I would consider it a non-issue. I think it actually engaged on me 2 times total.

e6t
06-08-11, 01:09 PM
matt is correct... i drive like an old man and it rarely engages.

Teutonaddict
06-08-11, 05:14 PM
In the 2010's and 2011's that I drove they both had it, BUT you really, really have to lug it from a start and it was so infrequent I though it was just rough getting into gear until I realized it was the CAGS. I would consider it a non-issue. I think it actually engaged on me 2 times total.

On my '09 with 14K miles it has never engaged, so I'm simply taking others' word for it that it even exists.

I guess that means the sure-fire fix for it is more loud pedal. Or was that More Cowbell!

garfin
06-08-11, 06:25 PM
I've used the no-lift shift on occasion. It works pretty well even at part throttle or shifting at 3500-4000 rpm. aAfriend of mine has an '09 manual and he wasn't aware his car had the feature. I demonstrated it for him on a 1-2 shift at only 3 grand and he was very pleasantly surprised at the extra kick provided by the fast shift while keeping the revs up. Try practicing it by gradually increasing the rpm that you shift at so that you get a feel for it. The more comfortable you become with it, the more inclined you'll probably be to use it.
FWIW, I don't believe there is any mention of this feature in the owners' manual.

Best regards,

Elie

Fireverm
06-08-11, 07:12 PM
I've used the no-lift shift on occasion. It works pretty well even at part throttle or shifting at 3500-4000 rpm. aAfriend of mine has an '09 manual and he wasn't aware his car had the feature. I demonstrated it for him on a 1-2 shift at only 3 grand and he was very pleasantly surprised at the extra kick provided by the fast shift while keeping the revs up. Try practicing it by gradually increasing the rpm that you shift at so that you get a feel for it. The more comfortable you become with it, the more inclined you'll probably be to use it.
FWIW, I don't believe there is any mention of this feature in the owners' manual.

Best regards,

Elie

No-lift shift?

Edit: I just looked it up and that is a sick feature. No wonder my power-shifting has been spot on, lol.

keithsm2
06-08-11, 07:20 PM
does the engine rev up when you do it at only 3 grand?

Mike02z
06-08-11, 07:32 PM
I have had the CAGS in 3 different cars. A 2002 Z28, my 2008 C6 and now my 2011 CTS-V.

The Z28 was the worst. I had to do the CAGS bypass right after I bought the car. The C6 was less invasive but it would kick in enough that I had it tuned out when I was doing some other mods. I rarely ever notice the CAGS in the V. It only kicks in if I'm slowly accelerating in first and get it above 3K. If I'm driving like a granny I'm shifting well below 3K and it's not an issue for me.

garfin
06-08-11, 08:19 PM
No-lift shift?

Edit: I just looked it up and that is a sick feature. No wonder my power-shifting has been spot on, lol.

Yeah... I look at it as "legalized" power-shifting! :cool:

does the engine rev up when you do it at only 3 grand?

I think the main advantage of this feature is that as long as you keep your foot on the gas (floored or otherwise) as you engage the clutch, the computer holds the revs steady where they are and you don't need to worry about the tach needle flying off the dial, say, if you miss a shift. Also with the revs being kept up rather than falling, boost level is maintained for the next gear. You still need to shift as fast as you possibly can to take full advantage of this.

Best regards,

Elie

cdog533
06-09-11, 11:18 AM
CAGS will only kick in if you do a part-throttle shift at like 1,500 rpms. It's only happened to me a few times, typically when I'm short shifting it in a traffic jam so I can do something else (make a call or something).

Even then, it doesn't force 4th like the CTSV1's did. It moves the shift lever over so you would naturally pull 4th instead of 2nd. But you can put it in 2nd if you want to. In the 1st Gen CTSV's, you HAD to engage 4th or 3rd.

This is a minor issue at best. It's WAY less goofy than the Porsche Panamera start/stop gas saver that shuts it off at stoplights.... At least they have a button to turn that off.