: Will hitting a horse with my Tercel result in a Cadillac daily driver?

brougham_geezer
06-08-11, 10:34 AM
The damage:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249257_581970735148_132701620_33246392_5056928_n.j pg

Yeah, I ran into and killed a horse late last thursday night with my '95 Tercel coupe (4-speed manual). It crawled/busted under the farmer's fence and ran for the road! I bought the car under 2 months ago. It was an $800.00 buy that worked great, and replaced my '81 Oldsmobile Holiday 88 coupe daily driver (rustbucket) that failed safety due to rotten frame and floors. (Oldsmobile had replaced my blue '81 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance that my brother and I installed a 425 into... a fuel pig that lost its tranny so I sold for as much as I had paid and kept the factory wire wheels).

Just thought I'd bring you all up to speed. You may remember threads regarding the '81 Fleet and the '81 Holiday coupe.

After the horse massacre (which I suppose I am fortunate to have survied 100% unscathed), The roof and passenger A-pillar were too mangled to warrant repairing the car... not to mention the car is full of blood, guts and horse manure... it truly exploded.

I settled up with the horse owner for $1000.00 cash, and am going to look at a potential "Replacement" tonight: a black 1996 Fleetwood Brougham with burgundy cloth interior. Here is the link:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1996-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Brougham-W0QQAdIdZ287938736

The guy has sent me a bunch of pictures of the underneath and interior, and they check out. He also sent pictures of the rear-rocker rust which doesn't look like anything my brother and I can't handle. If everything checks out tonight, I am bringing it home.

This will be my newest daily driver, and first fuel-injected Caddy. First of swoopy body style, although my brother owned a beautifully mint & loaded '94 LT1 Caprice for a while.

It's funny because I have always been a firm believer in what these last gen RWD GM's represent, particularly the Cadillacs: old-school full frame durability & new-age convenience of fuel injection and overdrive transmission efficiency, yet I have not yet owned one! I've even convinced two friends to buy these cars. Both were 1996 FWB's, one taupe with tan leather, and one light (Adriatic?) blue with blue cloth. Both have never regretted their purchases.

I have driven those cars many times, and weekly end up driving the '96 six-door Fleetwood Superior limo (black w/ black leather) owned by the funeral home I work at, so I know what I'm in for. Just thought I'd give you all the update! I bet I'll have plenty of questions, and at least I know where to turn!

BONUS: I bought a set of the chrome '93-'96 Fleetwood wheels for $20.00 (for all four!), and a factory CD player for these cars, incase I ever bought one of these beauties... a smart move I guess!

UPDATES ON OTHER CARS:

My brother still owns his green '76 FWB. New top professionally installed last year. The car looks great, and he has been taking it to shows already this year, while working on his '71 Pontiac Grand Prix project.

Sold the two '79 parts cars (SDV and CDV both d'Elegance) to make room for a big white '76 CDV d'Elegance parts car. We wanted to have that extra 500 laying around)

My red/white '80 CDV remains parked in the garage so far this summer, as does my blue/white '80 Superior hearse, so that I've got a little time and money to put toward my '71 boattail Riviera (needs balljoints, alignment, pampering etc.).

Parents bought a '79 Triumph Spitfire (dad's real interest is British cars) to accompany my brother and I to car shows) so they will be driving that a lot this summer.

That's about all. Sorry for my lack of posting lately. Been quite busy!

77CDV
06-08-11, 01:36 PM
Probably the closest that Tercel ever came to having horsepower.

Fleetwood looks good. Hope it works out for you.

outsider
06-08-11, 01:46 PM
for $500 I'd buy that thing twice!

jayoldschool
06-08-11, 02:02 PM
Good luck with the new one, and glad you are ok. Hit me up if you need parts (parting my 94FWB).

Stingroo
06-08-11, 02:57 PM
Craig wins again. LOL Horsepower....

CADforce69
06-08-11, 04:01 PM
The tercel did his best service: Saving your life. I´m glad you´re ok. If that´s the car you´ve been liking, for such a good price and there is nothing wrong about it except for the rear rocker rust... What the heck! Go for it. :D

77CDV
06-08-11, 09:28 PM
Craig wins again. LOL Horsepower....

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week!

Stingroo
06-08-11, 09:30 PM
With no pics... tisk.

brougham_geezer
06-09-11, 11:34 AM
Sad news: I am still on the hunt. The car was in solid shape and a great deal for $500.00, but not the steal I was hoping for/need right now. Required a small fortune in front end work, rear axle was on it's way out, hole up under the rear seat and gas smell inside the car. Looks like I'll be driving our '85 Parisienne for a couple weeks until the *right* one comes along! Will keep you posted, gang.

robb257731
06-09-11, 12:12 PM
Thank goodness you weren't driving the Buick that night!

I feel bad for the horse...