: Someone gouged my bumper!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

buddyg
06-07-11, 07:32 PM
So since I bought Cadzilla I have been so careful everytime I park the car. I have been getting lots of exercise parking in BFE! Come out of Target today and there is a 4 inch gouge running vertically up my bumper!!

I don't see any way to fix it other than to replace the whole bumper!

Please talk me off the edge I am about to go Postal on someone!

Ronsv
06-07-11, 08:14 PM
I feel your pain!!! People are so incredibly inconsiderate! Whenever I have to park in a parking lot, I will scope out the safest spot, even if it means walking a mile to the store. People simply have no regard with respect to your property. Wonder how the person who dings my car door would like it if I invited myself over to their house, and proceeded to take out a hammer and dent their dinning room table??

Teutonaddict
06-07-11, 08:22 PM
Come out of Target today and there is a 4 inch gouge running vertically up my bumper!!

Um, 4" vertical gouge sounds like possible garage door damage--is it a straight line perpendicular to the ground? Is it at all possible that you parked too close to your garage door and the lowering/raising door's appendage may have done the gouging? If I sound familiar with such an occurrence, it's because I'm guilty of self inflicted vertical bumper damage. Good news is it was an easy fix for a quality body shop...

jordan00escalade
06-07-11, 08:27 PM
I share your frustration.. I too have been victimized by the carelessness and or recklessness of the untrained nearsighted driver without enough depth perception to park 3 feet away from another vehicle. We should come together from far and wide as a band of committed parking lot enforcers and take turns watching out for "said, "untrained drivers" until we have all have had a run into the store and every last one of us (those who take special pride in their ride) has departed said parking lot in our unscathed vehicles as we entered.

The Tony Show
06-07-11, 08:41 PM
Ugh, that blows.

There shouldn't be a need to replace the bumper though- a good body shop can fill, sand and repaint it.

JOEYCTS-V
06-07-11, 08:54 PM
I know how you feel. When I first got my 2004 CTS-V someone put a nice dimple in the passenger side door. :rant2:

hlantin
06-07-11, 10:53 PM
is it the front or the rear bumper? sounds like it might be the rear? either case, it sucks!! tony show is right though, a good body shop should be able to fix/replace and repaint the bumper. this has happened to me twice in the past, front and rear bumpers of my previous car. i was parked on the sidewalk and came back with my bumper scratched and dented (both times!). i found the best way to get over the frustration is to get it fixed asap and move on. there's a lot of idiots out there...

buddyg
06-07-11, 11:32 PM
It is the rear bumper. I don't think it was from the garage I have parking stops that I pull onto and the door goes back up if it touches anything. God help me if I did this to my car. I will have to kick my own arse!!

Any ideas on cost to repair at a body shop?

hlantin
06-08-11, 12:43 AM
for the v front bumper..based on the local shops here, it ranges from $650-$950 for a fill and refinish. they'll have to keep your car for a couple of days. the rear bumper will probably cost a little more because it's got more surface? make sure you visit a few shops to get a quote and read reviews on them, if available. if you're in LA, send me a pm and i can recommend a few shops. just curious, what color is your v?

shchow
06-08-11, 08:01 AM
That's horrible!
I always make it a point to park far away with no cars evenly remotely close to me, but invariably, when I come back to my car, there's always some d-bag parked right next to me.
I give you permission to go postal...

The Tony Show
06-08-11, 08:56 AM
$650-$950?! Good lord, are body shops in CA using solid gold paint or something?

I don't know where you're located, but down here it would be a 2 day job (1 day to remove, fill and prep, then 1 day to paint and re-install) and shouldn't cost more than $500.

Teutonaddict
06-08-11, 09:54 AM
It is the rear bumper. I don't think it was from the garage I have parking stops that I pull onto and the door goes back up if it touches anything. God help me if I did this to my car. I will have to kick my own arse!!

Any ideas on cost to repair at a body shop?

I got those stops, too, but I also have three kids that have been known to bump into them and change my parking parameters. Not at all saying you did this, just providing myself a little wiggle room so I don't need to kick my own arse!

My rear bumper refinish ran me $400 from the highest rated local bodyshop (per Angie's List and local yelp ratings).

Good luck!! The suggestion to fix quickly was a good one. I got ticked off every time I walked up to my car from the back (knowing in the back of my mind it was my own damn fault).

buddyg
06-08-11, 11:17 AM
I got those stops, too, but I also have three kids that have been known to bump into them and change my parking parameters. Not at all saying you did this, just providing myself a little wiggle room so I don't need to kick my own arse!

My rear bumper refinish ran me $400 from the highest rated local bodyshop (per Angie's List and local yelp ratings).

Good luck!! The suggestion to fix quickly was a good one. I got ticked off every time I walked up to my car from the back (knowing in the back of my mind it was my own damn fault).

Yeah it makes me sick to see it, I will definitely be getting it fixed soon. Thanks everyone, someone asked about the color it is black.

The Tony Show
06-08-11, 11:45 AM
Black will be cheaper to paint than a metallic color. Set aside a nickel (max) for the job and start asking around for a good paint shop. :thumbsup:

khoeysr
06-08-11, 02:53 PM
When you finally catch whoever did it, be sure you look into their eyes as they are about to die.

hlantin
06-08-11, 11:29 PM
$650-$950?! Good lord, are body shops in CA using solid gold paint or something?

i agree with you on this! i'm sure there are other shops in LA that are cheaper, but when I was looking for a buddy, we went to 3 shops and got the quotes above (a couple charged extra if you had clear bra).

this is great deal! hope the OP can find something similar. good luck and let us know what kind of quotes you get around your area..

buddyg
06-24-11, 11:08 AM
$500.00 to fix from a very good shop I have used before. Not too bad.

hulksdaddy
06-24-11, 01:38 PM
Pics?

sfv41901
09-05-11, 09:19 PM
Did you ever get this fixed & what was the total $$$$?

buddyg
09-05-11, 09:20 PM
Did you ever get this fixed & what was the total $$$$?

Yes and it cost $500.00

muohio
09-05-11, 09:35 PM
Someone gouged mine the second week I had it. It's small enough that I'm going to live with it.

sfv41901
09-05-11, 09:35 PM
ouch.....better than my situation, I have to replace the whole bumper due to a tire tread on the freeway :banghead:

rockryno
09-06-11, 04:25 PM
someone keyed my trunk 2 days after i brought it home. I was furious.