: Rear Air Conditioning not working

stevec5375
06-07-11, 07:30 PM
I just discovered today that the rear air conditioning in my SRX Premium does not work. It just blows hot air even when the temp is turned down to 60 degrees. Anyone else had this problem?

sube5186
06-07-11, 08:36 PM
This is a silly question, but I have to ask. Are you turning the temperature down on the rear passenger's console? What about blower speed and vent selection? For the rear passengers, you can select which vents blow air, the top or the floor.

Sube

stevec5375
06-08-11, 08:23 AM
This is a silly question, but I have to ask. Are you turning the temperature down on the rear passenger's console? What about blower speed and vent selection? For the rear passengers, you can select which vents blow air, the top or the floor.

Sube

I have the rear console temp turned down to 60 degrees and the air selected to blow out the top vents. I tried various fan speeds starting with the "Auto" setting. All this using the rear console.

Smokin' SRX
06-08-11, 09:07 AM
dup.

Smokin' SRX
06-08-11, 09:14 AM
dup.

Smokin' SRX
06-08-11, 09:16 AM
Steve, I gotta believe ya tried this, but......... on all my previous GM's and current Yukon, with tri-mode A/C , the ceiling vents super-heat in the summer sun. (They are under the roof skin!) and it took 2-3 minutes minimum,to get cold air to come out of them. Did ya give it a good run??

Unlike the large GM's (Enclave and Yukon) I don't think it has a seperate condenser/plumbing for the rear A/C, just blended air vents from up front, but I could be wrong. Dealer?

SS

stevec5375
06-08-11, 10:32 AM
Steve, I gotta believe ya tried this, but......... on all my previous GM's and current Yukon, with tri-mode A/C , the ceiling vents super-heat in the summer sun. (They are under the roof skin!) and it took 2-3 minutes minimum,to get cold air to come out of them. Did ya give it a good run??

Unlike the large GM's (Enclave and Yukon) I don't think it has a seperate condenser/plumbing for the rear A/C, just blended air vents from up front, but I could be wrong. Dealer?

SS

I let it run for 15-20 minutes both sitting still and on the road and it was the same. I called my service adviser and left him a message that I want to bring the car in and have them take a look at it. As it is, anyone in the back seat would have hot air blowing in their face.

By the way, I tried the heat portion of the rear vents and that worked fine. It's just not cooling back there at all.

GMJim
06-08-11, 01:45 PM
At least your front A/C works. Thats more than I could say for mine.

Smokin' SRX
06-08-11, 04:38 PM
What? Jim, No A/C for the Summer temps?? WTH

SS

GMJim
06-08-11, 07:44 PM
That is one of the reasons I got rid of the SRX. The A/C never really worked, and service
never really wanted to fix it. It was frustrating, 95 degree day, and it would blow
warm at best, sometimes cool, never cold. That was not my idea of a new vehicle.
The whole unit needed to be replaced, according to the engineers I talked to.
My wagon is blowing cold before I even put it in gear. That's how it should be.

stevec5375
06-08-11, 07:55 PM
That is one of the reasons I got rid of the SRX. The A/C never really worked, and service
never really wanted to fix it. It was frustrating, 95 degree day, and it would blow
warm at best, sometimes cool, never cold. That was not my idea of a new vehicle.
The whole unit needed to be replaced, according to the engineers I talked to.
My wagon is blowing cold before I even put it in gear. That's how it should be.

I'm with you on this one. The A/C in this car, while performing up to the stated specs, just doesn't handle a Texas summer well at all. And aiming the vents at one's face is an impossibility because the steering wheel is in the way.

BlackDeVille
06-08-11, 08:43 PM
We had our first 100 degree day in NYC. I spent 5 hours in the car (black with sun roof completely closed) during the heat of the day and the AC was flawless. I have a 2011 so maybe they made an improvement over the 2010. I also had the HVAC system software reflashed a month or so ago.

Smokin' SRX
06-08-11, 09:55 PM
Yes, I now recall Jims tale. Obvious "lemon with your A/C, sir?", package. Shame. Mine (dual-temp type) also worked well today in 95* heat. Don't blame ya Jim. I woulda either burned her, killed the Dealer or both! Couldn't tolerate that nonsense for long in any car, never mind a Caddy....

SS

Ponyman
06-09-11, 11:52 AM
Our 2010 Premiumn is handling the Oklahoma heat just fine. Got in the wife's SRX yesterday after it had been sitting in the 96 degree sun for a few hours. A/C cooled the car down very quickly, and the wife was complaining that it was too cold.

Smokin' SRX
06-09-11, 08:38 PM
Never knew cars could be bi-polar.......

SS

TheCaptain
06-11-11, 04:59 PM
...And aiming the vents at one's face is an impossibility because the steering wheel is in the way.
What are you talking about here? My SRX vents point at my face...

stevec5375
06-12-11, 01:10 PM
What are you talking about here? My SRX vents point at my face...

I'm happy for you. Mine are blocked by the steering wheel, just as I said.

Ponyman
06-12-11, 11:19 PM
Captain, I don'thave any problem with getting the vents to blow directly on me, and neither does my wife. maybe he is a little person, and can't get the vents adjusted downward far enough.

TheCaptain
06-14-11, 07:51 AM
Or short, i noticed after my sister adjusts the seat, her sitting position does have the left vent blocked by the steering wheel.