: Removing Center Console Trim Panel

Wannago
06-07-11, 10:07 AM
I want to remove the trim panel from my center console so that I can give it a good polish to remove the scratches, then apply a layer of CQuartz to help protect it.

I've searched, but hav ebeen unable to dtermine if the black trim panel simply pops off, or if its affixed to the entire center stack (incl the stereo, climate controls, etc.)

Can anyone advise if it is simply a matter of prying some clips to get the console trim off? If so, any tips on where to pry? Pics? etc.

Thanks

urnodaisy
06-07-11, 10:11 AM
W4Me has a good video on youtube you may want to search for that shows Jesse taking off the entire console to bypass the dvd player security feature. Check out his videos. It may be useful.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

Wannago
06-07-11, 10:18 AM
W4Me has a good video on youtube you may want to search for that shows Jesse taking off the entire console to bypass the dvd player security feature. Check out his videos. It may be useful.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

Thanks urnodaisy, I saw that vid, but it appears in it that the entire cluster comes out as one piece. I just want to remove the trim and am wondering if it can be done w/o going to that extent.

EVIL_C5
06-07-11, 10:24 AM
let me know how the C-Quartz holds up, I have been wanting to do this, but my day always seems to fall way short of time......

e6t
06-07-11, 11:21 AM
it comes out as one piece. one removed, the attached components can be removed from the back... takes a bit of time and a little patience.

Wannago
06-07-11, 02:42 PM
Yeah, thanks e6t, that's what I understand.

I decided to just leave the pieces intact and shine them up. I originally tried Scratch-X, and while it worked ok, it struggled with some of the more significant scratches. I have a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compiund that I used to polish the car, and realized it was actually a pretty gentle compund, so I decided to try it. It worked very well, removing the scratches with pretty minimal effort, and only the deeper scratches needed a second going-over.

After I was done, I applied a thin layer of C-Quartz. Hopefully that will provide some protection against future scratches, in the event a mosquito gets into my car and brushes against the trim.

Here's a before and after pic. The previous owner let the trim get pretty scratched up, although I can't deny some responsibliity for some of the scratches as well.

(crappy cell phone pics)

Before

http://members.shaw.ca/thomper/Before.jpg

After

http://members.shaw.ca/thomper/After2.jpg

EVIL_C5
06-07-11, 02:54 PM
mine was very similar, I used menzerna nano polish on it and got 90 percent out.

i thought about taking my mini flex rotary and a 3 inch pad to try to get the rest out after removing the panels, but figured it was better a winter project to do when im bored from snow on the ground....