: 1989 Cadillac Brougham Low in the Back....HELP!!

reelheavy
06-06-11, 10:26 PM
I am in the process of trying to raise my Caddy up in the back I think the shocks are gone and i was just trying to get a idea of what i would have to do the get my baby sitting right and a way i can tell they are gone because everytime I have 1-2 people in the back the level ride light is constantly on and or doesnt go off....SO where should I start????

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
06-06-11, 11:57 PM
i like my cadillacs to sit low lol but nah go to your local parts store and get some shocks or air shocks

MoistCabbage
06-07-11, 12:07 AM
There's more to it than just the shocks. They can rupture, but there could also be a leak in a line, the compressor could be bad, a sensor may be faulty.... Don't just run out and buy new shocks without being sure of what the problem is.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
06-07-11, 12:24 AM
thats tru to

sven914
06-07-11, 12:27 AM
The shocks are a common problem on these cars. If you get under the back end, you will probably find that they are rusted and leaking. Any garage that does suspension work should be able to get OE replacement shocks. And any competent technician should be able to test the air lines and level switch for malfunction.

GeneLaw1
06-07-11, 10:32 PM
On my Brougham those shocks were leaking, and I replaced them with gas shocks, because the replacement air shocks were too rich for my blood at the time. The air shocks they have at the auto parts stores are not made to work with the Cadillac air system. I replaced the shocks, and replaced the rear springs with Variable rate springs that make sure the car is always sitting at a good height. Just some food for thought. My Deville still has the air shocks, they do ride better, I must admit.

MoistCabbage
06-08-11, 04:00 AM
[QUOTE=GeneLaw1;2618247 The air shocks they have at the auto parts stores are not made to work with the Cadillac air system.[/QUOTE]

Those are the "load leveler" style shocks, meant to be manually adjusted via pumping air into, or letting air out of a schrader valve. You can still get the correct delco part, for not all that much money:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Cadillac/Brougham/AC_Delco/Shock_Absorber_and_Strut_Assembly/1989/Base/8_Cyl_5-dot-0L/AC504511.html?loc=Rear&tlc=Brakes%2C+Suspension+%26+Steering

MudAnt
06-08-11, 01:08 PM
That is a good price. I remember a thread about this a few months ago, everyone was saying the AC Delco ones were no longer available?