: High Praise For The V Series.

elphil
06-06-11, 07:56 PM
July issue of Motor Trend. Article by Senior Editor Jonny Lieberman. Not a road test. The author is in Dubai where Cadillac is promoting the CTS-V. GM personnel include John Heinricy who set the production sedan lap record at the Nurburgring.

In part, Mr Lieberman wrote,"We were driving past Ferrari World on the road to Dubai and I came to the same conclusion every time I drive any flavor of the CTS-V. The car is simply indomitable. I like my Ms and dig my AMGs and fantasize about scraping together enough cash to buy an Audi RS 4. I'm even a big Lexus IS-F booster. But all these muscle-bound people-movers are forced to bow down before Cadillac's V. The 556 horsepower beats 'em all and 551pound-feet of torque just crushes. The ride, the handling, the steering and the brakes are all top shelf (did I mention the six-speed manual?), leaving only the has-been interior to show off Caddy's old GM roots."

If you don't subscribe to Motor Trend you might want to pick up the July issue just for this four page article.

EVIL_C5
06-06-11, 08:19 PM
Nice heads up. Thanks

wait4me
06-06-11, 09:31 PM
Cool!

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 10:54 PM
Did they check for rust?

neuronbob
06-07-11, 12:26 AM
^^^^^
:rofl:

I just read it tonight as I'm a subscriber. This car is truly the best of America and I am proud to own one.

dvandentop
06-07-11, 01:32 AM
^^^^^
:rofl:

I just read it tonight as I'm a subscriber. This car is truly the best of America and I am proud to own one.

werd

zirotti
06-07-11, 08:58 AM
And of course there had to be a dig. If they were talking about the Vette interior, than sure. But I see nothing about the V interior that makes me thing it's second to any other.

Umrswimr
06-07-11, 09:03 AM
And of course there had to be a dig. If they were talking about the Vette interior, than sure. But I see nothing about the V interior that makes me thing it's second to any other.

In fact, I would even go so far as to say it's the BEST interior of all the cars in the price range- C63, M3, and IS-F.

readyact
06-07-11, 09:36 AM
Cool thanks for the heads up.

js615
06-07-11, 09:56 AM
Very cool. Funny though, I don't get as bothered about the interior as all the magazine guys do. I mean, it's light years beyond the V1 and as good as as anything GM as ever churned out. When it comes down to it, for what we paid for our V's, I'll take a "good enough" interior mated to a world class "strap in and hang on" motor and drivetrain when compared to the $100K plus the others cars in this class cost. Clearly, GM put more $$$ into "go fast"...and I'm very ok with that.

thebigjimsho
06-07-11, 10:37 AM
In fact, I would even go so far as to say it's the BEST interior of all the cars in the price range- C63, M3, and IS-F.
It's organic! Boogie-oogie-oggie!

SleepTight
06-07-11, 10:51 AM
The article is mostly a travel log of the author's trip to Dubai-with only a passing mention of the purpose of the trip and the debut of the V Coupe in Dubai. Does anybody on these forums need to be told that the V is a very big deal in the Arabian Gulf countries?

kirbyCTSV
06-07-11, 10:54 AM
is the article online?

elphil
06-07-11, 01:59 PM
is the article online?

Maybe; http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1104_middle_east_cadillac_challenge/index.html

Z06ified
06-08-11, 04:15 PM

I agree! I love the interior of my CTS-V. I think they should have made the wood trim package standard, as I think it really dresses up the interior. I think many of the press cars don't have the wood trim, and the fake carbon fiber look trim can look cheap to some eyes.

BigJoeD
06-08-11, 07:28 PM
Again I ask, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE INTERIOR"? Other than the forward leaning Recaro Headrests? I have the wood trim and no recaros in mine.

M5eater
06-09-11, 08:30 AM

Again I ask, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE INTERIOR"? Other than the forward leaning Recaro Headrests? I have the wood trim and no recaros in mine.

I believe they're refering to the quality of assembly, some materials and fitment than anything else, because I agree the styling is amazing. The ebony trim will materilize scratches if you come within 2 feet of contact, the fake leather and double-stiching on the dash and door-cards is nice, but it's still faked, and various long-term testers complain about buzzing and rattling noises that develop from every intersection of seperate panel pieces. My V has less than 1,000 miles and the interior buzzes in a few places already. The back seats are fairly children-rated in head-room, and maybe even a bit dull as well in terms of the seat department (the recarro's are so nice it makes the rear bench look like it came from a Buick)

The center console buttons are everywhere, there's no escaping that point in fact. It's simply a mess, and while easy to understand after a while, it still feels like there's just a million buttons. The Paddle shifters on the back of the steering wheel scream cost savings, and do no favors to the rest of an otherwise perfect powertrain. I honestly don't know what they were thinking putting such lousy shifters on a 2011 sports sedan, granted letting the transmission do the shifting is better anyway, but there's still a reason 14K Hyundai's have the things..

The ipod conectivity isn't so fabulous either, and there's more than 1 or 2 brands that have more HDD space.

There's also the deal with the lack of a heads-up display, what's with that? Yes it's a bit out of palce on a normal CTS, but this is a 556HP Corvette crushing V. I'd like the option of using it tyvm.

overal it's fantastic in the looks department, but for a $60-70K car, it doesn't beat it's competitors, which is inevitable to a degree I suppose. However some of it could have been corrected without a cost increase.

mother
06-09-11, 09:09 AM

What's wrong with the headrests? First time I can recall ever having usable ones...

However there are plenty of little things about the interior and at least one major one- the upholstery is CRAP. My friends with even mid-level Merc & BMW's have seat covers that fit properly, no creases, wrinkles, bagginess, not quite right stitch lines, etc. Hell the seat covers in my winter/parking at the mall car (Camry!) are in a different league.

While researching/shopping I did not see a single car whose rear seat wasn't EMBARRASSINGLY poorly covered. If I ordered a couch and it came with such poorly fitting seat covers I'd refuse to pay for it. Even the covers on the Recaro's aren't as good as the stock seats in similarly priced cars- and for close to $2g a piece they should be fine furniture quality.

M5eater
06-09-11, 09:33 AM
However there are plenty of little things about the interior and at least one major one- the upholstery is CRAP. My friends with even mid-level Merc & BMW's have seat covers that fit properly, no creases, wrinkles, bagginess, not quite right stitch lines, etc. Hell the seat covers in my winter/parking at the mall car (Camry!) are in a different league.

While researching/shopping I did not see a single car whose rear seat wasn't EMBARRASSINGLY poorly covered. If I ordered a couch and it came with such poorly fitting seat covers I'd refuse to pay for it. Even the covers on the Recaro's aren't as good as the stock seats in similarly priced cars- and for close to $2g a piece they should be fine furniture quality.

I will say I didn't notice this until you mentioned it, but the reccaro's *are* wrinkling just a bit already. I'm not sure that's because they're poorly covered however, considering how adjustable and flexiable they need to be in order to move around so much.

JFJr
06-09-11, 04:52 PM
Is it possible that there is simply not enough room left in the dash for the current heads-up display equipment, with the clunky dash cut-out, etc.? I would expect a more high tech approach integrated into the windshield, in a year or so.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk)

M5eater
06-10-11, 08:51 AM
Is it possible that there is simply not enough room left in the dash for the current heads-up display equipment, with the clunky dash cut-out, etc.? I would expect a more high tech approach integrated into the windshield, in a year or so.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk)
I would say no, there's plenty of room. The HUD itself isn't that big.
http://superchargedv6.com/hud/parts.jpg
Keeping in mind, that the technology is 10+ years old. The cut-out on the Grand Am's wasen't nearly as exaggerated as the Vette's as you can see. The only reasoning I can think of is because the regular CTS's were not designed to employ it from the begining, and the cost to make a new dash for a sub 3K/year production car was too much.

MotownPimp
06-10-11, 06:44 PM
Man, I love the interior of the Coupe (3.6). Looks great and displays/buttons are well organized & easy to use. Love the red needles on dials and the "extra" storage compartment on top of the console compartment is perfect for sunglasses, vehicle registration, and other small items. I did get the wood trim which does upgrade the appearance.

I would like to see pix of car interiors y'all consider superior.