: New member, 1st caddy- low coolant level warning

nightrider 2004
06-06-11, 05:15 PM
New member.
I just bought a 2004 deville base. 42000 miles, very clean. 2nd week my low coolant warning came on. It was only a few ounces low so I added some coolant and a new cap as the old one was worn. No light for a week then it has been on constantly. Took to dealer and they informed me of a small cross over seal leak. Not sure why the light is staying on even when filled to half way line of tank? maybe the sensor went bad? Question-I know tabs or bars leak is not recommendded anymore but would this hurt as it is such a small leak? Not sure how long i plan on keeping this car and I really dont want to drop $1100 the dealer quoted. Thank you!

Ranger
06-06-11, 09:46 PM
It is more likely a bad sensor or float in the surge tank.

The sealant tabs may well work on a small gasket leak like that. Crossover gaskets are not an easy job as noted by the estimate.

nightrider 2004
06-07-11, 05:23 PM
Thank you Ranger, I think I will start wilh buying a new surge tank, i understand that the sensor cant be replaced and a new tank is required? and then try the sealant tabs if there isnt any harm in adding it. Dealer did state that there was a leak but that it was minimal. Do these cross over seals ever 'blow out" ? Just want to make sure I am not stuck somewhere before i get to this. Thank you in advance.

jordan00escalade
06-07-11, 05:43 PM
You should try removing the tank and cleaning it.. It could be the sensor is dirty/stuck, there is a thread about cleaning them. You may have to do a little hunting with the search feature. I have the same issue with my coolant light (no leaks though). lol I still haven't had the heart to take it out and see if cleaning it will solve the problem. Congrats on your new Cadillac, you post any pictures yet?

BTW.. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

mhamilton
06-07-11, 06:27 PM
To clean the sensor (or rather the magnetic float), you remove the surge tank and rinse it out with clean water, shaking it around to dislodge any old gunk. Repleat until the water comes out clear. Then reinstall and refill.

You can test the sensor off the car, should be closed (0 ohms) when the tank is full, open (infinite resistance) when the tank is empty.

00 Deville
06-07-11, 06:48 PM
A 2004 should not of had any coolant seal tabs installed from the factory... so unless the previous owner installed them the gunk in the tank should be minimal or nill. The tank on my 2004 is as clean as a whistle... couldn't say that for the 02 or 00. If the sensor is bad it is replaceable... just grab the center tang of the electrical connector with a pair of needle nose pliers and the reed switch will pull straight out the bottom of the tank.

Ranger
06-07-11, 11:42 PM
Thank you Ranger, I think I will start wilh buying a new surge tank, i understand that the sensor cant be replaced and a new tank is required? and then try the sealant tabs if there isnt any harm in adding it. Dealer did state that there was a leak but that it was minimal. Do these cross over seals ever 'blow out" ? Just want to make sure I am not stuck somewhere before i get to this. Thank you in advance.

No, you will not have a catastrophic failure. Like most cooling system gaskets, they tend to leak or seep a little. The leak may get a little worse, but WILL NOT "blow out" and leave you stranded. It seems to be a rather common leak point on the 2000+ engines. Mine were replaced while still under warranty.