: Comparison of V1 suspension/handling to V2

Natedog
06-06-11, 04:36 PM
I spend most of my time on the V1 forum since i've had an 07 for 4 years now, but i had the priviledge of driving a V2 sedan over the weekend and was very very impressed with the improvements that have been made. I didn't get a chance to really throw it around in the corners much but some high speed lane changes and firm braking gave me the impression that it's simply a heavy car and and bit less tossable than the V1.. although i did like the overall solid feel the car had and the compliance over rough roads which it displayed... with that said, i'm curious to hear folks feedback who have come from a V1 to a V2 sedan in terms of cornering ability and road course worthiness... i'm sure this has been discussed before but i couldnt turn up anything with search, sry

JOEYCTS-V
06-06-11, 06:48 PM
Both cars handle very good for their size and weight. My V1 felt a little lighter on the turns but the V2 isn't really that much different. There are many people who track their car who can chime in. If you're looking for something more, you can always throw on a set of springs and swaybars.

Natedog
06-06-11, 06:56 PM
Yea, i've had a set of Hotchkis sways on my V1 since the first year of ownership so i would assume the V2 would benefit similarly in body roll and overall firmness with the same application

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 07:42 PM
You hit it on the head, Nate. The V1 is lighter, obviously, and more tossable. I miss that. The V2 certainly can handle well and just seems to dig and dig and dig when you get it hard into corners.

But, ultimately, there are going to be tight sections of courses that the extra 300+ lbs of weight cannot be masked. But if you get it on tracks like Sumit Point Main, VIR(minus the Patriot sector), Watkins Glen, Pocono, it will be a beast the V1 just can't handle...

jimbo1320
06-06-11, 08:29 PM
V2 Feels heaver but will exceed my abilities. My v1 had the Hotchkis sways which was a huge improvment over stock.I did like the quicker turn in on the V1. Larger and stickier tires on the V2 help the handling. Peace!

JFJr
06-06-11, 10:40 PM
The first thing that I noticed coming from my 2005 CTS-V was the increased brake pedal pressure needed to slow the car down. Well, really no surprise given the 400# weight increase for the 2009. I would be curious about the 'Ring times for the V1 vs. the V2. Regardless, both generations are special. But the sound of the LS6 in the V1 was much better, since there was no supercharger interference. I love the V2's very, very solid, confidence-inspiring feel. I can't believe that we're talking about a Cadillac. Ha haa! I love it and these cars always put a smile on my face, even for an old fart like me. I hope that you young s#%*^s appreciate these cars.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk)

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 10:48 PM
V1 was around an 8:13, I believe...

JFJr
06-06-11, 11:17 PM
V1 was around an 8:13, I believe...Thanks, that's very impressive, given that the 1st V1 was a 2004 model year. I also enjoyed the V1's "tossability," and thought that it's steering feel surpassed my 2001 Z51 Corvette. My 2009 is not deficient either. Is this the golden age of performance, or what?

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk)

Tuna
06-07-11, 10:56 AM
7 years in a V1 and 6 months in a V2 Wagon - the only "track" use on either has been the Open Road runs in Texas - not nearly trying to max perform the car.
I certainly liked the feel of the V1 and it turned in quick. I felt like it leaned a little more than I liked but I compared that with my Vettes and that's not a good comparison.
The V2 in my case is about 600# heavier but it sure sticks to the road. Saw 0.71 g's at 110 MPH on the open road and it was glued to the road.
The V2's MagRide is much nicer as a daily driver and it also handles the open road work.
The V2's manual trans is much smoother and easier to shift and the pedals are better placed for H/T work.

Natedog
06-07-11, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the feedback... have folks seen significant improvements with sways, lowering springs, and an aggressive street alignment similar to that used by a lot of V1 owners?

js615
06-07-11, 12:44 PM
5 years in a V1, 2 1/2 weeks in a V2, no tracking yet: The best way I can summarize my opinion is to simply say it feels bigger and heavier - although, it also feels more stable with agressive maneuvers. For overall ride comparsion - hands down, the V2 wins.