: 1969 Calais - Keys in ignition dummy warning problem

outsider
06-06-11, 03:30 PM
In my 69...whenever I open the driver's door the "engine temp" light comes on and there is a buzzer. I read up on this in the factory service manual and it says that this is normal operation for the "keys left in ignition" warning system. (weird...scary even!)

Anyways...What would be a common problem for this to stay on even when keys are removed? Also, anyone know how to remove the key lock cylinder? do I have to take the wheel off for that?

sven914
06-06-11, 05:42 PM
I don't know about removing the ignition cylinder, but that would be a likely place to start. There is a switch that closes when the key is inserted, and it sends a signal to the audio alarm module. When the door is opened, it supplies ground to the alarm module and it begins to chime and illuminates the engine temp lamp. The switch on you ignition is probably shorted to ground.

outsider
06-06-11, 05:43 PM
Thanks Sven. That's what I was thinking, either shorted or stuck closed. Atleast it stops buzzing when the door is shut :D

CADforce69
06-06-11, 09:17 PM
In my '69 no buzzer is heard with or without the key in ignition. I think someone "fixed" the problem the straight way time ago:bigroll:

69Chateau
06-07-11, 01:27 PM
Mine buzzes under the scenario you listed, but if I pull the key out slightly and/or totally remove it from the ignition, it shuts off. My guess is something is sticking in the ignition key cylinder.

albymangled
06-07-11, 09:39 PM
Mine buzzes under the scenario you listed, but if I pull the key out slightly and/or totally remove it from the ignition, it shuts off. My guess is something is sticking in the ignition key cylinder.

So I'm not alone on this one...my 1970 Calais coupe does exactly that too...

CADforce69
06-08-11, 10:21 AM
I think thatīs what the car is supposed to do. In 1969 new features to avoid car theft were introduced; this was aimed to avoid driver leaving the keys in the ignition lock, when he left the car as this was one of the most frequent theft cases. It was like a light alarm but instead of warning of lights on with open door it warns of keys on. I think it was neutralized (as most owners consider it annoying) or out of order in most surviving units.

outsider
06-08-11, 11:00 AM
Yeah the factory service manual says the engine time light and buzzer are supposed to come on when the keys are left in the ignition and the door is opened. My problem is that it stays on when the keys are not in the ignition.

I just need to figure out how to disable it or fix it. Will need to discover how to remove the lock cylinder as the FSM doesn't say how! it says how to rebuild one but not how to remove it or install it. haha.