: Cadillac: Not too shabby.

Lord Cadillac
06-06-11, 10:58 AM
Akerson explained that in order to boost sales of luxury cars, next summer will see the launch of two new Cadillacs: the full-size XTS, which will replace the DTS and STS; and an unnamed compact that's currently being called by many of us, the "ATS." Akerson then immediately cut the knees out from under both products by saying "They're not going to blow the doors off...but they will be very competitive." Huh. Sounds to me like they'll be changing the "Cadillac: Standard of the world" marketing tagline to "Cadillac: Competitive with the standard of the world" or even, "Cadillac: Not too shabby."

Read more... (http://jalopnik.com/5808174/new-cadillacs-wont-be-standard-of-the-world-caterham-hits-the-track-and-porsche-possibly-goes-diesel)

OffThaHorseCEO
06-06-11, 11:12 AM
i was just about to post this. thats pretty ridonk

http://detnews.com/article/20110606/AUTO01/106060342/1148/rss25

Rolex
06-06-11, 11:15 AM
Watering down the luxury line is a bad idea IMB.

I will say I like the looks of the new XTS full size sedan. I sincerely hope they put a powerful engine in it and it's not underpowered like the current full sized offering. I'm thinking the LS7 with an optional LSX engine would be nice. :cool2:

Lord Cadillac
06-06-11, 11:19 AM
i was just about to post this. thats pretty ridonk

http://detnews.com/article/20110606/AUTO01/106060342/1148/rss25

Indeed, ridonk it is... We already knew this about the Cadillac XTS as it's a stop gap vehicle. This is disappointing to hear about the Cadillac ATS, however. I think JimmyH is going to kill everyone when he reads this article.

If the article is basically saying we're not getting a BMW 335i competitor, I can deal with that. Not that I want to - but I can - *IF* we're getting an Infiniti G37 competitor. Any slower than the G37 and the Cadillac ATS needs to wait.. Get it right. Don't release a slow ATS. Cadillac CANNOT have a Buick Regal GS...

For the latest information about the ATS, see http://www.cadillacats.com and the Cadillac ATS forum (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2014-cadillac-ats-coupe-sedan-forum/).

Watering down the luxury line is a bad idea IMB.

I will say I like the looks of the new XTS full size sedan. I sincerely hope they put a powerful engine in it and it's not underpowered like the current full sized offering. I'm thinking the LS7 with an optional LSX engine would be nice. :cool2:

The Cadillac XTS is not getting a V8. It's SUPPOSED to get a twin turbo V6, however...

For the latest information on the XTS, see http://www.cadillacxts.com or the Cadillac XTS forum (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2013-cadillac-xts-concept-forum/).

Lord Cadillac
06-06-11, 11:39 AM
In a recent meeting with engineers, Akerson pressed them to explain the logic behind putting a big 6.2-liter engine in an unspecified car whose competitor has a 4.4-liter turbocharged engine. The engineers replied: "Well, we want to be able to beat the other guy."

Akerson responded: "I don't think the average buyer is going to buy an eight-cylinder, 530-horsepower (car)." His point: Decisions must be supported by a solid business case, and not just for bragging rights or as a marketing tool.

RippyPartsDept
06-06-11, 11:49 AM
so, what does he think of the CTS-V ?

OffThaHorseCEO
06-06-11, 11:52 AM
my response would have been, "because im a man!"

why does gm hire people like this? GM needs someone who is good at handling money but also understands thats its not ALL about the money. Someone who understands power for the sake of power is a good thing even if its only in limited numbers

hueterm
06-06-11, 11:54 AM
F F F Fail!

Lord Cadillac
06-06-11, 11:55 AM
It sounds like Akerson only wants to sell cars to the average buyer. So bye, bye Cadillac.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-06-11, 01:21 PM
It sounds like Akerson only wants to sell cars to the average buyer. So bye, bye Cadillac.

bye bye corvette
bye bye SS anything
hello bland midsize underpowered mom-mobiles

77CDV
06-06-11, 03:21 PM
Evidently, the reports of Roger Smith's death were greatly exagerated. :nono:

SDCaddyLacky
06-06-11, 04:04 PM
That Akerson guy needs to go! He is slowly going to ruin GM all over again by building cars "just to get by". He's not even confident about the new XTS, "It's not going to blow the doors off". Really? Why would you say that?. His mindset is scary, comparing cars to a can of coke? What an idiotic statement. He is saying that cars are disposable, so why put so much effort into R&D and quality? He needs to go! Hopefully the shareholders vote his ass out soon, and replace him with someone within GM, a person that has been working for the company for a long time. They need to stop bringing in "Businessman" from other corporations that are not car savvy and don't really car about truly being competitive throughout the world in terms of styling and design.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-06-11, 04:16 PM
they need business men of course, someone who isnt going to blow all of GM's cash on the best car in the world that the masses wont buy. so of course we do need coke can cars for the masses. but we also need bragging rights cars. cars that make people ask "why?" so i can reply "cause im a man!" or "because i can!"

i dont agree with your car being your most prized possesion, but to many people, it is. they have shitty lives or shitty wives. shitty jobs and the only thing that keeps them going is not stepping into a honda civic when they finish their boring work shift.

RippyPartsDept
06-06-11, 04:48 PM
what they need is an engineer, like ford got with mullally ... someone who understands the products from concept to showroom

gdwriter
06-06-11, 04:52 PM
what they need is an engineer, like ford got with mullally ... someone who understands the products from concept to showroomI wish GM could lure Alan Mulally away from Ford; he's done great work there. Considering all the delays caused by too much outsourcing on the 787, I'll bet a lot of people at Boeing wish Mulally was still there.

orconn
06-06-11, 05:03 PM
Bean counters have been the death of many an American company. I hope GM makes a change in leadership before it is too late!

Ben Franklin's "Little Richard's Alamnac" identified the problem 200 years agao "Pennywise and pound foolish."

RippyPartsDept
06-06-11, 05:42 PM
I wish GM could lure Alan Mulally away from Ford; he's done great work there. Considering all the delays caused by too much outsourcing on the 787, I'll bet a lot of people at Boeing wish Mulally was still there.

i've seen a couple interviews w/ mullally an he really impressed me - my biggest jealousy against ford is for their CEO :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-06-11, 07:06 PM
If everyone else had the "just good enough" business mentality that Akerson seems to have, then there'd be a lot more unemployment across the US.

Night Wolf
06-06-11, 08:33 PM
"Just Enough" - Reminds me off all the lame attempts GM made to try and compete with the Germans in the late 80s and 90s.... like the "Euro" Lumina. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what makes a car "Euro" - apparently to GM it was blacked out trim, spoilers, bench seats and column-shifted automatics!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/03162011354.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/03162011355.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/03162011357.jpg

Then again, maybe the "euro" thing was just a decoration - because if they honestly thought that was a worthy attempt to rivial any of the major "Euro" players, then "fail miserably" is an understatement. Maybe it looked stylish (for its' time), but did they want to be a poser or a something to take seriously?

Night Wolf
06-06-11, 08:48 PM
GM can even save more money by using this old Hyundai ad... simply dub over a new 3-series and swap out the Hyundai for a Cadillac!

GULw3aGfMUc

Cause that sounds exactly like whats about to happen (well has been...)

drewsdeville
06-06-11, 08:54 PM
To me, "euro" is a styling statement and means nothing for performance. I find Americans usually relate the word "euro" to "trendy", not "performance" or "German. Interesting how others interpret it.

Night Wolf
06-06-11, 09:27 PM
To me, "euro" is a styling statement and means nothing for performance. I find Americans usually relate the word "euro" to "trendy", not "performance" or "German. Interesting how others interpret it.

Maybe it was all about "looks"

MwtVuJ6F29k&NR=1

These are better than most comedians!

YqYuZMxmO0w

fge1IPEKm4E&feature=related

Atleast GM dropped the actual "Euro" names... but it still looks like they are playing the same old game... just like in 90s with excellent engines in cars with rubbermaid interiors, and just like they apparently plan on doing according to the OP. If that's what works for them, good but Albert Einstein once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

EChas3
06-06-11, 09:35 PM
No V8 = No Sale to me.

Destroyer
06-06-11, 10:01 PM
That Akerson guy needs to go! He is slowly going to ruin GM all over again by building cars "just to get by". He's not even confident about the new XTS, "It's not going to blow the doors off". Really? Why would you say that?. It's probably the most honest statement anyone has said about Cadillac as a whole over the last 3 decades. Too bad he's not looking to change that.

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 10:12 PM
bye bye corvette
bye bye SS anything
hello bland midsize underpowered mom-mobiles

Overreact much?

gdwriter
06-06-11, 10:15 PM
I can see next year's advertising slogan: "Cadillac: At least we're better than Lincoln." :helpless:

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 10:24 PM
You guys don't get it.

Everyone is pining for Mullaly and what an awesome job he has done for Ford. Know what he did? He reigned in spending. He cut down on R&D. He sold off Jaguar and Rover. He killed Mercury. And know what else he did? He had Ford make cars good enough TO GET BY. Now, with their credit in order, he has directed Ford into some of the busiest times ever. They've turned over their entire fleet and have designed many new engines.

GM tried to stay afloat in the worst economy since the Depression. Ford reigned everything in. Now, if GM is reigning everything in, too bad it's so late. But it's just what Ford had to do. Are there Mercury fans who are butt-hurt? Yeah. Did Ford loyalists have a tough time getting by while Cadillac was rolling out the CTS and V variants, the XLR and a number of new Chevys? You bet.

All your revisionists history is laughable. I don't like Akerson. But there is no denying you can throw money at whatever you deem fit as an enthusiast and expect to sell to the masses. Right now, GM needs to cater to the masses and get by in the meantime until their books are in order. Bitch about no V8, in August Lincoln will no longer have a V8 in their lineup. And the only V8 out now is the old, underpowered 4.6 that goes in the last of the fleet Town Cars.

So undo your panties and STFU...

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 10:24 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Stingroo
06-06-11, 11:20 PM
I don't say this often, but Jim wins.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-07-11, 12:07 AM
To me, "Euro" means sportier and more of a performance car than other offerings at their time. The Eurosport Chevys are a joke today, but they weren't bad in the '80s. Even the name sounds ridiculous now, but atleast you won't forget it.

gdwriter
06-07-11, 12:42 AM
Everyone is pining for Mullaly and what an awesome job he has done for Ford. Know what he did? He reigned in spending. He cut down on R&D. He sold off Jaguar and Rover. He killed Mercury. And know what else he did? He had Ford make cars good enough TO GET BY. Now, with their credit in order, he has directed Ford into some of the busiest times ever. They've turned over their entire fleet and have designed many new engines.I don't see anything wrong with what Mullaly did. He did what was necessary to keep Ford afloat and avoid bankruptcy. Killing off Mercury was a no-brainer. It had been withering on the vine for a decade or more. The Fusion was — and is — a good car (thank you, Mazda), as is the Mustang. And as you point out, Ford has since been on a tear with new product development. I don't see any complacency from the Blue Oval.

An example of Ford getting by would be the mediocre previous generation Focus; the 2012 version has vaulted to the head of the compact class. I've read several comparison tests, and the Focus has come out on top or a strong second. The Cruze, unfortunately, is toward the back of the pack in these comparisons. It's a major step up from the Cobalt, but GM needs to aim for being better than the competition, not just better than the car it's replacing.

There are flashes of brilliance at GM: the CTS, Corvette and Camaro. The Malibu, Cruze and Regal are all competitive, if flawed. I just don't want to see GM get complacent again; Akerson's statement indicate he's at least heading in that direction. You'd never here something like that out of Bob Lutz.

BTW, my shorts were never in a wad over this. To borrow a phrase from teh grate Arties, cool your jets, Harriet.

thebigjimsho
06-07-11, 12:52 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what Mullaly did. He did what was necessary to keep Ford afloat and avoid bankruptcy. Killing off Mercury was a no-brainer. It had been withering on the vine for a decade or more. The Fusion was and is a good car (thank you, Mazda), as is the Mustang. And as you point out, Ford has since been on a tear with new product development. I don't see any complacency from the Blue Oval.

An example of Ford getting by would be the mediocre previous generation Focus; the 2012 version has vaulted to the head of the compact class. I've read several comparison tests, and the Focus has come out on top or a strong second. The Cruze, unfortunately, is toward the back of the pack in these comparisons. It's a major step up from the Cobalt, but GM needs to aim for being better than the competition, not just better than the car it's replacing.

There are flashes of brilliance at GM: the CTS, Corvette and Camaro. The Malibu, Cruze and Regal are all competitive, if flawed. I just don't want to see GM get complacent again; Akerson's statement indicate he's at least heading in that direction. You'd never here something like that out of Bob Lutz.

BTW, my shorts were never in a wad over this. To borrow a phrase from teh grate Arties, cool your jets, Harriet.
I'm not saying Mulally did anything wrong. I admire what he's done. What I'm finding laughable is all this moaning and crying about Akerson's comments about 2 cars that aren't even close to finished yet and pointing to Ford when Ford had to do exactly what GM is doing now.

So let's end the hypocrisy, people...

RippyPartsDept
06-07-11, 01:03 AM
i was the one pointing at ford... and i wasn't whining about ackerson (at least i don't think i was)

i think we've got some signals crossed... there's two different discussions going on here (both valid, and pretty good... so far)

at least that's how i see it

gdwriter
06-07-11, 01:36 AM
I still wish Mulally had stayed at Boeing. The FUBAR over the 787 outsourcing is embarrassing.

77CDV
06-07-11, 02:11 AM
Ben Franklin's "Little Richard's Alamnac"

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr123/illseeyoupigsinhell/little-richard-v3.jpg

Stingroo
06-07-11, 02:16 AM
^ :lol: Win.

orconn - you were thinking POOR Richard's Almanack. (Craig takes the cake for lulz though)

77CDV
06-07-11, 02:18 AM
I like cake!

Stingroo
06-07-11, 02:22 AM
I like turtles.

gdwriter
06-07-11, 02:43 AM
p00p

Playdrv4me
06-07-11, 04:46 AM
You guys don't get it.

Everyone is pining for Mullaly and what an awesome job he has done for Ford. Know what he did? He reigned in spending. He cut down on R&D. He sold off Jaguar and Rover. He killed Mercury. And know what else he did? He had Ford make cars good enough TO GET BY. Now, with their credit in order, he has directed Ford into some of the busiest times ever. They've turned over their entire fleet and have designed many new engines.

GM tried to stay afloat in the worst economy since the Depression. Ford reigned everything in. Now, if GM is reigning everything in, too bad it's so late. But it's just what Ford had to do. Are there Mercury fans who are butt-hurt? Yeah. Did Ford loyalists have a tough time getting by while Cadillac was rolling out the CTS and V variants, the XLR and a number of new Chevys? You bet.

All your revisionists history is laughable. I don't like Akerson. But there is no denying you can throw money at whatever you deem fit as an enthusiast and expect to sell to the masses. Right now, GM needs to cater to the masses and get by in the meantime until their books are in order. Bitch about no V8, in August Lincoln will no longer have a V8 in their lineup. And the only V8 out now is the old, underpowered 4.6 that goes in the last of the fleet Town Cars.

So undo your panties and STFU...

I sincerely hope Mullaly shifts his focus to Lincoln now, because as I detailed in that MKS thread, Lincoln has been hopelessly left to flounder in the midst of all the Ford hubbub. Lincoln is as OUT of touch at the moment, as Ford is IN touch. Cadillac at least retains some vision and spark for now.

The Tony Show
06-09-11, 10:06 AM
Maybe he just meant that these aren't intended to be showcases for the brand's capabilities? I don't think BMW was running around claiming the non-M 1 series was going to "blow people's doors off", nor does Audi make such claims about the new A4.

Sounds to me like it was some frank talk letting the interviewer know that these products are filling gaps in the lineup, not totally reinventing Cadillac like a future flagship will. Definitely too frank for my tastes, as I'd prefer him to be gung ho about them, but it's not surprising coming from a guy who's a businessman and not a marketer.

The Tony Show
06-09-11, 10:14 AM
Ford got lucky. They failed two years before the economy collapsed, when times were good and people were buying cars in droves. Ford took $23B in loans (http://www.theledger.com/article/20090416/NEWS/904165062/1178?Title=Well-Timed-Loans-Set-Ford-Apart-From-Its-Rivals) on everything from their factories to their office buildings, and got them from private banks because everyone was lending at the time.

I'm not belittling Mullaly, because I think he's done some good stuff there and given them a direction. I'm just sick of this attitude that Ford didn't need Government loans because of how sooper awesome they and their business practices are. They simply had the good timing of reaching the point of insolvency at a time when banks were willing to lend money, therefore they avoided the "bailout" stigma. Because of the huge cash infusion they got from their last ditch effort of mortgaging everything they own, they got a 2 year head start over GM and Chrysler on turning around their product line. The end.

RippyPartsDept
06-09-11, 12:53 PM
very good observations opinions and facts there tony

OffThaHorseCEO
06-09-11, 01:46 PM
Maybe he just meant that these aren't intended to be showcases for the brand's capabilities? I don't think BMW was running around claiming the non-M 1 series was going to "blow people's doors off", nor does Audi make such claims about the new A4.

Sounds to me like it was some frank talk letting the interviewer know that these products are filling gaps in the lineup, not totally reinventing Cadillac like a future flagship will. Definitely too frank for my tastes, as I'd prefer him to be gung ho about them, but it's not surprising coming from a guy who's a businessman and not a marketer.

BMW also didnt say "these cars are nothing special", neither did Audi.
As you said he should be excited about them, or at least act excited about them.

orconn
06-09-11, 02:29 PM
""As president of GM, I sincerely recommend you pay the premium price we charge for our Cadillac Division cars, I honestly have to tell you, though, they are "nothing special" but what the hay .... that's the car biz!""

The Tony Show
06-09-11, 03:05 PM
At a press conference shortly after being hired at Ford, Alan Mulally said his Lexus LS430 was the best car on the planet.

CEOs say dumb things. Number of people who will actually hear them? Pretty small.

RippyPartsDept
06-09-11, 04:25 PM
i heard mullally say the same thing in an interview about a year and a half ago
basically he was driving a lexus when he got hired and thought it was the best car out there (that's why he was driving it)
he also said that all the ford execs drive the competition's vehicles so they can be aware of the market and their competition

OffThaHorseCEO
06-09-11, 04:28 PM
i heard mullally say the same thing in an interview about a year and a half ago
basically he was driving a lexus when he got hired and thought it was the best car out there (that's why he was driving it)
he also said that all the ford execs drive the competition's vehicles so they can be aware of the market and their competition

good excuse haha

Night Wolf
06-09-11, 07:08 PM
I don't think BMW was running around claiming the non-M 1 series was going to "blow people's doors off",

Well, they didn't have the 1-series in 1987, but this was the entry level BMW.

N5xy223zQsw&feature=related

They even said "Blow the doors off" too :yup:

Or a model last made in 1976...

MEo8Hsq5DYQ

Even the entry-level 5-series, just like my e28 - the 528e. The car that doesn't get much love because it was made for lazy Americans that didn't want to see a tach move above "5".

Un3xKy-mcyw

This one makes me LOL, "that's why our status symbol is under the hood, not on it" - 7-series.

ySdHr2s9z9s

3-series in general, which for quite a long time was the entry level BMW:

bWl8ERzgZWs&feature=related

Or their entry-level SUV:

o7taz2tffbA&feature=related

But you did say 1-series... somehow I don't get the "good enough" vibe from this. Actually gives off the vibe like it is the only car that matters and makes me want one - well, I already did (convertible!) but it has me thinking about them again!

Zs0-SW-NrfY

*Edit for Kermit!

MGzag6tA9WU&feature

From all these comercials including the entry level cars, in a span of over 3 decades - I somehow to not get the feeling of "catching up" at all, compared to many GM comercials. In fact, I get the feeling of setting the standard, while even poking a little fun on the very stuff this thread is about.

Lord Cadillac
06-09-11, 09:56 PM
This video is kinda funny... I know, it's posted above.. But I like the one below it...
o7taz2tffbA
lEvpnKRLDO4

gary88
06-09-11, 10:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/lK5gB.jpg

thebigjimsho
06-09-11, 10:32 PM
Much ado about nothing...

Lord Cadillac
06-09-11, 10:56 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-audio/cadillac-pretty-darn-good.wav

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 07:13 AM
Ford got lucky. They failed two years before the economy collapsed, when times were good and people were buying cars in droves. Ford took $23B in loans (http://www.theledger.com/article/20090416/NEWS/904165062/1178?Title=Well-Timed-Loans-Set-Ford-Apart-From-Its-Rivals) on everything from their factories to their office buildings, and got them from private banks because everyone was lending at the time.

I'm not belittling Mullaly, because I think he's done some good stuff there and given them a direction. I'm just sick of this attitude that Ford didn't need Government loans because of how sooper awesome they and their business practices are. They simply had the good timing of reaching the point of insolvency at a time when banks were willing to lend money, therefore they avoided the "bailout" stigma. Because of the huge cash infusion they got from their last ditch effort of mortgaging everything they own, they got a 2 year head start over GM and Chrysler on turning around their product line. The end.

All that an Lincoln still hardly exists to automotive enthusiasts, much less the general public?

Playdrv4me
06-10-11, 08:11 AM
No, Ford got lucky because they had a slew of assets to sell which helped them APPEAR solvent in the short term. I've said it before and I'll say it again... Yea you can keep your house if you sell every piece of furniture you own to keep the mortgage paid, but you'll be sitting on the floor. Ford sold or mortgaged everything down to the bare walls (and probably some of those too), raising enough cash to remain solvent. Unfortunate, since brands like Land Rover, which cost them pennies when BMW off-loaded it, were doing well.

Time will tell if leaving all their eggs in the few baskets they have left will be a successful move in the long term.

By the way... Not gonna lie, the LS430 is one damn fine car. I for one don't mind Mullaly using that as a benchmark (despite the fact that the 430 isn't as good as the 400... but that's a subject for another day).

The Tony Show
06-10-11, 11:12 AM
All that an Lincoln still hardly exists to automotive enthusiasts, much less the general public?

Comparing an entire OEM (Ford) to a single brand division (Cadillac) isn't exactly apples to apples, but let's look at it that way for fun.

Ford is getting raves and earning back the respect of magazines and the public for their entry products like the Fiesta and Fusion, not their top of the line Lincolns. They're rebuilding from the ground up with competitive product that doesn't "blow anyone's doors off", but it's competent, well built and gets decent fuel economy. Once those mass market products sell a few hundred thousand units, they'll have the cash and the brand equity to start building a proper Lincoln and convincing people it's worth buying.

Cadillac's strategy is similar. Get products like the ATS and XTS on the road and make them competitive, competent and well built. Once those mass market products sell tens of thousands of units, they'll have the cash and the brand equity to start building a proper Cadillac and convincing people it's worth buying.

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 12:12 PM
i sure hope you're right

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 03:07 PM
lEvpnKRLDO4

I have never seen that before - Very awesome! Though the requester of 1-series promotion wanted non-M...

My next "big" car purchase is a toss up between a Mini Cooper, BMW 1-series or recent Dodge Challenger - quite across the board but I'd really have to spend time driving each to see which I'd prefer.

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 03:13 PM
Comparing an entire OEM (Ford) to a single brand division (Cadillac) isn't exactly apples to apples, but let's look at it that way for fun.

I never compared Ford to Cadillac. I simply mentioned how after all that change and one-up that Ford got - Lincoln continues to slip away.

I'm not talking about this website either. I mean car folks in general. On the other automotive message boards I got go to as well as people I talk with face to face - coworkers, friends, people I meet in town etc... Just general "car folks" including big time Ford fans. Lincoln is simply never brought up anymore, mentioned, talked about or really considered. I hear about most all other major brands sold in the US. I honestly can't remember the last time someone mentioned Lincoln in a conversation period - and when I think way back, it wasn't anything made after '05 or so.

The Tony Show
06-10-11, 03:21 PM
I wasn't saying you were comparing Ford to Cadillac- I was putting that analogy out there all on my own.

My point was that a flagship "blow your doors off" car is to Cadillac what Lincoln is to Ford right now- not their first priority. They need to get the rest of the house in order, sort out their technology and build profitability through the lower end, higher volume product before they can focus on the big guns.

It seems like the same people bemoaning the lack of new Lincoln product are the same ones crying about Cadillac not fast-tracking a flagship program, and the reason is the same for both of them.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-10-11, 03:34 PM
we definitely need a super lux personal luxury convertible powered by 3 zr1 engines fused together (V24) and with the interior made of pure wood with alcantara accents

the only thing i can think of thats wrong with that though is the chevy engines
:hide:

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 04:25 PM
Lame. V32 would be much more like it - plus it honors Cadillac's steller track record in the 80s and 90s! Remember all those 32v Northstar badges? Well, linking the past with present and future they can reverse that badge - V32 RatsHT-RON (even including the HT4100!)!! What does the "RON" part stand for? Simple! "Retro" Or "New"! How? Easy! When you buy that mega luxo barge you get the choice of not only a V32, but TWO V32s! Using the same "fusing" technology as the 3 common ZR1 engines, you now get to choose from two fused nearly 100-year old Cadillac V16's or two fused never-put-in-production Cadillac V16s! Amazing!

http://www.sigbrokers.com/images/1930-Cadillac-V16-Phaeton-engine.jpg

http://www.autofiends.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/v16engine.jpg

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 04:30 PM
http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/2422222772.html

For sale in my neighborhood

that car is the only reason i've talked about Lincoln in a while

OffThaHorseCEO
06-10-11, 04:38 PM
Lame. V32 would be much more like it - plus it honors Cadillac's steller track record in the 80s and 90s! Remember all those 32v Northstar badges? Well, linking the past with present and future they can reverse that badge - V32 RatsHT-RON (even including the HT4100!)!! What does the "RON" part stand for? Simple! "Retro" Or "New"! How? Easy! When you buy that mega luxo barge you get the choice of not only a V32, but TWO V32s! Using the same "fusing" technology as the 3 common ZR1 engines, you now get to choose from two fused nearly 100-year old Cadillac V16's or two fused never-put-in-production Cadillac V16s! Amazing!

http://www.sigbrokers.com/images/1930-Cadillac-V16-Phaeton-engine.jpg

http://www.autofiends.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/v16engine.jpg

a v64?!?!?!?! OMGzerrzzz. can i haz turboz?

orconn
06-10-11, 06:25 PM
http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/2422222772.html

For sale in my neighborhood

that car is the only reason i've talked about Lincoln in a while

Chad should be on that Mark V like a skunk on a Junebug!

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 06:35 PM
Well it's still for sale afaik... the window had $3800 on it, but i guess they're down to $3500 now

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 09:39 PM
a v64?!?!?!?! OMGzerrzzz. can i haz turboz?

dood, dont be unreal here. crankshaft flex would start to become an issue at that point, plus the V64 would make less power cause it would have to be made with 2 V16 and 2 old V16, thats just how it works, see look:

185hp + 185hp = 370hp if "Retro" optioned.

1000hp + 1000hp = 2000hp is "new" optioned.

Since the V64 shares two different engine outputs, they must be averaged (DUH!) so it would work like this:

1000hp + 185hp = 1185hp/2 (cause of old and new engines mixed) = 592.5hp x2 (cause theres 4 engines total) = 1185hp. See so it doesn't really make sense for the V64 option, plus engine weight would be high and then it make start blowing head gaskets out of waranty because of 80yr old cast iron being fused with alunimum, keep it simple K?

Stingroo
06-10-11, 10:43 PM
Thomas says this thread is a train wreck:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/06/18/business/19thomas-600.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
06-10-11, 10:56 PM
dood, dont be unreal here.:histeric:

i guess a v64 is bragging rights eniugh. ill probably end up throwing a CAI, a super helix intake insert that straightens airflow then carefully cyclonifies it, some quadruple platinum tipped spark plugs and an o pipe on it anyway to squeeze a few more horses out of it

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-10-11, 11:45 PM
Chad should be on that Mark V like a skunk on a Junebug!

Sure, let me call up my swiss banker and have him wire me the money. :)

OffThaHorseCEO
06-11-11, 12:21 AM
Sure, let me call up my swiss banker and have him wire me the money. :)i got 5 on it

Aron9000
06-11-11, 02:46 AM
^ See I don't agree with this whole "Cadillac needs to get its house in order" crap before they start building a flagship. They've got the BIG SUV thing covered in spades(and that should be getting redesigned for 2013 or so anyways), they have the smaller car thing covered with the CTS(although I think it could use a midcycle refresh), they have a small crossover that is really selling well.

Cadillac has three gaping holes in its product lineup IMO:
Larger crossover that seats 7, something between the size of the SRX and Escalade
A 4 seat convertible
A flagship luxury sedan

Toyota went balls out with the LS400 in 1990 and made the world take notice. Why can't Cadillac do the same??? The new FWD XTS abomination is 10 steps backwards IMO, nobody builds a real luxury car that is FWD. The ES350, Acura TL, Lincoln MKZ, Toyota Avalon, all of those are those kind of "we're good enough" type of cars. Cadillac should set its mark higher like Toyota did all those years ago.

Night Wolf
06-11-11, 03:10 AM
^ See I don't agree with this whole "Cadillac needs to get its house in order" crap before they start building a flagship. They've got the BIG SUV thing covered in spades(and that should be getting redesigned for 2013 or so anyways), they have the smaller car thing covered with the CTS(although I think it could use a midcycle refresh), they have a small crossover that is really selling well.

Cadillac has three gaping holes in its product lineup IMO:
Larger crossover that seats 7, something between the size of the SRX and Escalade
A 4 seat convertible
A flagship luxury sedan

Toyota went balls out with the LS400 in 1990 and made the world take notice. Why can't Cadillac do the same??? The new FWD XTS abomination is 10 steps backwards IMO, nobody builds a real luxury car that is FWD. The ES350, Acura TL, Lincoln MKZ, Toyota Avalon, all of those are those kind of "we're good enough" type of cars. Cadillac should set its mark higher like Toyota did all those years ago.

Apparently since I've been away for a while - FWD luxury cars are the new "in" thing cause most folks don't care!

77CDV
06-11-11, 04:20 AM
Cadillac: we're good enough, we're smart enough, and doggonit, people like us!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/khouse29/smalley.jpg