: What do you like that you didn't think you would?

billc83
06-05-11, 08:17 PM
The last two weekends I've done some hiking. I never thought I would like it before I started; I thought myself too much of a neat-freak to go trampling through the woods. Probably a side-effect me trying to get into better shape, I decided one day just to try it out.

Now, after only my first two hikes, it would seem I'm hooked. I'm looking forward to hitting the trail and possibly even doing some overnight trips during the summer!

So, What do you like that you didn't think you would?

Aron9000
06-07-11, 02:58 AM
Yard work. My condo I moved into last year has a little flower bed and small yard(like 20x20) that I have to take care of. So far I've chopped out two overgrown bushes, swinging the axe was quite fun, a lot more fun that digging out the stump. Really though its the instant gratification, nothing like planting flowers and just watching them take off.

EcSTSatic
06-07-11, 09:40 AM
Spinach. As kids we had to eat that spinach from a can crap. I love a fresh spinach salad!

amunderdog
06-07-11, 10:00 AM
The last two weekends I've done some hiking. I never thought I would like it before I started; I thought myself too much of a neat-freak to go trampling through the woods. Probably a side-effect me trying to get into better shape, I decided one day just to try it out.

Now, after only my first two hikes, it would seem I'm hooked. I'm looking forward to hitting the trail and possibly even doing some overnight trips during the summer!

So, What do you like that you didn't think you would?

Your in Gods country:) Grew up there. You can even just go out and roll in the grass if you like.

Here we have ticks - chiggers and poisonous snakes. Just walking out to the car can be a painful event. But i love it here:)

Me
Less than ideal woman.
I am getting old and do not see so good (that helps)
They usually know how to please:)

OffThaHorseCEO
06-07-11, 10:12 AM
COFFEE

i used to even hate the smell of coffee. now my day is weird if i dont have some in the am. not to the extreme like some people claim (i think they exaggerate), I dont snap at people or get in a crappy mood, i just dont FEEL right the whole day

Sevillian273
06-07-11, 11:59 AM
Less than ideal woman.
I am getting old and do not see so good (that helps)
They usually know how to please:)

:histeric:

STS_Seville_Hunter
06-07-11, 02:44 PM
Cadillac.

gdwriter
06-07-11, 02:59 PM
Broccoli, asparagus and green beans

I grew up on canned vegetables boiled within an inch of their lives. I buy fresh produce and use a steamer so they're cooked, but still crisp. I can't stand soggy vegetables.

Also coffee. Always loved the smell, but black was too bitter. Had a duh! moment when I realized since I hate milk, why the hell was I putting it in coffee? Now, I put in two sugars for a standard mug (three for a large travel mug), and I'm happy as a clam. First thing I do when I get to the office is brew a pot.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-07-11, 03:10 PM
Also coffee. Always loved the smell, but black was too bitter. Had a duh! moment when I realized since I hate milk, why the hell was I putting it in coffee? Now, I put in two sugars for a standard mug (three for a large travel mug), and I'm happy as a clam. First thing I do when I get to the office is brew a pot.

I LOVE the smell of strong espresso or even strong coffee...

I think i really got hooked on our trip to spain. before that we mostly drank mcdonalds/starbucks/dunkin donuts, it was more of a novelty than anything. When we went to Spain we had a fresh cup every morning and it was some of the richest coffee id ever tasted. At first we were shocked at how strong/rich it was but when we came home we noticed everything we drank was very weak. We ended up getting a good coffee pot and a cheap espresso machine. i can tell you that the espresso machine we have isnt the best by a longshot, but the stuff we brew tastes 10 times better than anything i ever bought/buy at starbucks/mcds/dunkin donuts

jordan00escalade
06-07-11, 03:25 PM
being a kid.

vincentm
06-07-11, 04:47 PM
Fist fight, never liked em, but lately I think I need to get in one to releasesome pent up frustration, plus its been awhile since I cracked someone upside their noggin.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my Northstar powered phone

Submariner409
06-07-11, 05:55 PM
Oysters on the half shell - in the R months.

ThumperPup
06-07-11, 05:58 PM
zip Lining man
that is the bomb
i was like hell no im not going to let that darn cable hold my wait over the rivver at 500 feet in the air LOL
but it did man that was some fun stuff this past trip

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-07-11, 06:12 PM
I'm with OTHCEO on Coffee. I didn't like it until a few years back, then I went out with a girl who was a coffee nut, and she got me hooked. Now I can't go a morning without some sort of coffee otherwise I feel weird....zoned out.

ThumperPup
06-07-11, 06:24 PM
coffee grose i tried it ones and never again still didnt like it lol
now give me some tea and milk and im good

Stingroo
06-07-11, 06:53 PM
Tea is life.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-07-11, 07:03 PM
Fabio lion agrees
http://www.agent-seo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/circle-of-life-seo.JPG

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-07-11, 07:03 PM
I can't stand tea. Only had it a few times when I go to my british aunt and uncles' place, but never could warm to it.

orconn
06-07-11, 07:39 PM
Grits! When I was a twelve year old returning from Brazil I became very sick a few days after arriving back in the States. My family had reentered the U.S. in Miami and we were due to drive our new 1957 Olds 98 four door Holiday back up the East Coast to an Aunt's home in New Jersey. Well, I made it to Myrtle Beach, S.C and had to be hospitalized. For those of you who don't know one of the treatments for Hepatitis is a no fat diet, I mean no fat whatsoever. So I was stuck in this hospital in 1950's Myrtle Beach and was forced to eat "no fat" hospital food. If I didn't eat it they would stick needles the size of small straws in my arm and feed me intravenously.

It was this way that I was introduced to "grits." Not just grits, but hospital grits with nothing on them. They tasted like drying corn paste and it was all I could do to swallow them. The eggs, and other "no fat" food I was forced to eat wasn't much better. You have to understand I wasn't a Southern boy and had never tasted "grits" in my life or been aware there was such a stuff except from a mention of them in the movies. I swore I would never each grits again as long as I lived!

In 1967 I was posted to a place called Kagnew Station in what was then Ethiopia (no longer an American field station it is now in Eritrea). We were one of the U.S. military's most isolated bases and the only one in Africa at the time. On occasion I would have a bit too much to drink and the next morning wander into the club with a royal hangover. One morning along with ham and eggs I was presented with a side of grits, but these grits had been topped with melted butter. So against my better judgment I put some salt and pepper on top and took a spoon full just to give the grits a try. Served this way I really liked the taste, and they slide down my throat with no problem. From that day forward "grits" were a staple of my breakfast meal. I also grew to love ice tea and to this day I have been a avid drinker of ice tea. Both these items are now become part of my life the result of my East African sojourn.

jordan00escalade
06-07-11, 07:59 PM
artichoke.. this past Easter had dinner with the in-laws, they put some on the grill. Now I've been dodging the artichoke many-a-meal for the past 8-9 years lol. Since it was put on the grill and smelled pretty good, I tried it. I thought I was gonna gag but, went down without a hitch. I'm still not sure how much I like artichoke, but I don't dislike it cooked on the grill.

ThumperPup
06-07-11, 08:18 PM
oh Artichoke's are awesome i just bought 2 at the grocer a few hours ago
going to make them and warm some butter up for dinner tomorrow yummmmmmmm
and White Asparagus

Stingroo
06-07-11, 08:21 PM
Iced tea is excellent.

Grits... I'm not so sure. They look like baby spit-up. I don't know about that.

As for me: my entry to this thread would be gator tail. I was like "What the hell are you talking about? You can't eat that!" but I caved, and I have to say it is quite delicious.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-07-11, 09:06 PM
I tried cheesy grits for the first time a few weeks ago, and I wasn't too impressed or put-off. They seemed like a mix of watery rice and mashed potatoes.

Stingroo
06-07-11, 09:11 PM
Watery rice is a cardinal sin in a Hispanic household.

cadillac kevin
06-07-11, 10:44 PM
texting or facebook. until I tried them I thought nothing good can come of them. now I can talk to people without talking to them (I still like talking on the phone more that typing to people). I guess I'm still old fashioned.

ThumperPup
06-08-11, 10:19 AM
i sighed up for face book a month ago for one purpose and one purpose only
to friend my favorite restaurant and get a discount on my Sunday Brunch LOL
i still dont like face book and thinking of deleting my account if its possible because i don't need it

RightTurn
06-09-11, 12:35 AM
Beer.

Ok, nevermind. I always knew I would like it. :alchi:

OffThaHorseCEO
06-09-11, 10:48 AM
haha...well, honestly, beer!

Ive always hated beer, its too bitter and nasty and doesnt even get you drunk as fast as liquor.

Then i discovered corona with lime

Aron9000
06-11-11, 05:13 AM
Really, Corona with a lime:ack:

I'd much rather have a PBR, or hell even a Natty Light. I swear Corona is the worst tasting beer ever.

If you ever want to know what style of beer mainstream American brews were based on, go take a swig of this

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0WtDjBslMxmQGv5Gg0CAFnKgJaImTP oI653igNryQT4t6BHbtUA

Just as a general tip, never drink a beer bottled in a green or clear bottle. Light penetrates the bottle, and skunks the hops, thus your beer smells and tastes "skunky". If you want a really wild beer, go try some Belgian Trappist ales, in Tennessee you have to buy them in a liquor store since the abv is so high.

ben.gators
06-11-11, 05:17 AM
Internet!

billc83
06-11-11, 10:07 AM
Just as a general tip, never drink a beer bottled in a green or clear bottle. Light penetrates the bottle, and skunks the hops, thus your beer smells and tastes "skunky". If you want a really wild beer, go try some Belgian Trappist ales, in Tennessee you have to buy them in a liquor store since the abv is so high.

Sam Adams is saying that in its commercials now. They even make the box packaging taller so less light will get through. I've never been a big fan of beer myself (hard alcohol has always been my drink of choice); maybe in the spirit of this thread I should go pick some up...