: Decent day at the yard and maybe a new project.

Angry Matt
06-05-11, 06:56 PM
I finally made it to the local yard today and scored a set of rear bumperettes and a few hubcaps to add to my collection. On the way back I decided to take a ride down this dead end road in a city that's on the way. A few months back I was working in a nearby apartment complex and through the bushes saw the roof of a two door fwb. I don't know if any of you know my fascination with these cars, but it's been for a long time. So I go down this road to discover an obviously undriven fwb coupe d'elegance. It's been hit in the rear quarter, but probably not to the extent of frame damage. I need a new home for my 472 and 90 parts so this may be perfect. I got no answer at the door. I'm not sure if I should leave a note or just try the door again later in the week. I'm afraid a note will arouse some suspicion that there may be value to the car and I want it for nothing. (assuming they will even part with it). Is there a better way to go about this? I didn't get too good a look at the car because I didn't want the neighbors to think I was snooping, but the roof and cloth looked good from a quick pass by. Not even sure of the year but the black bumper trim says to me >82 so probably 4100.

sven914
06-05-11, 08:25 PM
I would try knocking again, a few more times. If you still get no answer, I would go the neighbors and see if the car is abandoned or if they know anything about when the owner is around.

Angry Matt
06-05-11, 09:14 PM
My buddy said it's worth $630 in scrap. He'd pay them 4-500, I'll start at about 2 and see what they say. I just hope I don't get a door slammed in my face, guess I'll never know until I try. And the car is on the street, so I'm not even 100% on which house it is. I was just trying the one it's in front of.

sven914
06-05-11, 11:24 PM
$200 might be considered an insult. It might look like a wreck that hasn't been driven since the summer of '89, but it could be some inbreeder's only car; from experience, I know they don't take to0 kindly to normals accusing their stuff of being second hand trash. I would start at scrap value, and make it clear that there was an interest in restoring the car to former glory (it makes them feel special when someone shows interest in their useless crap).

cadillac kevin
06-06-11, 12:26 AM
I'd offer $500 if it runs and go from there. and like sven said- telling them you're gonna restore it could change their minds.

Angry Matt
06-13-11, 07:18 PM
I went back today on the way to the record store, wrote a note, peeked inside and took my note back. It looks like someone tried to rip the pillow off the seat. After some thought on the way home, I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I can fix upholstery, but this project looks a little more than it's worth. I'm afraid to buy a car just because of what it once was. It's a $200 car and that's what I'm getting ready to part out, I don't want another. I think I'll wait for a good one to fall in my lap again....

77CDV
06-13-11, 10:00 PM
A very wise decision.

CADforce69
06-14-11, 11:40 AM
A very wise decision.

I agree. As you surely know, an old car condition is in 85% of cases pretty worse than they seem to be. Itīs better waiting for a better chance that demands you less effort and money to restore.