: My Cadillac story

telemanagain
06-05-11, 06:56 PM
I'm posting pics of the first Cadillac I've ever owned. I owe this little beauty to my wife's perseverance. Months of looking on Craigslist for a sub $1000 secondary car and all she had found was junk. Until she came across this beauty for $600!!!. It's primary problem?. Security, won't start. Huge thanks to this community for convincing me to take a chance on it. I ended up ordering the bypass kit from newrockies after trying the resistor trick and failing. Now she runs like a dream. still needs a lot of TLC but as I told my wife. She has just enough wrong to keep me busy on Sunday without Pi$$ing me off. Again I have to say thanks for all the great posts on this site Every time I think I'm in over my head someone here had a solution. I'm looking forward to nursing "Abby" (My son named her) back to 100%

Lord Cadillac
06-06-11, 12:39 PM
$600, huh? Definitely keep us posted as you bring her back to life!

telemanagain
06-07-11, 01:47 AM
Changed the oil yesterday old oil looked pretty good. A little dark but no burned smell. I did have a little trouble finding the oil filter. (It's almost dead center on the front of the motor. It's wedged pretty tight between the engine and the front frame so a "normal" filter wrench won't work. Get a set of end cap oil filter wrenches before jacking it up and crawling under there. I found a set of 4 at Harbor freight for 6 bucks.
After crawling back under I noticed a gasket on the oil filler plug. Trip 2 to the parts store for a gasket. (First trip was to harbor freight)
Ok Oil drained, filter on, time to add the oil. 5 Quarts should be enough right? Nope, close to 7 and a half quarts. That was trip 3. I gotta research things a little better :D
Got things buttoned up and fired Abby up. She sounds great not a click or knock anywhere. ( I had noticed a clicking sound like valves when I started the car before the oil change but its not there now.)
A quick glance at the diagnostics. Wait a minute, it still says I need to change the oil. ( I don't know what gave me the idea that the computer would know I changed the oil. Seems a little silly now) Back to the internet and a quick search of the forums. Lots of stuff for newer caddys but nothing on mine.
Time for a google search. I found a site but I can't post links yet. Here's an excerpt for our 1993 Seville STS
Cadillac Eldorado, Seville, 1992-93

Press INFORMATION button on Driver Information Center until “OIL LIFE INDEX” is displayed. Press STORE/RECALL until “OIL LIFE INDEX” resets to 100.

Reset the Oil Life on the first try.
A quick trip around the block. Then I parked her over a white towel (Don't tell my wife) left it idling for 5 minutes and checked the towel. Not a single oil drop on the towel. Snuck the towel back into the bathroom, loaded my son into the caddy and went for Ice Cream. A perfect Sunday as far as I'm concerned.

MauriceW
06-08-11, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a great find! Looking forward to updates!

jordan00escalade
06-09-11, 05:07 PM
You could get $600 for the rims alone.. I GAVE mine away for $500 (you could eat off of them). sigh, that's what happen though.

RippyPartsDept
06-09-11, 05:22 PM
You could get $600 for the rims alone.. I GAVE mine away for $500 (you could eat off of them). sigh, that's what happen though.

yeah those wheels look nice... i'm thinking about putting a set of the non-chrome ones on my '99 (if i can find some cheap)

and fwiw... there's two versions 17"x7.5" and 17"x8"

17x8 are only $410 (list price) each while the 17x7.5 are $900 new (each!)

so yeah, you did give yours away

telemanagain
06-09-11, 06:42 PM
Went to the parts store today and a local paint shop owner offered to paint the car if I would trade the rims. I think I'll just hold on to them and get the car painted later. The rims keep people from looking at the terrible body work :cool:

telemanagain
06-18-11, 05:09 PM
Got the air conditioning system converted and recharged. R134 Is Definitely not R12. Its cold air now but not like I'm sure it was when it was on R12.
That created a new problem. Air was on the floor and and the defroster but would not come out of the vents. After reading quite a few posts on the subject I started tracking down Vacuum lines. and look what I found. see pic 1. It looks like the cruise control system was completely disconnected for some reason.
76749 I can't figure out where that vacuum line goes.

I didn't want to spend all day on this little problem so I came up with a Jury rigged solution for the moment. I found all the diaphragms that control the air gates under the dash the one directly above the steering wheel column (and, coincidentally, the most difficult to get to) controls the air to the dash vents.
76750. You can push the diaphragm in manually and get air through the vents. I also noticed that when you push the diaphragm in there is quite a bit of room inside the diaphragm housing. In fact. Just enough to put a standard socket in there to keep the diaphragm pushed in and the AC flowing through the vents. Its a poor man's fix but it got the job done. Eventually I will find out where that vacuum line goes and fix it properly. But for now, I have AC where I want it.