: Please Comment On Your SRX's Ride Quality

b4z
06-05-11, 12:51 PM
I've had 2 '10 SRX loaners. They seem somewhat stiff legged and wooden in the ride department. Obvioulsy they are fwd which often don't handle small impacts as well due to the extra weight upfront. Something that plagues Audis too.
how do you guys and gals feel about the ride quality and is there anytiing that you would change? Maybe the jounce in the shocks or spring rates etc.

I am a 3 time 1st gen SRX owner and a current '11 CTS owner. The 1st gen always had the ability to be thrown into a curve but had decent ride quality. The CTS is superior in ride and cornering.

Thanks in advance.

b4z
06-05-11, 01:18 PM
Wanted to add that both cars were base with no options. have not driven on with touring suspension and magnetorehological shocks.

Smokin' SRX
06-05-11, 04:38 PM
b4Z, that language is unnecessary! LOL

Seriously, I 'm on my soapbox now! I think most newer cars have the hardest damn seats I've ever felt. Saw the 2011 Audi Q-7 CUV recently and I think they stuff bricks in the seat cushions! SRX is better but pales compared to the nice stuffing my 2003 Yukon had. Or the Caddy DTS sedan has. Sad.

As to ride...... all the Base and most of the Luxury SRX have 18" tires. They ride 10-15% better than the 20" on my Performance.model. That's my opinion having driven both 20 & 18". My 20's have the self adjusting shocks. The 18" did not, to be fair. Assuming you drove one with proper air inflation
( don't say "yes"- you'd be shocked at what gets put in these days!) and didn't like it, don't get an SRX w/o thorough test drives of model you want.

I also test drove a 2011 AWD CTS ( I think it had 18" tires) and found it a bit better than an SRX with 18" tires. Definitely softer than 20" SRX by alot. Still I bought the 20's on my SRX and keep 2 lbs less air than called for. (unless going on high speed trip of 15 miles or longer/carrying 4 passengers instead of me and wife only.) Find this acceptable. Yes tires will wear 10% sooner. Don't care.

All above SRX/CTS handled outstanding for anything I would need and I do drive at 90MPH on occasion.

TEST drive long and often.......
Good luck.
SS

GMJim
06-05-11, 09:32 PM
I had a 2010 SRX for a year. I now drive a 2011 CTS wagon, and just love it. Nuff said.

b4z
06-05-11, 09:55 PM
Well, I should have gotten the CTS wagon. I was so intent on getting the CTS befoer the New Year that I didn't even stop to think about the wagons I had seen at Harry's on the Hill in Asheville, NC 2 months prior that had $8K discounts on them. I probably could have done the deal and had the car sent down to Charleston or driven the 3.5hrs to Asheville and picked it up.

Oh well.

The probelm with my CTS is that it is pretty tight inside and the SRX has a little more width. Also, with the front seat back we can't get the baby set in and I have to pull the front seat up to a position that I wouldn't be able to handle for a couple hour trip. Also the trunk will barely handle the stroller. Most of those dimensions would remain the same with the wagon.

algiorda
06-06-11, 11:54 PM
I had a 2010 SRX for a year. I now drive a 2011 CTS wagon, and just love it. Nuff said.

GMJim, wasn't it YOU who said once; "What do you expect from the SRX? It's an SUV, not a Sedan Deville?"

GMJim
06-07-11, 07:29 AM
That would be me. That's why I drive a wagon now.

Sedan Deville ride, and the cargo space of an SRX. Love it!!!!