: V-Coupe or V-Sedan

ralphinnj
06-05-11, 09:44 AM
I'm looking at buying one of these vehicles. I would be interested in any opinions regarding the two. I'm guessing the Coupe has a poor back seat/access. Anyone have or try both?

It is hard on the Caddy website to see the interior options. I'm interested in a black on black look. I see the Black Diamond option (is that for both Sedan and Coupe?), but not sure I like the yellow calipers. Would prefer black. Do the wheels on the Black Diamond have the same paint as the body (that would be hot)?

On the Ricardo seats, i guess that rules out the two-tone leather option? When i put the two tone leather in, and then select Ricardo seats, it reverts to just black.

And, the stupid question: is this car totally useless in the snow, or does the traction control work? My other cars have varying capability in the snow:

Chrysler 300 SRT8: really bad in snow, can't climb my driveway with 1/2" of snow!

Jeep SRT8: Can climb in a couple of inches of snow, but deeper, no good. Not a great snow vehicle even though it is AWD.

Mercedes E550 4matic: Great in snow up to about 6 inches.

Just to confirm, the V Coupe or Sedan would be no better than the 300, right?

Thanks for your inputs.

ChicagoV
06-05-11, 09:56 AM
I'm looking at buying one of these vehicles. I would be interested in any opinions regarding the two. I'm guessing the Coupe has a poor back seat/access. Anyone have or try both?

It is hard on the Caddy website to see the interior options. I'm interested in a black on black look. I see the Black Diamond option (is that for both Sedan and Coupe?), but not sure I like the yellow calipers. Would prefer black. Do the wheels on the Black Diamond have the same paint as the body (that would be hot)?

On the Ricardo seats, i guess that rules out the two-tone leather option? When i put the two tone leather in, and then select Ricardo seats, it reverts to just black.

And, the stupid question: is this car totally useless in the snow, or does the traction control work? My other cars have varying capability in the snow:

Chrysler 300 SRT8: really bad in snow, can't climb my driveway with 1/2" of snow!

Jeep SRT8: Can climb in a couple of inches of snow, but deeper, no good. Not a great snow vehicle even though it is AWD.

Thanks for your inputs.

I. coupe/sedan is personal preference and planned usage. I think most would say that coupe is slightly quicker. If you have to get things in and out of the back seat a lot, coupe probably not for you.

2. To get black on black, there is no need to go black diamond- just get black raven. The calipers are normally silver on the sedan.

3. The wheels on the black diamond do not have the same paint as the body of the car.

4. You misspelled "Recaro" and that is a no-no in these parts.

5. With OEM tires, the CTS-V will perform just like your 300 SRT8. It does not go in the snow- but neither does any other car with similar tires. Either put it away for the winter or get new wheels and tires for winter (or, at least tires).

ralphinnj
06-05-11, 11:14 AM
Thanks Chicago...very helpful. Especially the typo! Sorry about that. Recaro.....got it.

On the Coupe, I really like the center dual exhaust (like my Jeep). Overall, the Coupe looks better. This will be my daily driver for work, so it's just me in the car most of the time. Still have the other cars if I need 4 doors.

Is there a way to get good pictures of the wheel options? Online, half of them don't even load. Can't see either of the $800 upgrade options.

Thanks.

ajjones44
06-05-11, 11:36 AM

Thanks for your inputs.

Get either the sedan or wagon...much better lines than the coupe. My first choice would have been the wagon if it was out but I was impatient and couldn't wait.

Doesn't make sense that the SRT was horrible in the snow. Are you using REAL snow tires? This last winter was my first in Germany and I ran a set of Pirelli Sottozero's and I didnt have any problems. I have a manual and I ran in a higher gear that I usually would. Hope this helps...good luck

marktanner
06-05-11, 11:41 AM
The Black Diamond is available with the Saffron interior, which is two-toned. This is even with the Recaro seats. The yellow calipers work well with this combo, too.

concorso
06-05-11, 11:45 AM
You misspelled "Recaro" and that is a no-no in these parts.
He did spell the name of the seat company wrong, but he did type a real company. Ricardo makes the transmissions for the Veyron, among others.

Torxila
06-05-11, 11:57 AM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/T3/Aftertintclosefrtwheel.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/T3/Aftertintfrtwheel.jpg

Satin Graphite Wheels

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/P1010062.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/P1010061.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/P1010039.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/P1010060.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/P1010040.jpg

2 tone with Recaro's on coupe

George

ChicagoV
06-05-11, 12:00 PM
The best place to see pics of the different wheel options might be on this site- check the sticky thread about pics of delivered V2's.

Torxila
06-05-11, 12:20 PM
As many who drive all 12months, with 4 PROPER snow tires these cars are pretty good for traction.

It sounds like you're leaning towards the coupe, especially when you have other people movers in your garage.

Regards,
George

ralphinnj
06-05-11, 01:06 PM
Torxila, thanks for the pics. Which wheels are they? The Recaro's look good two-tone.

Has anyone pu 20's on the V? I know it is only an inch, but in my garage, the E550 (19's) looks much less aggressive than the 20's on the SRT8 300. I bet 20's would look great on a V.

I will look into the tire options. Maybe set up a separate winter set. In the end, you can't clount on a car like this in anything over an inch or two. Hills (like my driveway) are very tough due to poor rear weight load over the drive tires. I've gotten to the house in the 300, only to have my wife laugh at me because I have to shovel 1" of snow after getting stuck. It's about 350 feet long with a 40 foot rise.

muohio
06-05-11, 01:23 PM
I was dead set on a coupe until I took one for a test drive and spent some time with it. The back seats are too claustrophobic and the rear head room is significantly reduced. The visibility is pretty bad as well. I also didn't like the trunk access and don't understand why they went back to the j-shaped hinges.

MotownPimp
06-05-11, 04:32 PM
I'm a CTS Coupe (3.6 L engine) owner. I'm chiming in here because of the backseat question. It is, imo, useless....which I knew when I bought it. I purchased the Coupe after seeing a picture, found decent reviews in CR, and a test drive. My purpose for the Coupe is a fun touring car for me & my girl.

For people moving, we use our SUV.

By the way, trunk plus backseat area provides plentry of room for packing stuff for vacations. You can even fold down the seat backs of back seats.

I have no idea of handling characteristics of Coupe Vs. sedan...which could be a consideration. Coupe handles just fine, though. Have thrown it around in twisties several times; not quite up to my 350Z but close.

You need to go look & drive Coupe/sedan before buying.

If I have another good year biz wise, I may upgrade to the Coupe V next year...which is why I'm checking the V site. Though, at 70 next year, I'm not sure what the hell I'll do with 550 HP! :hmm: :confused: :thumbsup:

aj660
06-05-11, 06:34 PM
I'm a CTS Coupe (3.6 L engine) owner. I'm chiming in here because of the backseat question. It is, imo, useless....which I knew when I bought it. I purchased the Coupe after seeing a picture, found decent reviews in CR, and a test drive. My purpose for the Coupe is a fun touring car for me & my girl.

For people moving, we use our SUV.

By the way, trunk plus backseat area provides plentry of room for packing stuff for vacations. You can even fold down the seat backs of back seats.

I have no idea of handling characteristics of Coupe Vs. sedan...which could be a consideration. Coupe handles just fine, though. :thumbsup:

Pretty much agree 100% ; however, I don't think the back seat is totally useless but it's tight for 2 normal size adults. If my v-cope was my only car, then I might have purchased the sedan.

The handling is pretty good for a 4200lb car but it's heavy and there is no hiding it in the turns. I wish they made the car a few hundred pounds lighter but I still love my Coupe.

Torxila
06-05-11, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=ralphinnj;2615567]Torxila, thanks for the pics. Which wheels are they? The Recaro's look good two-tone.

Ralphinnj,

The wheels are option code "RB9" factory Satin Graphite with the Yellow Brembos. They were not available on the Evolution Green car but some VERY special people here helped me out for a "One of One" build.
Thanks
George

ralphinnj
06-05-11, 07:06 PM
Thanks George. I'll give it a go!

aj660
06-05-11, 07:50 PM
Get either the sedan or wagon...much better lines than the coupe.

Lol is this fact or just your opinion?
I personally feel the coupe has much better lines than the sedan and wagon..

Kluch
06-06-11, 12:26 AM
I have 2 car seats in the back of my coupe. Upgraded from an 08 CTS sedan. Kids love climbing in and out of the coupe and prefer it to mom's tahoe! I love the look of the coupe and would not compromise my preference for convenience again. Coupe>sedan in my opinion and I have owned both.

GAGS-V2
06-06-11, 02:34 AM
Lol is this fact or just your opinion?
I personally feel the coupe has much better lines than the sedan and wagon..

What he said! The coupe looks so MUCH better than either the other two. IF it's only you and someone else in the front most of the time, and only sometimes use the back the coupe is the way to go. The backup camera and backup sensors do help a lot when backing up, and there should be no reason anyone is passing you on the freeway so sight out the front glass is great!

Teutonaddict
06-06-11, 08:37 AM
The wheels are option code "RB9" factory Satin Graphite with the Yellow Brembos. They were not available on the Evolution Green car but some VERY special people here helped me out for a "One of One" build.

What a beautiful and unique color combo, George. Well done! And here's to those VERY special people that frequent this board and provide all sorts of valuable help to this community. Thanks to you all as well!

Torxila
06-06-11, 09:03 AM
Thanks Teutonaddict, I do get major props every time I drive or park somewhere. My last Twin Turbo '07
C6 'vert was a 1 of 1 combo as well and I got similar reactions on that as well.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/t2/P1010061.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/t2/P1010046.jpg
(Chevy charges extra for a D30 overide, Caddy guys did it "Gratis") I just like having something a little different sometimes.

Regards
George

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 01:31 PM
Sedan > Wagon > Coupe

But, to me, that's like saying 10 > 9.5 > 9.3

As for any iteration being quicker than another, in your dreams. Coupe owners will like to think they're quicker. Not happening...

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 01:32 PM
Also, if you don't want yellow calipers, I'm sure you'd have a line of people willing to swap straight up. Or, maybe you could make up enough $$ to cover labor to swap...

David Nicholas
06-06-11, 07:49 PM
I suggest you spend some time with the coup if you are leaning that way. I have owned nothing but coups for 30 years. I really liked the looks, didn't care at all about the back seat, and I think the performance is identical for all prcatical purposes. I bought the sedan because I felt the coup doors were simply huge and sagging even in the showroom, and, (and I know it's highly subjective), the sedan body just felt stiffer.

mrl859
06-08-11, 03:16 AM
Just sat in and checked out my first CTS sedan today. Very small for a four door. IMO, Coupe FTW!

mother
06-08-11, 08:06 AM
From the last weeks thread on this subject:

Yeah, honestly either you LOVE the coupe's looks or you're not a fan. Coupes have a bunch of downsides when compared to the sedan, and it's no smaller/lighter/faster- all you are doing is making the car less practical. Not that any of us buy these cars for practicality...

So I think the coupe/sedan decision is usually pretty easy for people. Either you love the coupes looks and there is no question, or you buy a sedan!

DoingOK
06-08-11, 10:49 AM
I've previously owned a 2006 C6Z06 vette so the change over to the V coupe was not as drastic as I thought it would be. Visibility doesn't bother me since it is about the same as my vette was. We have a 2010 Acura MDX to haul kids around but my 12 and 14 year old kids fit fine in the back of the coupe if needed. To me, my opinion only, the coupe has a very striking appearance that people either love or hate. I wanted something different and wanted something sportier looking. At the Cars & Coffee events my son and I attend, we get much more attention/questions than I ever expected we would. So far, I'm more than happy with my decision.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/G35Coupe/Car%20stuff/DSC05416.jpg