: 84 FW Coil Spring Swap into 93-96 FW's

SDCaddyLacky
06-05-11, 08:14 AM
Can you use coil springs from a 84 Fleetwood Brougham in the 93-96 FWB's?

The spring rate in the 84 is rated at 364, while the 93-96 is rated at 389.

I want that plush soft cushy Cadillac ride, and I know for sure grabbing a pair

of those 84 springs will make a big difference.

Thanks guys

Stingroo
06-05-11, 08:32 AM
You want softer than the '94? Goodness, just replace them with pillows. :lol:

csbuckn
06-05-11, 10:38 AM
I bet the back would sit lower.

SDCaddyLacky
06-05-11, 06:32 PM
You want softer than the '94? Goodness, just replace them with pillows. :lol:

Lol, if it were possible, believe me I would do it!! Even better, some memory foam pillows haha.

I think it will sit about an inch lower than stock, but i want to make sure it wont cause tire scraping.

jayoldschool
06-05-11, 08:45 PM
There are different levels of firmness for 93-96 springs. Look at your SPID sticker on the bottom of your trunk lid. If you have "FE1", you have the softest springs. If you have FE2 or 3, you could just swap in FE1 93-96 springs.

Aron9000
06-06-11, 05:16 AM
My 95 with the FE1 suspension and 52k miles on it rides like a dream. A little float, but nothing excessive. Honestly I've driven a 77 Town Car, now that was just flat out not enjoyable with the amount of steering slop, body roll, and just flat out too damn floaty. You hit an expansion joint at 70mph and the car bobs up and down at least 4 or 5 times.

SDCaddyLacky
06-06-11, 06:13 AM
Ah man, that is my other dream car, a 77-78 Town Car or Mark V. I can't imagine those Lincolns riding like that nowdays with most replacement shocks and springs being much firmer than anything made back in the 70's. BTW how would you compare the ride and quietness from the the 77 Town Car to your 95 FW? Which one was better?

I have the FE1 suspension, but from looking into old receipts from the original owner, it looks like he had a trailer hitch connected at one point in time. He must of towed a boat or something heavy, because the rear spring are actually pretty stiff when you press down on the bumper, including the fronts.

He could of installed stiffer springs, the thing is, the ride height is fine, the springs aren't saggy at all.

The guy drove all day long! After looking at an old dealer service receipt, the odo in 1999 was around 120,000 miles. So I am thinking he might of had the springs changed out with firmer ones so they wouldn't wear out so fast from all his road trips towing whatever. I don't have any proof of it, so I am just assuming.

Are all 93-96 Fleetwoods FE1 front and rear springs stiff when you press down on the bumper? Or is it soft and easy? I want to know because then I can pinpoint if my springs are heavy duties, therefore it gives me a reason to replace them with the stock FE1 springs. If not, then I will probably get the 84's for an extreme buttery ride. I don't want to feel a damn thing in my Caddy Lac.:cloud9:

Aron9000
06-06-11, 07:59 AM
Ride and quietness, no comparison to my 1995. Granted my 95 is firmer, but on a rough road it actually has a more controlled ride, it just feels more flat, not like a ship on rough waters bobbing up and down like that old Town Car. Granted that Town Car had 90k miles on it, suspension and everything on that car was original, so the shocks/ball joints/tie rod ends might have been a little worse for wear. It was a very pretty, all original, well maintaned car, so I'm not sure what all had been replaced regarding the suspension, I just remember the whole thing being a sloppy mess.

SDCaddyLacky
06-06-11, 10:44 PM
That's good to know. Our Caddys do have a controlled ride, and it's easy to handle. I cater that to the good size sway bars. Remove them, and watch the car jiggle and wiggle all over the place.

I know some Town Car guys that will remove the rear sway bars for a smoother ride. Not sure if that would be wise on a Fleetwood though:bighead: