: Question for those of you with mods...

jwall09
06-05-11, 12:56 AM
I just picked up a 2009 that had work done by D3 and the car lived in Cali. It has D3 CAI, D3 spark plugs, D3 Tune, D3 lowering springs, Headers, Cats, Xpipe, Corsa.

I have a few observations in order of concern:

When parked, stopped, coasting and cruising at non highway speeds the car seems to "stutter" a bit. (almost jerks forward ever so slightly)
Car squeeks, the springs im guessing... for those with D3 springs is this normal and is there a fix?
The car pulls to the right just a little, and the previous owner said he just had it aligned. Springs cause this? normal? Tires are fine, no accidents.

Any advice to diagnose is appreciated. For the stutter, i did clean the K&N filter and took it for a quick drive around the block, it seems a little better, but you know how mind tricks are with our cars... I notice the D3 CAI is way down in that little area and the filter doesn't have a lot of room on 1/3 of it... thought about adjusting it and or taking out one section to have the filter in the same area the stock box was in but dont want to mess with it if you all dont think it is an intake issue.

I live in Texas, is it possible the air difference? I dont recall noticing #1 until NM/Texas, but again, i was on cloud 9 most the drive so i could easily have missed it, that and i was rarely going non highway speeds... it was the smaller towns in Texas i drove through that i really noticed it.

baabootoo
06-05-11, 12:59 AM
I guess I'd call the manufactuer instead of the non-manufacturers........

neuronbob
06-05-11, 09:21 AM
1. It sounds like you're describing one of two things. If the car is vibrating/shaking a bit when stopped, that is normal as our engine has a little lope to it. If you are describing a mild surge forward when stopped, I notice this as well, usually after first start of the day. I make sure my 5-year-old is in the car or not in the garage when I am ready to move the car as a result.

2. Many threads on squeaking D3 springs. They do have a solution.

3. I'd get the car realigned. Just using Occam's Razor here.....simplest solution is probably the correct one.

jwall09
06-05-11, 11:27 PM
baabootoo - Very helpful response, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I don't know what I would have done if you wouldn't have made this post....

On the other hand, Neuronbob, your probably right.. You know how we are with our cars, want them to be perfect..

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 01:08 PM
I think the D3 spark plugs are too aggressive. They give too much power!!!

wait4me
06-06-11, 01:16 PM
Clean the mass air meter and just get it re alligned. Tell the place doing the allignment to make sure they use the specs for a V not the standard one. Then it should fix those issues.

The squeeky springs should just need to be a rubber pad under the top and bottom or maybe some grease?

cbloveday
06-06-11, 01:55 PM
I think the D3 spark plugs are too aggressive. They give too much power!!!

With too much power comes too great responsibility. :)