: Cleaned the MAF and got great results

Dale Pittman
06-04-11, 10:01 PM
I suspected the car was running rich from the carbon buildup inside the exhaust tips. I would clean them out and within a day or so it was black again. Did this for a few weeks and i also noticed it did not have the power it did back a few months ago.

A few months ago Jesse mentioned to try cleaning the MAF with the special spray made for this job. After i cleaned it today it really woke it back up and has the power back. Going to watch the carbon buildup rate on the exhaust tips, but thinking it will be much less.

Do yourself a favor and get a can of MAF spray cleaner and do the 5 min job of removing and cleaning the MAF. You might be suprised on how much it has an effect on how your car runs.

Good luck,

JOEYCTS-V
06-04-11, 10:13 PM
Will our local auto parts store have this or should we order it online? I noticed my exhaust tips get pretty black after a day of driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dale Pittman
06-04-11, 10:27 PM
Yes, i picked it up at the local Advanced Auto Parts store. You just remove the MAF and spray the cleaner on the two very small heated elements from a few angles. Any residual will evaporate in seconds. Then just re install and your done. Pay attention on the air flow direction so it goes back in correctly.

cbloveday
06-04-11, 11:13 PM
I use this brand:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/mafcleaner.jpg

mrl859
06-05-11, 12:49 AM
How frequently should this be done?

baabootoo
06-05-11, 01:04 AM
My guess is that it would depend upon how oily/fast it gets. Now that I saw this, I'll redo mine again this season.

mrl859
06-05-11, 01:14 AM
How would you know?

Dale Pittman
06-05-11, 10:02 AM
Curtis - that is the same brand of cleaner I found as well.

mrl859 - The 2 heated elements in the MAF that get cleaned are very small. Approx 3/16" long and 1/16" in diameter and you can not really see the contaminants on them, so there is really no visual way to see if its dirty. However for a $5 can of MAF cleaner and 5 minutes of your time it was the easiest thing I did to fix a problem on any car I have ever owned. I would just make a practice to clean it fairly often, maybe a frequency of at every oil change. One can of cleaner likely will last for years.

CTSV4now
06-05-11, 11:56 AM
What causes the MAF to get dirty?

daowens
12-30-11, 04:57 PM
Cleaned my MAF last night. Feels like the car is running better but I dunno. I'll continue to think it's running better just for peace of mind.

Trapspeed
12-30-11, 09:03 PM
Guys, this usually something that gets good results but just be careful with the level of force you spray with. One broken element and you're done.

Fireverm
12-30-11, 09:34 PM
Well if anyone breaks their's, PM me I have one with only 700 miles on it that I'd sell.

Club Malibu
12-31-11, 01:47 PM
To Dale Pittman =

Are you using a non-stock air filter (i.e. K&N) ??????? Or factory???

smackdownCTSV
12-31-11, 02:09 PM
Just be sure to use the correct spray, as pictured above. And don't touch the sensor!

Gary Wells
12-31-11, 05:07 PM
This issue / problem is a very strong probability if you are running an aftermarket oil medium air filter, and a stronger probability if you clean and re-oil yourself. If you go to a dealer with any problem that can be written off as a MAF problem, most dealers will claim that the oil from the aftermarket air filter got oil on the sensors. Consequently, they will not cover the MAF under warranty.

mrmojo95
03-30-12, 10:34 AM
I have seen K&N's response to this issue. The video they produced regarding this topic is very interesting.

http://www.knfilters.com/maf/massair.htm

baabootoo
04-03-12, 12:35 AM
Wow, VERY detailed discussion! Especially where they TRIED to foul a MAF sensor!

Kluch
04-03-12, 11:39 PM
Guys, can someone post a pic of the MAF sensor location on our cars and how to remove? I had the dealer clean it last visit and they charged me $40. It really did make a difference though and I would love to do it myself if its as easy as people say. Sadly, I'm no mechanic and don't want to F it up.

baabootoo
04-04-12, 05:11 PM
Guys, can someone post a pic of the MAF sensor location on our cars and how to remove? I had the dealer clean it last visit and they charged me $40. It really did make a difference though and I would love to do it myself if its as easy as people say. Sadly, I'm no mechanic and don't want to F it up.

Then don't even mess with it! I think they're over $100 to replace, you'll pay, AND you're w/o a car then too. If you watch the K&N videos, you'll see that some may be over reacting to this worry also.

zinner
04-05-12, 12:59 AM
Yep K&N is right. Any MAF issues are usually related to placement in the intake kits. There is a reason the OEM put all those goofy baffles and designs into the intakes. They actually DO something to air flow.