Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to disable intermitment wiper(Rainsense)

7K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  carter's_sts 
#1 ·
After replace a windshield, my Cadillac STS 2008 Intermitment mode become active together with Rainsense system. Dealer try to replace rainsense module, control, windshiled mounting bracket, they still can not turn of the intermitement mode as it suppose to be off. Rainsense using the intermitment adjust for it sensitivity adjustment and disable the intermitment mode. GM field engineer thinking the windshield itself since it is after market, so he plans to replace the windshield with GM windshield.
I think it may be a simple control setup or something to disable the intermitment mode when rainsense is present.
Thanks and hope anyone know or experience the same problem.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to describe, but I'll explain how the system works and hopefully it will help.

The windshield wiper module/motor assembly is connected to both the wiper/washer control on the steering column and the RainSense module attached to the windshield. The module on the windshield detects how much moisture is on the glass using infrared light. Light is transmitted from a sender assembly (similar to a TV remote control) and bounces off the outside surface of the glass which then returns to a receiver within the same module. The module measures the amount of light returned. When water hits the glass, it causes this infrared light to refract from its normal path and less light returns to the receiver. The RainSense module can use the amount of light returned to know how wet the windshield is and then adjust the speed of the wipers.

There is constant communication between the RainSense module and the wiper module/motor assembly over two wires. One wire is constantly sending information to the wiper module/motor while the second wire receives information back. As long as there is constant communication back and forth, the wiper module/motor assembly uses the setting you select on the wiper control arm as a sensitivity control to adjust how sensitive the RainSense module is to water on the glass. If there is ever a disruption in communication between the RainSense module on the glass and the wiper module/motor assembly, the adjuster on the wiper control lever reverts to a "delay" control and the your wipers are now adjusted based on a time interval, not a measurement of moisture on the glass.

In addition to the two wires for data communication between the RainSense module and the wiper module/motor assembly, there are two others. One will be voltage supply to power the RainSense module and the other will be a ground. I'm assuming that someone checked the connector at the RainSense module on the glass to ensure no wiring was damaged. If I understand what you're describing, it could be the glass. These windshields are double laminated so if the manufacturer used lower grade materials or the bond wasn't correct between the layers, it could cause the system to operate incorrectly. I would agree with their approach to change the module and glass mount first. I'm not so sure that the wiper/washer control lever was necessary because of the way it integrates into the system. There are ways it could have been tested for correct operation using both a Tech2 and a multimeter without the cost of replacement. I'm also wondering if the wiper module/motor assembly has been thoroughly checked. It seems odd though that this all happened when the windshield was replaced. This makes me suspect it revolves more around the RainSense module. Did someone check the fuse supplying power to the RainSense module?

None of the modules in this system are field programmable and therefore the system either works as intended, or doesn't. There are no adjustments or setting changes that can be made.

#6 ·
I have had it at the dealer for trouble with the useless thing. The wipers would be parked for a long while, even at the most sensitive setting, while the windshield filled with water spots the it might wipe once or twicw then a long delay, or it might wipe steadily 6 or 7 times then wait, even if there was almost no water on the windshield. Dealer said it was fine. I just disconnected the wires, it now works more consistantly. Anyway to disable the headlights from turning on when the wipers are on. I would prefer the bulbs to last longer since you have to take half of this POS apart to change the bulbs.

#8 ·
The rationale is that when the wipers are on for more than six seconds, there is possibly a "low visibility" condition. The vehicle will automatically turn off the Daytime Running Lights and activate the low beam headlamps. I can't tell you whether it can be disabled because I don't see your model year in your profile info. If it can, it won't be by traditional methods (dealer visit for reprogramming, etc).

Even after unplugging the RainSense module, if a problem remains there may be fault with the wiper control switch or the wiper module/motor assembly. On delay, it should work very consistently.

#10 ·
Unfortunately they DO NOT build a car that I like anymore. 1992 was the last year for the RWD Fleetwood brougham. Those cars had bumbers that could touch things and not cause the fenders to fold like cheap umbrellas, plus they had a ride that was Novocaine numb and didn't loosen teeth. The 93 thru 96 Broughams just don't look as nice, especially the interiors. I do have two buick roadmasters but they're not Caddies, but they ride much better than the STS

#9 ·
It's a 2008. When I had said" I just disconnect the wires" I meant I just did it a few minutes earlier, I will have to wait till it drizzles to see if it works like normal intermitent wipers do. The DRL do not normaly switch off till after dusk, my company car on the other hand, will switch when the car enters a shadow of a cloud, makes it hard to read the radio during the day.
BTW thanks for the info about disconnecting the sensor

#11 ·
The other way you can test this is to take a glass of water out and drip some over the location of the sensor, however if you have unplugged the sensor, there is no means for it to function as you have disconnected power to the circuit and interrupted the two data lines.

This car will have a delay so if you are passing under a bridge (or similar situation) the car won't keep switching back and forth between DRL's and low beams. The windshield wiper circuit connects to a separate input on the Instrument Panel Control module. This circuit holds priority over the ambient light sensor since low visibility situations can occur at times where there is not sufficient light to turn off DRL's and activate the headlamps. If I'm not mistaken, during daylight hours, the wiper activated low beams should not affect the level of backlighting for other instruments. I'm fairly certain this is factored into the design.

#17 ·
Yes. From what I understand, anything manufactured or imported since 1990. These sorts of regulations are federal requirements, not provincial. There are some regulations imposed at a provincial level, but not relating to DRL's. Every vehicle must meet Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) much like the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) in the US. There are some exclusions depending on the vehicle.

#22 ·
Yes in Minnesota and several other states it's a law to have all lights on when it is precipitating or foggy. It's an awesome idea that they make them come on automatically. DRLs on the other hand irritate me to no end but that's one of your canadian laws.

Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1

#24 ·
It is definitely the aftermarket windshield. The service manual specifically states that when replacing the windshield, the GM factory windshield must be used. I personally experienced this problem with my car as well. About a year after I got it, something hit my windshield and the A pillar & I had to have the windshield replaced. I specifically told the body shop several times that they had to use the factory windshield & I even told the insurance company the same thing. They all said don't worry, we will. Well guess what? They didn't & ended up using an aftermarked windshield. The first thing I noticed was that I thought I was losing my sight. My car has the HUD & it was blurry as heck! I had never even thought about that feature when I had to replace the windshield, I was just worried about Rainsense! The next thing I noticed was there was a lot more wind noise than before. Then I turned on the Rainsense wipers & since there was no rain, the wipers should have not kept wiping but they did keep wiping intermittently. I was beyond pissed. I immediately called the insurance company & told them what was going on & they agreed to replace the windshield with the GM factory one. I immediately marched myself to the GM parts department (I know all the guys really well from years of ordering parts!) & ordered the windshield myself. There is even a specific windsheld for a car with the HUD & for one without. Lo and behold, when they put it on my car, the HUD was clear again, there was no more wind noise, & Rainsense worked properly again!

I am not exactly sure what the difference is between the factory windshield & the aftermarket one, but the aftermarket one is definietly inferior. Make sure you get yours replaced immediately!!! That should solve all of your problems! I have never had a problem with Rainsense since. I have had 3 Caddy's with Rainsense & it has always worked perfectly in each one!

Max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.