: cts-v self tune

BMBSALES
06-03-11, 03:43 PM
for those who do their own...thought i would share for opinions or anything overlooked. i know giving up tunes is a taboo, but i enjoy the process and don't care about the rest. this vehicle is stock for now. i use hp-tuners.

cts-v was really a diff animal than my sts-v. after talking to a bunch of people, i settled on 11.75:1 wot. guess it got down to 11:1 stock, which was not as rich as sts-v got (10.5). i tried adding timing at 1.12-1.20g/cyl but it didn't want much. what it did take, unlike my sts, was .32 up. that made the biggest diff in my car. huge. checked maf, and i can honestly say, (w/o cai yet) that this one was the closest one i ever had, to being spot on. it was done in mid 90* and was pulling 3% OUT across the board. i took out a bit across, but i usually find that trimming some out in this type of heat is ok. in 50* the same setup will be adding 3% probably.
the rest is just my normal stuff. besides trans calibration and upshift TM off, i usually adjust iat gains/losses (it was pretty agressive stock though), disable ve, raise fuel cutoffs a bit, turn off ltft's, tweek ivt, air, inj gains for open loop accel, disable cot, subtract some transient delay (prob does nothing), zero afr spark correction, set LO table with very little room (4 or less), increase retard decays and learn ups, add very little dwell, and add some time in cruise cells, and mess with o2 crossover voltages (i still believe in this one)...the last two for MPG, as i commute 1.5hrs each way.

DONE. have no idea what real world figures would be at engine or wheels, but with all things being equal...temps, heat soak, etc, it looks to be worth 30hp through use of vcm scanner, with the theory that after-before=gain. nothing more. i don't use wide band and don't care to. could it be closer wot, yes. is it going lean? no. not with solid 900 O2's. it's probably rich to be honest, but will lean out in the winter.

probably do maf again after CAI.

PhxTriode
06-03-11, 06:30 PM
You will find 'safe' tunes from a tuner with these cars is 11.6:1. I run 11.2 upto 4400 then 11.0 out the back but I am sprying meth. You are absolutely right about putting some timing into the lower g/cyl wakes the car up on tip in. I choose to leave LTFT on because of the widley varying DA here (after tuning open loop w/ wideband for cruise and PE). Obvisouly if you changed timing in your octane tables you need to pay attention to the IAT spark adder as well as PE adn ECT. I have never played with the o2 offsets so can't comment. Tranny stuff to a point is subjective to wants/driving style. Transients I only would play with if changing injectors IMHO

If you go with a CAI, tuning without a wideband is playing with fire in PE... IMHO

BMBSALES
06-03-11, 08:15 PM
Obvisouly if you changed timing in your octane tables you need to pay attention to the IAT spark adder as well as PE adn ECT.IMHO

yeah...maybe that actually should have been a little more obvious to me...lol. so far no problem, but it really wouldn't be until a cool day. thanks for your input. looks like you've been through yours quite a bit. bet it was fun adding...

PhxTriode
06-04-11, 10:00 AM
yeah...maybe that actually should have been a little more obvious to me...lol. so far no problem, but it really wouldn't be until a cool day. thanks for your input. looks like you've been through yours quite a bit. bet it was fun adding...

I have had my issues with it... But now it's a blast to drive and when adding something new it's pretty easy to dial in. You have my curiosity peaked with the o2's offset. May play a bit.

As soon as our 2.85" upper is done that will be next.

BMBSALES
06-04-11, 02:51 PM
I have had my issues with it... But now it's a blast to drive and when adding something new it's pretty easy to dial in. You have my curiosity peaked with the o2's offset. May play a bit.

As soon as our 2.85" upper is done that will be next.

for me, it worked on sts, even though great tuners said it wouldn't. pretty sure you can't trust the car calculations after modding it, but you can see it with airflow at identical (if that's possible) flat cruise speeds. i have before and afters that i haven't looked at yet.

what gave you biggest problems as far as the mods go? you have ls9 cam too?

PhxTriode
06-04-11, 04:48 PM
poor selection of tuners before i taught myself.

our own grind coming soon to my car.

shade
06-04-11, 05:58 PM
poor selection of tuners before i taught myself.

Second that! Hi Im only going to put 5* of timing in your car. Punks

DrumStix
06-04-11, 07:55 PM
That option has been available for a couple years now.

BMBSALES
06-08-11, 12:09 AM
That option has been available for a couple years now.

you're in NC?

PhxTriode
06-08-11, 10:55 AM
you're in NC?

He sure is.

BMBSALES
06-11-11, 02:53 PM
He sure is.

i'm in wilmington. bought my c-6 and cts-v at cary automall