: Bad oil and debris residue on rear MAG Shocks and dealer wont even consider warranty

MrMaschine
06-03-11, 01:05 AM
I had new tires installed a few days ago and the shop told me my rear shocks appear to be broken or leaking, there is a slimy oil on the shock bodies and even on the lower control arm, The fronts appear to be fine and i ant understand why the rears would blow up and not the fronts.

I have the D3 Sport springs for around 5,000 miles and the local dealer wont even consider a warranty for the shocks now. I might remove the springs because I hate the way the car feels to be honest.

Dealer told me the shocks are like $500 each for the rear alone.

so pissed now and I honestly dont know what to do.

has anyone had their rear shocks leak and if so what was the cause? How was warranty repair handled?

hulksdaddy
06-03-11, 01:07 AM
You changed the suspension and voided the warranty. Buy the shocks, chalk it up to lesson learned.

MrMaschine
06-03-11, 01:11 AM
i dont think its worth me buying shocks and labor, im considering the KWv3

MrMaschine
06-03-11, 01:13 AM
Has anyone had shocks leak with OEM springs or D3? think I did read a thread in Google about someones rear shocks

baabootoo
06-03-11, 01:21 AM
I posted this months ago. However, mine were replaced a few weeks ago w/o a second glance. I have lowered rear springs, but the stock ride height rods also. Now it's back for a leaky roof though! :(

MrMaschine
06-03-11, 01:24 AM
wonder if the springs caused this, why did you use the stock rods and not the shorter D3 ones they sent out?

Razorecko
06-03-11, 01:34 AM
500$ per shock ? I dont think so.....

Florian
06-03-11, 01:36 AM
gotta pay to play.

F

baabootoo
06-03-11, 01:40 AM
I left the stockers on and saw no reason to change them. Mine also leaked PRIOR to the springs also (I had my witnesses all lined up just in case). There was even an older post than mine about one leaking rear shock.

EVIL_C5
06-03-11, 08:28 AM
they are supposed to prove that the modified part caused the problem before they deny the claim.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

Domsz06
06-03-11, 09:03 AM
they are supposed to prove that the modified part caused the problem before they deny the claim.

supposed to yeah, but they don't have to and most won't push it.... ;) just saying ;)

EVIL_C5
06-03-11, 09:28 AM
supposed to yeah, but they don't have to and most won't push it.... ;) just saying ;)

usually when something like this happens, I take all of my built up anger and frustration from dealing with idiots at work and re-direct....lol

when I bought my C5, the dealer scratched all 4 of my wheels in the delivery prep and was dark when i picked it up. by the time I got back down there, they said I had done it....in 2 days....right...

they pretty much said they were not doing anything about it....needless to say after several phone calls and a visit by the regional sales manager where I showed him a stack of GM window stickers from cars I had bought in the last few years, the tune changed mighty quickly.

if someone says no, ask to speak to their boss, then rinse and repeat until desired answer is given.

miamictsv
06-03-11, 10:12 AM
Has anyone had shocks leak with OEM springs or D3? think I did read a thread in Google about someones rear shocks

I had my front shocks replaced under warranty with stock suspension as one of them was leaking. The service rep told me that even when they leak they are not obligated to change them because he said that they still work fine. That was a first for me to hear that a leaking shock was still performing as required. You can find the shocks online for $300 each.

kirbyCTSV
06-03-11, 10:44 AM
try a diff dealer...some are pretty cool with after market mods others arent.

musclesbmf
06-03-11, 10:54 AM
i dont think its worth me buying shocks and labor, im considering the KWv3

I agree. Our shocks our horrible. Its not new technology... they've used this tech back on the c5's. I'm thinking of going with the KW's as well. Not sure I'm ready to spend the 2K for the kit though. But I know it would make no noise, and handle 10 times better than the stock suspension.

thebigjimsho
06-03-11, 11:04 AM
Call Luke at Lindsay. I think they'll be cheaper than $500 per...

concorso
06-03-11, 01:31 PM
I agree. Our shocks our horrible. Its not new technology... they've used this tech back on the c5's. I'm thinking of going with the KW's as well. Not sure I'm ready to spend the 2K for the kit though. But I know it would make no noise, and handle 10 times better than the stock suspension.It was used on a fwd Cadillac before the C5 wasnt it? :) That suspension setup is fantastic. It offers comfort and performance in a way no other suspension setup can. That seems to be a perfect fit for a Cadillac sports car... Ferrari released a stiffer lower setup for the 599 GTB with the HGTE package. Id think GM could do something similar for the V.

PGA2B
06-03-11, 04:25 PM

It's called the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 (P.L. 93-637)(15 U.S.C. 2301 et seq.) and is a United States federal law.

Do a Google search. Tons of info on it.

GM-4-LIFE
06-03-11, 07:03 PM
try a diff dealer...some are pretty cool with after market mods others arent.

I agree. I would go from dealer to dealer until I get what I want. If one dealer won't honor it under warranty, another will easily do it. After all, they get paid for warranty work and it's not like it will get kicked back by GM if they return a bad shock.

M5eater
06-03-11, 07:48 PM

I got wrong was about passing on the right when someone is turning left. I said it is ok as long as there is an available lane on the left. In my area you are not aloud to pass on the right on a highway so it wasn't a logical answer to me. The right answer was both are correct.

What they're supposed to do, and what's acutally cheaper (buying shocks or hiring an attorney to fight it) are two different things. if we were talking a new $14-16K LSA, I would understand, but I might laugh at someone that would go to court over two rear shocks that has a set of lowering springs on them. I would say that's pretty clear cut.

additionally, and I won't pretend to be extremely familiar with the magna-ride in the V, but I don't know of any car with standard stuts where adding lowering springs does not reduce the life of the shock.
right from D3's page

Made in Holland the /D3/ Sport Springs are ISO 9001 certified as well as TUV approved. They have been engineered and built specifically for the CTS-V or CTS platforms allowing for a 30% stiffer over factory ride. Ride height is lowered by 0.75” FT and 1.25” RR.

The /D3/ Sport Springs offer great balance and will work with your vehicles factory magnetic ride settings when installed with D3 Magnetic Ride Adjustment Rods.

that's a pretty decent drop..