Night Wolf
10-14-04, 12:23 AM
Well, it's a good idea :) :D

slk230mb
10-14-04, 12:53 AM
lol

CadiJeff
10-14-04, 02:05 AM
I agree at 425cid assuming the same hp/torque to cu in ratio it would be aprox 457hp/449ft-lb :D probably higher than that!

caddydaddy
10-14-04, 08:02 AM
You could probably fool a lot of them ricer kids with that engine cover on there! :cookoo:

juiceE
10-14-04, 11:18 AM
:werd:

gothicaleigh
10-14-04, 12:37 PM
lol.
The large displacement Northstars are coming though. Perhaps an engine swap? :p

7.5L XV12 Northstar
750hp

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/concept_cars/2001/11/cadillac_aims_high/images/lg_3.jpg

13.6L XV16 Northstar
1000hp

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/03/cadillacsixteen03_engine.jpg

caddydaddy
10-14-04, 12:42 PM
Yeah, check out the chromed headers on those things! You'd never see that in an STS! :bonkers:

Night Wolf
10-14-04, 03:13 PM
heh, just for s*its and giggles, I should go to a car show, polish that N* cover up and put it on there, then claim I have a super rare 1979 DeVille with a 32v DOHC NorthStar :D

I know the V10 in the Cien concept was a NorthStar... as far as I know, the V16 in the Sixteen is *not* a NorthStar... I have never heard of the term NorthStar go alongside it...

Vesicant
10-14-04, 03:57 PM
From the way the front looks on the V16, looks like they stole some parts from the LSx engines ...

Stoneage_Caddy
10-14-04, 04:08 PM
yup , the v16 is 2 next (well now ) gen corvette engines mated together, only this engine supposedly has varibale cam timing (the first ive heard on a pushrod engine) varible dispalcement (v16-14-12-10-8-6-4 ???) and a few other goodies

as for that 7.5 litre northstar .....i guess that would explain why Bbobs been so quiet lately

barge master
10-14-04, 04:42 PM
I have seen a picture of a prototype V-12 that Caddy had developed and intended to put into production in the early 70s. Along came the emissions crunch in 71 and that was that. It looked just like the 472/500 only looong. :(

majax
10-16-04, 03:45 PM
How much torque does the V16 engine have?

Thats to bad you got all that rust in the engine compartment. I guess the reason newer cars dont rust so much is because there is a lot of plastic and paint lol. Such a cool car though that you have.

The cover looks great where did you get it? They are intended for looks and deadening sound I wonder if your car is quiter with it :shhh:.

Vesicant
10-16-04, 05:35 PM
1000 hp @ 6000rpm

1000 ftlbs @ 4300 rpm

:lildevil:

Night Wolf
10-17-04, 02:19 PM
How much torque does the V16 engine have?

Thats to bad you got all that rust in the engine compartment. I guess the reason newer cars dont rust so much is because there is a lot of plastic and paint lol. Such a cool car though that you have.

The cover looks great where did you get it? They are intended for looks and deadening sound I wonder if your car is quiter with it :shhh:.

The car was a Florida car, alot of salt air, that is the reason why alot of things under the hood are rusty... the body is mint... the car was also rust-proffed when new, it did it's job, but looks like crap... I have been slowly cleaning the rust up, so far I sanded and painted the air cleaner assembly... that helped alot.. looks much better, next i am going to take off the big support bars, do the same with those then finally tape off the stickers over the radiator then sand & paint that.. it should help.

I got the cover witht he rest of my NorthStar :) I just simply put it on there for fun, it dosn't stay on while driivng lol... isn't mounted or anything, just sits on the air cleaner... Once I get the N* rebuilt, I want to find a new cover, mine is missing the wreath and crest sticker in the middle, and has alot of scratches and stuff... still neat to have (it is metal.. I thought they were plastic)

CadiJeff
10-17-04, 03:14 PM
the 95+ are plastic because on those it is decorative on the 93/94 it is actually part of the manifold

Night Wolf
10-17-04, 11:19 PM
oh....

which is better?

and is it true that in 1995+ the intake manifold is a better deisgn... +5hp and +5tq... woudl it be worth it to get one? could i just swap my fuel rails and injectors over?

CadiJeff
10-18-04, 12:15 AM
according to bbob:

thanks bbob just curious. then where does the 95+ get the extra 5 hp

I knew you would ask....LOL....from the intake manfold primarily...but...before you rush off and start trying to change it realize that you will never feel the 5 HP just at the power peak and the gain was more on the order of 2-3 HP which allowed the HP number to "round off" to 300. The reason for the gain was the smaller plenum on the 95 and later manifold. The one piece plastic intake has a much smaller plenum volume compared to the large plenum of the open intake with the individual tubes inside. The smaller plenum tunes for peak power a little better.

The 5 ft.lb. of torque with the 95 and later manifold came from eliminating the small "mouse holes" in the phenolic spacer plates. There is just enough crosstalk between cylinders with the small EGR mouse holes to cause a slight tuning loss at 4400 RPM causing the 5 ft lb loss with the 93/94 manifold system. Once again, not something to get worried about.

Night Wolf
10-18-04, 04:02 PM
So I should just keep the intkae manifold and all the other stuff I have? will my intake manifold restrict anything if I try to get more power out of the N* in the future (exhaust work, cams, larger TB etc...)