: Expected production numbers for BDE V's?

M5eater
06-02-11, 10:17 PM
Since this is touted as a 'special edition' has there been any mention or does anoyone know of what the acutal expected production numbers of the Black Diamond Edition acutally are? On the one hand there's virtually no price premium for them, but on the other we're talking about a 3 stage --first ever in N/A paint that requires extra manufacturing process.

The financial manager at my dealer mentioned less than 100, but I sort of blew that off as smoke up my you-know-what.

Caddy Wagon
06-02-11, 10:34 PM
There will be more BD V's built than some of the other colors.

baabootoo
06-03-11, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I agree. Ever since it was on American Chopper, it will be in huge demand for a while now.

Oldchevguy
06-03-11, 09:51 AM
I had mine in for a service the other day and my old salesman showed me a BD edition sedan in the showroom. He told me there were only 500 brought to Canada. I take that with a grain of salt though because most forum guys know a lot more about the cars than the salesman trying to make a living off of them.

kirbyCTSV
06-03-11, 10:02 AM
not sure why its considered a special edition. its just a different paint and there already is a white diamond.

M5eater
06-03-11, 10:08 AM
not sure why its considered a special edition. its just a different paint and there already is a white diamond.
Back when it was press-released in FEB, it was touted as the first use of the JDSU paint in N/A, along with the wheel, caliper and options package it was released with. The wood trim in it alone is apparently pretty rare if you consider only .8% of all V's in 09 came with the Wood Trim. Also, I haven't seen the BD option on cadilalc's BYO site either, infact the Dealer I bought mine from stated that they had waited to long to order one(and thus could not anymore) and that's why they had to go up to NJ in order to have one for their show-room.

are the White and Red '$999 tricoat/ tintcoat' colors the same JDSU paint? that had me curious when i was looking @ those options, and I've not seen any special press-releases touting their use of the special 2.5 day long application using the JDSU paint and process, just the similar name for the colors.

ChicagoV
06-03-11, 10:42 AM
The Black Diamond is also a special edition, but not a limited edition, so Cadillac would have made as many 2011's as were ordered. As was mentioned before, it is highly likely that the Black Diamond does not end up as the rarest 2011 color. Strangely, if you go to the Cadillac website right now to "build your own" the Black Diamond does not show up as a choice as it did before.

M5eater
06-03-11, 11:53 AM
The Black Diamond is also a special edition, but not a limited edition, so Cadillac would have made as many 2011's as were ordered. As was mentioned before, it is highly likely that the Black Diamond does not end up as the rarest 2011 color.
I believe that answers my question, we'll have to wait until total V numbers come out for the 2011's to figure this one out I suppose.

Strangely, if you go to the Cadillac website right now to "build your own" the Black Diamond does not show up as a choice as it did before.
yes, I mentioned this in my edit, and my Dealer as well insinuated that they were not able to order one at all. They had to trade a white diamond for my black diamond from a DLR in NJ and have a driver transport the vehicle down to VA. So I would assume production has been suspended. Or else they were very impatient.

edit; I believe I remember them acutally saying the DLR in NJ wanted a white diamond and they wanted a V in return, the NJ only had BD, so that's the one that was 'traded'.

ChicagoV
06-03-11, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I noticed that you mentioned the "BYO" thing also- I'm kinda dense. Does this mean that Black Diamond will not be offered in 2012 or does it just mean that you cannot order any 2012s right now?

M5eater
06-03-11, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I noticed that you mentioned the "BYO" thing also- I'm kinda dense. Does this mean that Black Diamond will not be offered in 2012 or does it just mean that you cannot order any 2012s right now?
anything else is speculation, but the facts that I know of are;
the BYO does not list the BDE as a paint code right now
it was a special edition, which means presumably it's not going to be avaliable all the time

2012 or does it just mean that you cannot order any 2012s right now
only MY 2010 and 2011 vehicles are avaliable currently.