: NC-TX-NC trip is done

ecorpuz12
06-02-11, 08:04 PM
Final stats from the entire trip, not just driving there and back but all of the driving:

67.2mph avg
46hrs 49mins of actual driving time
20.6mpg NC --> TX
20.5mpg TX --> NC
3013.7 total miles driven

the mpg was pretty good considering all the junk we were hauling around. i installed a k&n air filter in TX before driving back but i had to fight 30mph head winds all the way into arkansas and the temperature was in the high 90's/low 100's the entire way back.

one of the TPMS sensors went out again on the drive back but regained the signal eventually, and restarting the car made the TPMS caution light go away.

sport mode really made a difference in the mountain sections of I-40...made the driving experience much more enjoyable. in normal cruising the V was all caddy...comfortable, quiet, and prestigious. as i mentioned earlier though, when the pavement got rough the hankooks got pretty loud. the roads in TX and AR were mostly rubbish so i had to deal with the road noise for practically half of the trip. TN had primo asphalt as did most counties in NC.

all in all i was quite pleased with using a supercar as a family road trip truckster. the double takes and head nods by other knowledgeable drivers was an added bonus. : )

only pic i managed to get was the insect genocide on my front grill...wasn't too difficult washing all the carcasses off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7569713@N02/5791330853/in/photostream

elphil
06-02-11, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the report.

NC_Cadzilla
06-02-11, 09:01 PM
the peanut gallery wants to know how much in gas did you burn?

serturbo
06-02-11, 09:31 PM
Not too difficult to figure that out.
3013.7 miles / 20.5 mpg = 147 gallons

Busabob
06-02-11, 10:02 PM
Sweet, sounds like a great trip (I love long road trips). I bought my car from a Dr. just outside NYC. Flew into Laguardia and drove home 2600 miles in three days. I think I was getting 19.8 on cruise at 75, but I didn't do that much. Most of the time I was cruising at 90-100, saw 1-2 LEO's the WHOLE way! It was a bummer stopping every 225-250 miles for gas, but a small price to pay for this car.

ecorpuz12
06-02-11, 11:28 PM
i burned enough gas to keep OPEC in business for the next 10 years.

Sweet, sounds like a great trip (I love long road trips). I bought my car from a Dr. just outside NYC. Flew into Laguardia and drove home 2600 miles in three days. I think I was getting 19.8 on cruise at 75, but I didn't do that much. Most of the time I was cruising at 90-100, saw 1-2 LEO's the WHOLE way! It was a bummer stopping every 225-250 miles for gas, but a small price to pay for this car.

just like you, i love me some road trips. on the interstates i usually kept it about 7-8 over the posted speed limit. didn't see as many fuzzmobiles than i expected...pretty uneventful trip other than getting pulled over for boolsheet on the way there. i did get two windshield chips from rocks kicked up by a truck though. speaking of trucks...it irritates me that they always seem to want to pass a slower truck when a bunch of cars come rolling up in the fast lane instead of waiting an extra 20 seconds.

Caddy Wagon
06-02-11, 11:36 PM
...the roads in TX and AR were mostly rubbish so i had to deal with the road noise for practically half of the trip...

Living in Arkansas, I can definitely agree with that statement.

Busabob
06-02-11, 11:50 PM
speaking of trucks...it irritates me that they always seem to want to pass a slower truck when a bunch of cars come rolling up in the fast lane instead of waiting an extra 20 seconds.

I TOTALLY noticed that!! Here I am a mile behind 2 truck 1 behind the other and just as I'm getting ready to blow by at 20 mph faster than them the 2nd truck would pully out and go 1 mph faster than the other spraying sand on my car. Noticed the same BS when I drove my C6Z back from Huntville, AL

550HP STSV
06-04-11, 12:20 AM
Shit, your front bumper got half as much as mine for 3x the distance....

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/g1323/almost%20finished%20stsv/DSC01189.jpg?t=1306972685

JFJr
06-04-11, 05:44 PM
Ever notice that most gravel trucks are driven like bats out of Hell with their load covers torn to shreds, spewing small bits of stone when they go over the slightest bump? It's really asking for trouble to stay behind them in the same lane. Most of the time I pick up police radar as I'm rocketing around them in the left lane. WTF?

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk)

baabootoo
06-05-11, 01:10 AM
That is a high average speed too. Considering you had to slow some times, you must have been cruising pretty high when you could. Over 20 is very good too, considering the above.

ecorpuz12
06-08-11, 07:02 PM
That is a high average speed too. Considering you had to slow some times, you must have been cruising pretty high when you could. Over 20 is very good too, considering the above.

i only cracked 80 when i was passing ppl and there was a faster car behind me trying to get by. i kept it at 7-9 over the speed limit pretty much the whole way. i was fortunate that traffic was very very light, even through the big cities. i timed it pretty well so that we hit the big cities either in the middle of the day or at night. i'd say that 95% of the trip was on an interstate so that kept the avg speed high.