: Dealer wants $290 to change plugs?

tabio42
06-02-11, 04:52 PM
Is the process of changing spark plugs really that involved in these cars? I bought some tr6 plugs. No way am I paying that much for labor. Is it difficult to DIY?

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:57 PM
Is the process of changing spark plugs really that involved in these cars? I bought some tr6 plugs. No way am I paying that much for labor. Is it difficult to DIY?

difficult no, time consuming and a PITA yes. That's about right. It took me about 2 hours I think to do mine and most dealers charge at least 100 an hr.

You can do it yourself, it's not hard, just some of the plugs are just awakard to get to.

It's just a tight squeeze to get to the middle plugs, and then #2 (driver front) you really have to remove the air filter/box etc, so time adds up.

aj660
06-02-11, 06:02 PM

I paid $250 in labor to install my TR6 plugs.

JimmyH
06-02-11, 06:09 PM
difficult no, time consuming and a PITA yes.

Just like brake jobs. I do them myself, because they are so easy. But they take forever. I assume this is why they are so expensive to have done.

Tom_E
06-02-11, 06:25 PM

Just curious as to why you would change plugs out? Do they really make a hp or MPG difference? I know on the ZR1 several guys changed plugs, but felt there was no difference whatsoever. Just askin..... :wave:

zirotti
06-02-11, 06:29 PM
Just curious as to why you would change plugs out? Do they really make a hp or MPG difference? I know on the ZR1 several guys changed plugs, but felt there was no difference whatsoever. Just askin..... :wave:

I was wondering the same thing

JimmyH
06-02-11, 06:31 PM
I had to change out to a colder plug on one of my previous cars. Or a hotter one, I forget which. To solve detonation on really hot days. Does this affect the LS9?

Domsz06
06-02-11, 07:03 PM
if your running more boost the tr6 are a better plug.

If your stock no point in running them except they are cheaper (but also don't last as long)

baabootoo
06-03-11, 12:34 AM
Too much time, or credit cards on your hands???????????? :)

EVIL_C5
06-03-11, 07:43 AM
while I havent tried to change them on my V, in the past taking the coil packs and valve covers off made the job allot easier. on the 4th gen f-body, the passneger side rear plugs were a nightmare unless you did this. on the C5, it just made the job quicker.

Kadonny
06-03-11, 08:27 AM
It took me at least 2 hours to do them. All the coil packs must come off and as said a few are just a bitch to get to. You will also need a flexible socket extension to get to a few of them. When done my hands were pretty beaten up too.

So you decide. Is $ 290 worth all the aggravation you will save.

EVIL_C5
06-03-11, 08:35 AM
It took me at least 2 hours to do them. All the coil packs must come off and as said a few are just a bitch to get to. You will also need a flexible socket extension to get to a few of them. When done my hands were pretty beaten up too.

So you decide. Is $ 290 worth all the aggravation you will save.

everything on a LSx block is sharp like a razor.....

M5eater
06-03-11, 09:55 AM
everything on a LSx block is sharp like a razor.....

and the LSA is shoved into the caddy with spaces as tight as my old B5 S4. I'm not looking forward to having a completely heat-soaked bay in 5 years. all the plastic will be brittle, hard, and it'll fall apart if you look at it wrong. $290 doesn't sound outrageous as other's have said.

tabio42
06-06-11, 06:19 PM
I have tr6 iridium plugs. What is the appropriate gap for our car?

serturbo
06-06-11, 08:14 PM
Isn't it listed in the manual?

mpouls1
06-06-11, 08:21 PM
I went to O'Reilly and bought the NGK (7397) TR5IX Iridium, 60.53 with tax. My car is stock so I went with the TR5. Used a wire gapper to 40 flat. Labor at dealer was 170.50= 231.83 total. I have a great SA and he also gave me a Cadillac labor coupon worth $10.

I called NGK Technical Support 1-877-473-6767 prompt #2 for the gap.

wait4me
06-06-11, 08:23 PM
Probably shouldnt gap the iridium plugs. I think it said on the main box to not gap them or you will damage the metal and tip.

The copper ones do the best. A tr6 or tr7 should do fine depending on boost/nitrous levels.

wait4me
06-06-11, 08:25 PM
Impuls1 change those plugs ASAP. Dont use the TR5 plug. It WILL damage your engine.

It is way to hot of a plug. The stock heat range is near a 7 in terms of a ngk...

On a ls1 NON supercharged we normally dont go hotter than a tr55

mpouls1
06-06-11, 08:31 PM
Impuls1 change those plugs ASAP. Dont use the TR5 plug. It WILL damage your engine.

It is way to hot of a plug. The stock heat range is near a 7 in terms of a ngk...

On a ls1 NON supercharged we normally dont go hotter than a tr55

Whoa you just scared the s**t outta me. Can you elaborate more? What should I go with? Why the hell would they tell me not to go with a colder plug since it is stock?

wait4me
06-06-11, 08:35 PM
Think supercharged world not Na. They thought the car was NA with no supercharger probably.

That hot of a plug will make detenation pretty easily.

A stock NGK replacement for a 2004 mustang cobra is a tr6. Same for the supercharged Lc3 stsv engine.
Originally they said the replacement for the cobra was a tr55 but alot of issues and they changed it to tr6. Some books even still list the tr55 for the 2003 and tr6 for the 2004 but same engine. ;)

wait4me
06-06-11, 08:36 PM
Damn i normally dont charge to change plugs.. Maybe i should start! lol It is a daily thing here for me to do a spark plug change on a car on the dyno... I usually just charge for the 18 bucks for the plugs...

mpouls1
06-06-11, 08:43 PM
Well purchasing another set of plugs now will put me in the $290 range :banghead:.

So best bet would be NGK (3689) TR6IX straight out of the box and installed, absolutely no gap? Thanks for the advice.

michael

cbloveday
06-06-11, 09:33 PM
I run tr6 when not spraying and in the winter

I usually run the br7ef at the track with my nitrous shot.

Jess and I are in the process of tuning the LSX on nitrous. I have in my notes to go over the plug selection again

tabio42
06-07-11, 09:48 AM
If the stock heat range is a 7, why get a tr6? Isn't the idea to go colder?

mpouls1
06-07-11, 02:43 PM
If the stock heat range is a 7, why get a tr6? Isn't the idea to go colder?

Good question. When I had posted my setup, 3 minutes later I was informed that this was a potentially dangerous setup. I proposed an alternative looking for any informed decisions but have not heard anything. I do not want to jeopardize anything with my V. I will probably just go to dealer and put oem back on.

I believe curtis was suggestion the ngk tr6 but not sure the item number. I've seen V-power and then iridium. Maybe they are the same? Not sure.

tabio42
06-08-11, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty sure the car comes with iridium plugs since they don't recommend changing them il 100k miles. I just don't know the heat range of the stock plugs. I bought 6 heat range because it was suggested to me this heat range will help deter knock being that it is a colder plug. I chose to get the iridium variety (tr6ix) out of personal preference for iridium plugs. Before I install these, can somebody assure me they are colder than oem? I don't want to waste time swapping plugs if I am installing the same heat range.

serturbo
06-08-11, 12:25 PM
According to NGK's website, stock heat range is 5. For NGK plugs, higher numbers equal a colder plug. So yes, you have one step colder plugs.

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
06-08-11, 12:41 PM
i attempted mine started removing all the plastics....took a look at the location of all the plugs....and put all of it back together again...took it around the corner to my boy he did them for 130....well worth not having the PITA....yeyuhhhhhhhh

zirotti
06-08-11, 01:54 PM
So what's wrong with the stock plugs again?

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
06-08-11, 03:42 PM
well i bought my car with 63k on tha dash back in the beginning of feb...(im shur i have more miles on my car than u all put together) its my daily yeyuhhh...i wanted to get it tuned and i thought it ran a little ruff..after sitting in my boys new one..i found out it was just me ....my boy told me to go with the tr7 plugs i belive..not shur..but it had sumting to do with more room for ajustment while tuning...whatever that means..im waiting on the time to do the pulley upgrade and cai so we can tune it now

tabio42
06-08-11, 08:57 PM
My friend, your spelling in your second post hurts my brain. Did you down seven 4locos in between posts? :)
And why aren't you sharing with the rest of us?

haterinc
06-08-11, 09:29 PM
Lol!!!!

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
06-09-11, 07:56 AM
My friend, your spelling in your second post hurts my brain. Did you down seven 4locos in between posts? :)
And why aren't you sharing with the rest of us?

No sir i don't drink, please forgive me for thinking it was not that important, come on dude did u really stumble through that? Or did you see a chance to make a funny at my exspence? I belive it was the second one....but ANYWHOOOO........U B COOL MAN.. There's another one for kicks ;)