: To clear bra or not to clear bra?

js615
06-02-11, 03:52 PM
I've read a lot of posts where folks are talking about 3M or other clear bras - and saw a few about removal woes... My questions, for those that have them:

How are they weathering and how are they holding up at the edges (no curls, peels, etc)?
What is your advice for someone shopping an installer - any hard learned lessons to share?
What did you have done and what did it cost?

Thanks,
J.

EricVonHa
06-02-11, 04:02 PM
Personally I would ask anyone who is a Zaino Distributor to see if they can give you a reference for your area.

This is how I found my guy.

If you take precautions to not use the automatic car wash and are careful with the edges you won't have any problems.

It's not realistic to spend less than 500 dollars. If you get the door handle areas done and the trunk bumper area-- expect to spend north of 750.

I have this to 2 cars now including the V and it has been fantastic.

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:16 PM
I've read a lot of posts where folks are talking about 3M or other clear bras - and saw a few about removal woes... My questions, for those that have them:

How are they weathering and how are they holding up at the edges (no curls, peels, etc)?
What is your advice for someone shopping an installer - any hard learned lessons to share?

Thanks,
J.

1) on my 2007 z06 for 5 years now, still looks new.
2) Just ask to see their work in person, get down and look underneath and look at the edges, if it looks smooth and crisp he is good, if not then don't use him. The installer makes or breaks the instal, and bad installers will show in the hard to reach and see area's
3) depnds how much you do. 2300 bucks for the whole front of my c6z06 (but that was in cali)

js615
06-02-11, 04:38 PM
Thx guys - sounds like everyone is very happy and find this well worth the investment.

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:48 PM
Thx guys - sounds like everyone is very happy and find this well worth the investment.

the only negative I have on it is my z06 is not my daily driver so doesn't see a ton of use, my brother has it on his dd and after a year, granted the roads here suck, it starts to have "fly aways" so yes it's protecting your paint, but you have strands of plastic you have to cut off since it has torn and what not. I have seen that on a few cars as well as it gets older... That's the only negative I have seen. So you just kinda have to factor that in I think.

LFTW8S
06-02-11, 05:11 PM

Thanks,
J.

Got to get it. Paint on these cars wants to chip easy. I just traded my 2010...bra was on for a year and it was perfect. Got the bra on my 2011 as well. I got entire front (I mean the whole front) mirrors, door handles, and trunk for $500. I got a deal cause I bought the car new.

Domsz06
06-02-11, 05:48 PM
Got to get it. Paint on these cars wants to chip easy. I just traded my 2010...bra was on for a year and it was perfect. Got the bra on my 2011 as well. I got entire front (I mean the whole front) mirrors, door handles, and trunk for $500. I got a deal cause I bought the car new.

thats' a hell of a deal!

shade
06-02-11, 05:54 PM
$2000
Car fully wrapped front to back

dqw1
06-02-11, 06:15 PM
i've had mine on for about 18 months and it still looks good. I had the front end, mirrors, and the front of the hood done for about $750 I think. It's well worth the investment and like it's been said, the installer is the key. I didn't do my 04V and regretted it. I might go back and have the entire hood done.

Umrswimr
06-02-11, 07:27 PM
I had mine done right after I bought it. Overall, it's acceptable, but not outstanding. There are some bubbles along some of the lower fascia curves and the appearance is not as smooth as I'd like. From 10', it's fine. Up close, well.... $750 here for front, mirrors, and 18" of hood. I'd do it again, but it's not as nice as I'd like.

markrn
06-02-11, 08:06 PM
My only suggestion is i have the usual kit bumper hood etc. Drove 2k miles from iowa to cali last month. When i get back going to have my installer order a full sheet for the hood as i have several rock scrapes just past where the bra ends on the hood. Should be able to buff them out but the paint is really a weak point on these vehicles. Over all I think they work well rather than painting in the long run
YMMV. I also got the bra for the headlights as well.

Domsz06
06-02-11, 09:35 PM
I had mine done right after I bought it. Overall, it's acceptable, but not outstanding. There are some bubbles along some of the lower fascia curves and the appearance is not as smooth as I'd like. From 10', it's fine. Up close, well.... $750 here for front, mirrors, and 18" of hood. I'd do it again, but it's not as nice as I'd like.

hence you have a bad instal :(

on my z06 if you don't look at the edges where you an see where it stops you would not know I have it done. It's perfect.

cruiser68
06-02-11, 09:47 PM
First post! Had the 3M product on my 08 Yukon Denali and wifey's Enclave and was really happy. I've seen rocks bounce off the film with no mark at all. Stuff is impressive especially with all the f-ing gravel trucks on the highways around here. A couple spots were peeling a bit after 4 years but all in all it held up very well. Had the front done on my 2011 Sedan in Raven Black and it looks great. Had it done at the dealer for 599. As others have said, its ALL in the installer. Planning on a detailing session this weekend so it should look really good by then. I don't think I will own another car without a clear bra.

markrn
06-02-11, 09:49 PM
hence you have a bad instal :(

on my z06 if you don't look at the edges where you an see where it stops you would not know I have it done. It's perfect.

Roger that and overpriced me thinks as well !

vseries
06-02-11, 10:01 PM
I vote no to going it . I had it done on a previous car and the install was fantastic tucked into every corner,under the lamps and this was a custom kit not a pre cut but off of a 3m roll. Now here is why I vote no , the clarity of the paint is just not there .its not as deep and not as flat . right before I sold the car I took it off and I said to myself why the heck did I do this so the next guy can have brand new paint to enjoy looking at? This was a diamond graphite g35 coupe . Yes it protects the paint buut not worth looking at the hood line and unsmooth reflective finish. Maybe I look at my cars too closely?

DoingOK
06-02-11, 10:04 PM
I've had it installed on 7 cars so far. Well worth it and costs me $550 for the whole front end kit, mirrors, door handle areas, door sills and bumper area.

darvish
06-02-11, 10:15 PM
I have to say no also. I had it on my 05 V since new,, it is a daily driver and I take it through a high quality car wash frequently. Eventually it will scratch much more than the paint will. With good paint care such as high quality waxing every so often the paint was still very shiny..... and the bra looked like crap after so many years...And my car is not garaged. I guess if you are worried about small rock chips and are not planning on keeping the car for a long time... do it.... if you really want to spend the coin for the bra, it is a garage queen and you are ready to replace it after about 5 years.. do it. I did not put it on my Diamond edition wagon. It is a daily driver also.. my wife has inherited the 05 unless it sells.

One other thing... if you think you can install this yourself... think again.. I bought a kit and tried to do it myself on my car...eventually wadded up all the expensive 3M plastic and threw it away....I wish it had not been factory installed on my Elise either... but it is and I'll just live with it....

js615
06-03-11, 02:18 PM
Well - between these responses and what I've gotten around the office, it's about a 50/50 play... ...hold on while I get the quarter out of my pocket...