: When it rains, it pours...

King335i
06-02-11, 03:42 PM
I was backing out of my garage this morning and I stopped because I heard a strange noise, I stuck my head out of the window and heard what sounded like a metallic pinging or rattling noise.I think have the isolator rattle now.

Can anyone describe what it may sound like so I can be sure?

CTSV4now
06-02-11, 03:44 PM
marbles in a can

Domsz06
06-02-11, 03:46 PM
I was backing out of my garage this morning and I stopped because I heard a strange noise, I stuck my head out of the window and heard what sounded like a metallic pinging or rattling noise.I think have the isolator rattle now.

take 30 min, buy a solid isolator and call it a day.

King335i
06-02-11, 03:52 PM
take 30 min, buy a solid isolator and call it a day.

I'd rather have this fixed under warranty, thanks though.

js615
06-02-11, 03:55 PM
What is the "isolator rattle"?

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:05 PM

why? it will just come back. Just put the solid isolator in.

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:07 PM
What is the "isolator rattle"?

start your engine, pop your hood and you will hear a noise like a rattle just behind your snout.

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:09 PM

and also, unless you have a AWESOME service advisor they won't fix it. Best bet you get them to put a new one in and then it comes back. My service advisor has been really good, but he even said its a waste of time. He won't do it unless the customer begs for it as he knows it's just gonna come back. Mark it up as another one of those "gm didn't fix" issues.

There was a good thread on it and why it's supposed to be a non solid isolator. Maybe I can find it.

musclesbmf
06-02-11, 04:50 PM

From the vague description you gave, I don't think it's the isolator rattle you heard. But if it is indeed that, the dealer will tell you it is normal and send you on your way.

Mark

Domsz06
06-02-11, 05:00 PM
From the vague description you gave, I don't think it's the isolator rattle you heard. But if it is indeed that, the dealer will tell you it is normal and send you on your way.

Mark

Mine kinda sounds like that.... heck honestly I didn't even realize mine was bad till Mike told me, "damn your sc is loud" lol I thought it was heck of a lot quiet then before (blown pistons make loud noises ) :D

King335i
06-02-11, 09:08 PM

Mark

I don't know how much more descriptive I can get.

How's this:

I thrust the gear lever into reverse with a rush of adrenaline, the faux suede gripping back at my damp palm. The behemoth of steel and wires began to move slowly backwards, much in the same way that a giant freighter does when being set out to sea for its first time. Its distinguished crest and wreath seemed to guide it out of its resting place with all the grace of an angel, the cacophonous rumbling of the V8 like a choir at my dispose. All of a sudden a faint noise fell upon my ears, almost as if a clock were ticking at an accelerated rate. I quickly jutted my head out the gaping hole where the window sat only seconds ago and turned my head to the left with a suave demeanor, obtaining a better angle from which to hear this faint maelstrom of rattling. The realization crept over my conscience with all the alacrity and countenance of blackstrap molasses--I had the dreaded isolator rattle. The ticking took on a demeanor of its own, each little rattle drawing me closer and closer to the edge of annoyance. I listened for yet another minute, letting the depth of the situation sink in like fresh blood on a clean white cotton t-shirt. The ticking and rattling, clearly audible from inside the vehicle, rang out like a cry for finer engineering emanating from deep within the heart of my Eaton twin four-lobe roots type supercharger.

Like I said, I started hearing rattling and ticking coming from my engine bay.

DomsZ06, I'm definitely going to take up your advice and put a solid isolator in. Any suggestions on where to get one? And is the install something that most shops could do?

Domsz06
06-02-11, 09:26 PM

How's this:

I thrust the gear lever into reverse with a rush of adrenaline, the faux suede gripping back at my damp palm. The behemoth of steel and wires began to move slowly backwards, much in the same way that a giant freighter does when being set out to sea for its first time. Its distinguished crest and wreath seemed to guide it out of its resting place with all the grace of angel, the cacophonous rumbling of the V8 like a choir at my dispose. All of a sudden a faint noise fell upon my ears, almost as if a clock were ticking at an accelerated rate. I quickly jutted my head out the gaping hole where the window sat only seconds ago and turned my head to the left with a suave demeanor, obtaining a better angle from which to hear this faint maelstrom of rattling. The realization crept over my conscience with all the alacrity and countenance of blackstrap molasses--I had the dreaded isolator rattle. The ticking took on a demeanor of its own, each little rattle drawing me closer and closer to the edge of annoyance. I listened for yet another minute, letting the depth of the situation sink in like fresh blood on a clean white cotton t-shirt. The ticking and rattling, clearly audible from inside the vehicle, rang out like a cry for finer engineering emanating from deep within the heart of my Eaton twin four-lobe roots type supercharger.

DomsZ06, I'm definitely going to take up your advice and put a solid isolator in. Any suggestions on where to get one? And is the install something that most shops could do?

your solid, pick your favorite vendor.

Instal, do you have a few wrenches and a 6 pack? lol.

yeah any shop can do it. I think it's a grand total of like 6 bolts, or maybe it's 10, idk. and it takes about 30 min's or 60 if you drink a few cold one's.

you can search youtube for instal video's.

Domsz06
06-02-11, 09:27 PM

How's this:

I thrust the gear lever into reverse with a rush of adrenaline, the faux suede gripping back at my damp palm. The behemoth of steel and wires began to move slowly backwards, much in the same way that a giant freighter does when being set out to sea for its first time. Its distinguished crest and wreath seemed to guide it out of its resting place with all the grace of angel, the cacophonous rumbling of the V8 like a choir at my dispose. All of a sudden a faint noise fell upon my ears, almost as if a clock were ticking at an accelerated rate. I quickly jutted my head out the gaping hole where the window sat only seconds ago and turned my head to the left with a suave demeanor, obtaining a better angle from which to hear this faint maelstrom of rattling. The realization crept over my conscience with all the alacrity and countenance of blackstrap molasses--I had the dreaded isolator rattle. The ticking took on a demeanor of its own, each little rattle drawing me closer and closer to the edge of annoyance. I listened for yet another minute, letting the depth of the situation sink in like fresh blood on a clean white cotton t-shirt. The ticking and rattling, clearly audible from inside the vehicle, rang out like a cry for finer engineering emanating from deep within the heart of my Eaton twin four-lobe roots type supercharger.

yeah any shop can do it. I think it's a grand total of like 6 bolts, or maybe it's 10, idk. and it takes about 30 min's or 60 if you drink a few cold one's.

King, It's a shame you don't live in TX, I'd do all your work for you for beer lol.

oh well such is life :)

whisler151
06-03-11, 10:00 AM
Any suggestions on where to get one? And is the install something that most shops could do?

Part: http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LPE&Product_Code=L960130709&Category_Code=

Instructions: http://ww.lingenfelter.com/LPEforumfiles/showthread.php?t=130

Tedboss1
06-03-11, 12:09 PM
Here is a video from wait4me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4Jh_B2r6Y

DrumStix
06-03-11, 12:46 PM
They probably won't do it. It has come up before with others something to the effect of "Operating within normal range".

If you get a new or lazy tech you may get a new blower if the can not isolate the isolator. GM does not offer this as a seperate item.

mrl859
06-03-11, 03:24 PM

How's this:

I thrust the gear lever into reverse with a rush of adrenaline, the faux suede gripping back at my damp palm. The behemoth of steel and wires began to move slowly backwards, much in the same way that a giant freighter does when being set out to sea for its first time. Its distinguished crest and wreath seemed to guide it out of its resting place with all the grace of an angel, the cacophonous rumbling of the V8 like a choir at my dispose. All of a sudden a faint noise fell upon my ears, almost as if a clock were ticking at an accelerated rate. I quickly jutted my head out the gaping hole where the window sat only seconds ago and turned my head to the left with a suave demeanor, obtaining a better angle from which to hear this faint maelstrom of rattling. The realization crept over my conscience with all the alacrity and countenance of blackstrap molasses--I had the dreaded isolator rattle. The ticking took on a demeanor of its own, each little rattle drawing me closer and closer to the edge of annoyance. I listened for yet another minute, letting the depth of the situation sink in like fresh blood on a clean white cotton t-shirt. The ticking and rattling, clearly audible from inside the vehicle, rang out like a cry for finer engineering emanating from deep within the heart of my Eaton twin four-lobe roots type supercharger.
After reading this, two things sprung to mind:
1)"The night was moist"
2)I fully expected Favio to be on the front cover of your book with his shirt partially opened.

garfin
06-03-11, 06:50 PM
There was a good thread on it and why it's supposed to be a non solid isolator. Maybe I can find it.

Is this the one... with Ed's explanation?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/185476-engineering-response-s-c-shaft-wear.html

Best regards,

Elie

King335i
06-04-11, 11:33 PM
I would be all for that, what is your beer of choice? :)

King, It's a shame you don't live in TX, I'd do all your work for you for beer lol.

oh well such is life :)

King335i
06-04-11, 11:34 PM
after reading this, two things sprung to mind:
1)"the night was moist"
2)i fully expected favio to be on the front cover of your book with his shirt partially opened.

lol!

King335i
06-04-11, 11:40 PM
I have noticed yet another new noise, when driving under heavy boost there is an odd whirring, kind of like an underlying noise to the supercharger whine that sounds like someone saying "shhh", it sounded forced and is as if the engine was struggling or something. It wasn't there before during heavy boost, and something about it just does not sound right.

Has anyone encountered something like this?

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
06-07-11, 01:16 PM
im having the same problem with mine.......just waiting on a little free time to get to it