: Pissed off my OnStar Phone Minutes are going to expire.

algiorda
06-02-11, 02:02 PM
Anyone else upset their OnStar prepaid phone minutes expire?

Oh, they will graciously rollover my minutes if I purchase new minutes. I don't need any more minutes, I already paid for 130m????/wtf

I keep those minutes in case of an emergency let's say I need to call someone and I FORGOT MY PHONE in an emergency.

Isn't that the whole point of OnStar?

I have the mind to Cancel OnStar if they cancel my minutes.

Grrrrrr.

cvettr/cts-v
06-02-11, 04:18 PM
I let the minutes expire on my v because I had an issue with them crediting the roll-over minutes upon last year renewel. They after complaining last year gave me a 2 month extension to onstar which then got the cell minute renewell date different than onstar. Upon the minutes expiration comming close this year called them and said either let me buy more minutes now and roll them in 2 months when onstar renews or correct the cell expire and onstar expire dates to the same date. Their answer was no...... to not loose any minutes I would have to buy before expiration then upon onstar renewell have to buy more to roll over or loose all my unused and 2 month old minutes. after several calls and e-mails with no budging on their part i let cell minutes expire and will not add them upon onstar renewell in a couple weeks. It's bad enough the rate per minute they charge but to acknowledge that it is wrong and refuse to help is stupid. The minutes in my opinion should never expire but if they want to have them expire they should only expire on the annual date onstar expires if it is going to be afactor in the calculation. It is bs they say they expire in 1 year or when onstar plan expires which ever is first... what a croc. At least you do not have to have minutes available to have onstar services.

algiorda
06-02-11, 04:35 PM
That Sux.....I think I will have my dog make a few calls to OnStar customer service and use up my outstanding minutes that way....:thumbsup:

stevec5375
06-02-11, 05:43 PM
The whole expiring minutes thing is a crock. I let mine expire and refuse to buy anymore. I'm letting XM Radio go as well. Too much money for songs that repeat all the time. I may even let OnStar go too. In all my life I have never needed anything like OnStar. I think it's expensive for the fact that I NEVER use it.

Smokin' SRX
06-02-11, 08:46 PM
algiorda, I'm sure you know that Verizon will add your Onstar phone as a second phone, but of course you pay Verizon their $10 a month for another phone#. Then you share the total minutes Verizon gives you. Only worth it if you then use the Onstar phone a lot, cause your cell phone has crummy reception, weak battery,etc Cheaper to just use you cell and Bluetooth to pair it.

Onstar is expensive but I get my money's worth with directions and restaurant reservations while driving. Of course they down load directions to the dash too. BUT......if you let the phone minutes expire, don't worry. In an emergency, hit the Red Onstar button and they'll call your spouse, job etc for the asking!

SS

doctormstein1
06-02-11, 09:50 PM
My onstar expired the 30th of June and I call to extend it on a monthly payment. I asked if they could extend my minutes first they said that could extend it 6 months. Then I asked if they could extend it for one year and she said that she would be glad to do it at which time I agreed to renew my subscription. Their was really no problem, just asked. Maybe I was lucky

Marc NY
06-02-11, 10:28 PM
Anyone else upset their OnStar prepaid phone minutes expire?

Oh, they will graciously rollover my minutes if I purchase new minutes. I don't need any more minutes, I already paid for 130m????/wtf
I keep those minutes in case of an emergency let's say I need to call someone and I FORGOT MY PHONE in an emergency.
Isn't that the whole point of OnStar?

I have the mind to Cancel OnStar if they cancel my minutes.

Grrrrrr.Hmmm I never heard that you had to purchase extra minutes ... it is my understanding that OnStar lets you keep your remaining minutes if you renew your subscription.

Marc NY
06-02-11, 10:34 PM
The whole expiring minutes thing is a crock. I let mine expire and refuse to buy anymore. I'm letting XM Radio go as well. Too much money for songs that repeat all the time. I may even let OnStar go too. In all my life I have never needed anything like OnStar. I think it's expensive for the fact that I NEVER use it. I hope you will never need to use OnStar. I keep both features because I want and like them both ... I also feel the extra security is well worth the added cost of having it.

Don't we own a beautiful luxury car? If I wanted a striped down no frills go kart I would have bought one. :banghead:

algiorda
06-02-11, 11:10 PM
Marc, maybe you like getting nickel and dimed to death; I don't. How do you think I was able to afford the SRX?

algiorda
06-02-11, 11:11 PM
REFILL YOUR MINUTES TODAY AND
ROLL OVER ANY UNUSED MINUTES.
Keep your unused minutes and don't let them expire. With OnStar®1 Hands-Free Calling, you get stronger reception and fewer dropped calls than with a regular cell phone, and there's nothing to hold while you're driving. Always keep enough minutes available to reach your family and friends. Your minutes are good for a full year or until your subscription ends, and now's your chance to roll over any unused minutes before they expire.
Buy minutes online now. You can also order minutes by pushing your Onstar Hands-Free Calling button and saying "minutes."
To learn more, check out our Hands-Free Calling Quick Guide.

Smokin' SRX
06-03-11, 12:28 AM
Try again! I even bargained for the $299 yearly D&C service upgrade. Said I wanted to cancel as I couldn't afford 28 bucks a month and could maybe swing about $200 a year. They said take it for $240! I did.......

SS

Marc NY
06-03-11, 07:42 AM
Marc, maybe you like getting nickel and dimed to death; I don't. How do you think I was able to afford the SRX?I certainly can understand what you are saying... no one wants to be nickeled and dimed to death and it is awesome you were able to buy the car that you wanted to own. Life is too short and for me and I want to enjoy getting from point A to point B in comfort and style that I love and enjoy.

BTW: I believe we all want to get the best deal and try to negotiate the best price too. That being said I feel very strongly that if I were on a highway or a lonely country road and got into an accident and lost my cell phone or couldn't use it because I was hurt that badly I know I would want to have OnStar calling someone to come get me ASAP.

As far as XM prices go ... I too think they are high but to suggest Like Steve has above "to listen to the same old music over and over again" is a big waste of money, well one of the many reasons I like XM is because there are far too many damn commercials on FM and I am so sick and tired of hearing 1-2 songs and then 10 min of commercials... so that is why I love XM continuous music. If you are bored with the same ole same ole songs on XM I would suggest trying to listen to the many dozens of dozens of other great programs on XM instead of the same old music you seem to be listening to. Or put in your favorite collection of music on your CD or perhaps listen to your I-Tunes.

Hey... Life is too short ... ENJOY LIFE! :dance7:

Smokin' SRX
06-03-11, 10:51 AM
Best part is having the choice. If you cancel any service ( phone or Onstar) you just push the blue button and you can have it back in minutes for Onstar, hours (or less) for phone service ..

The Red button really works from: hitting an animal on the road to spotting/confronting a drunken/road rage driver...........very prompt, well trained advisors there.

Don't forget, use the Red Onstar button for even emergency phone calls. ( if you have to wait for new phone service to be activated) They'll help you!
SS

cbramsey5898
06-03-11, 11:04 AM
<rant on>

I had a little under 300 minutes that I paid for that I lost May 9th. I went to Cades Cove over the Memorial Day weekend. I had no regular cell phone service so I went to use my OnStar phone. It was then I found out my minutes had expired.

I was very upset. If I had really read my OnStar vehicle diagnostics email I would have known my minutes would have expired.

I don't know about you but I am inundated with emails and just skimmed over that important tidbit of information.

<rant off>

Ponyman
06-03-11, 01:42 PM
came in handy on vacation two weeks ago in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. The cabin out in the middle of nowhere, while quiet and beautiful, didn't have ATT cell phone signal. We had to drive almost two miles for our cell phones to work. The satellite phone with onStar worked great. Definetly worth the money. Like Marc said, life is too short. A couple of extra dollar for OnStar, phone minutes, and XM are a very small price to pay for comfort and convenience.

Kuya
06-03-11, 02:31 PM
Finally the "rollover" clause worked in someone's favor!

As I have shared in many other threads . . . I am a new owner of a 2010 AWD Prem, just 1 1/2 weeks ago. The previous owner had it for 10 months. Onstar gave me the remaining balance of their year free trial, and then added on a 6 month free trial to my vehicle.

The previous owner had 286 minutes on the balance of the Onstar Phone. They expire on the 9th of this month. I found it a bit confusing. Do I get to use those minutes? Do they belong to me or the previous owner?

Called Onstar. The agent told me that they were now mine, and they expire on the 9th, but if I purchase any minute plan, I can roll them over into the new plan for 12 more months.

So for $14.99 I purchased 100 minutes. . . which gained me a total of 386 minutes for $14.99

I find that to be a helluva deal!

Therefore, in this instance - the rollover factor was a nice surprise.

cvettr/cts-v
06-03-11, 02:59 PM
Earlier in this thread smokin' said verizon will let you add your onstar car phone to an existing plan for minute pooling / rollover. That got me thinking can you then import the srx cell # issued to any carrier if choice? or will it not funtion if not on verizon. If it only functions on verizon can you just open a new verizon zccount with the supplied # and cut onstar out of the profit? anyone tried this? Of course if your not on verizon now it would probably be cost prohibitive to change over, just curious.

Kuya
06-03-11, 03:24 PM
FYI - regarding Verizon/Onstar.

When I logged into my Onstar account on line, I noticed there was a notice: The Verizon/Onstar plan was being discontinued.

Earlier in this thread smokin' said verizon will let you add your onstar car phone to an existing plan for minute pooling / rollover. That got me thinking can you then import the srx cell # issued to any carrier if choice? or will it not funtion if not on verizon. If it only functions on verizon can you just open a new verizon zccount with the supplied # and cut onstar out of the profit? anyone tried this? Of course if your not on verizon now it would probably be cost prohibitive to change over, just curious.

Smokin' SRX
06-03-11, 11:37 PM
This is unacceptable . They are a customer safety/service company. You are a LOYAL customer.

Press the Blue Button again. Ask to speak to a supervisor from the get go. Politely/firmly say you'd like to keep your Onstar phone as an enhancement to the whole Onstar security experience they stress. Admit you missed the email they send us, do to work load, etc. Ask what can be done. Be prepared to buy a small minute package ($10?) If you're told "Nothing" can be done, either ask for an appeal/review or if unavailable, call back next day and start again! You'll get something I'd bet!! Persistence/sincerity will pay.

SS

frankrizzo135
06-04-11, 01:55 PM
I will never renew onstar just to get to buy more "EXPENSIVE" phone minutes. I got along just fine without onstar and as far as hands-free calling my cell phone with the BLUETOOTH feature works very well. Some people think you have to keep your onstar subscription to use your bluetooth but you do not have to.

Smokin' SRX
06-05-11, 11:57 AM
Kuya, thx for HU on Verizon plan being dropped by Onstar. Hadn't heard that. I do not have Verizon, but was aware of the Verizon plan to share minutes.(I used AT&T as provider)

My last post was in ref to calling Onstar and insisting they do not drop any unused minutes at year end term. I have found them to be flexible, even on price, when I sincerely asked for a consideration. If not satisfied ask for a Supervisor, and if told NO, call back few hours later and try again. You are entitled to those minutes. You may have to buy a small minutes package ($12?) as Kuya did, and keep them all for another year. Your decision.

5 days ago, while on a 100 mile trip, my Onstar Virtual Advisor said ...."No traffic assistance available for your area". I traveled 15 more miles and asked again. Same all day. I pressed the Blue button and complained to a rep. They said "sorry, we're giving you 2 free months of Directions and Connections added to your service. That's a $50 bill. Free! Never hurts to politely, firmly, and sincerely ask.....

SS

Marc NY
06-05-11, 05:41 PM
:thumbsup:
... while on a 100 mile trip, my Onstar Virtual Advisor said ...."No traffic assistance available for your area". I traveled 15 more miles and asked again. Same all day. I pressed the Blue button and complained to a rep. They said "sorry, we're giving you 2 free months of Directions and Connections added to your service. That's a $50 bill. Free! Never hurts to politely, firmly, and sincerely ask.....

SSSS has the right attitude! :thumbsup:

As the old saying goes... You get a lot more with honey ... just bitchin, yelling and screaming usually won't get you anywhere fast!

If you don't succeed the first time ... try try (call call back) again! :D

KevinOpp
06-10-11, 02:43 PM
interesting----i phoned OnStar last month to see about extending my minutes that expire in June. she advised me that they were starting a new "Unlimited Calling Plan" for $10/month, and i should just use up my minutes or let them expire and roll into the new plan.

as we live in a very rural area with no cellular except for what OnStar can do, it's a great deal for us. but i'm surprised that no one else here has heard mention of this new plan??

Smokin' SRX
06-11-11, 10:17 AM
Never heard..... I spend about $75 a year I guess on Onstar phone minutes now, as a supplement to my reg cell service. (as a back-up to my everyday cell phone) $120 a year for UNLIMITED ain't bad, if ya forget/didn't charge/beyond service area your every day cell. Doesn't send a tingle down my leg, as I usually have cell service, and just use the Bluetooth connect feature while driving. But in your case KevinOpp, a good deal. Now if I could take my SRX into the restaurant/meeting with me, I'd dump my $75 a month cell plan fast!! SS

KevinOpp
06-27-11, 02:36 AM
well, it's true----

my minutes expire tomorrow, so i called and asked about the "Monthly Minutes Plan" that i had heard about. she said yes, there was a new plan for unlimited calling each month, no contract, no roaming, free long distance. when i said i was told it was $9.99 she said that was a special that they had offered, but she would honor it since that's what i was quoted. $12.91/month after tax and other fees. charged monthly to my Visa, she said my rate would not change.

again, living in a rural area where handheld phones don't work but the SRX mostly does, it's a great deal for us. it's already started one hour later!!

i didn't see ANY mention of this plan anywhere on the OnStar site, nor have i gotten any emails about it. i would suggest calling for it if you use the phone much.

Smokin' SRX
06-27-11, 09:49 AM
Tks again KEVINOPP for this data. I am considering.....

SS

frankrizzo135
06-27-11, 10:56 AM
I dropped XM and will be dropping Onstar and phone. Their rates are to high and don't need their grief. My bluetooth hands free phone works great and you don't need Onstar to use it.

Kuya
06-27-11, 09:23 PM
Another confirmation . . . . if you call and ask for the $9.99 unlimited, they will tell you that it is now $14.99 but if you insist, they will give it to you.

I had 254 free minutes still existing on my account and I don't want to throw them away, so they locked in the $9.99/month for when I have used up these minutes. . . AWESOME.

Thanks KevinOpp, and everyone else for passing along this good deal.

cvettr/cts-v
06-29-11, 08:04 PM
I just called and got the $9.99 a month which is $12.91 a month unlimited minutes on the V while i renewed my onstar. They did try to charge $14.99 a month but as soon as I said I seen that on your web site for $9.99 plus tax they gave it to me. I'm probably way over paying as I hardly drive the car and in 5 years only used about 45 mins cell in it but with all the mobile phone useage laws changing I should probably change my cell habits while driving. I was just today infuriated when a mobile texter joined my lane while looking at their hand typing. Oh well I'll quit ranting point is for some it makes sense to use the hands free minutes and the package is still available for the asking.

crederer
08-04-11, 11:19 AM
I think there's a bit of confusion. Were you people on the trial version of onstar and you bought phone minutes? Because I'm pretty sure how it works is you have to be part of the subscription of onstar to buy minutes. So if most of your trial periods are over, you need to subscribe to the safe and sound or connections and directions package. and any unused minutes will be rolled over at that point.

It's like having a cell phone company give you a phone for free for a few months while you pay the plan. Then at end of trial you have to buy the phone to continue using it.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is what is going on with most of you.

frankrizzo135
08-04-11, 11:34 PM
I agree , I already canceled XM Radio , and will cancel Onstar and its expensive phone minutes in Nov. .You do not need Onstar to use your Bluetooth Phone and the minutes are a lot cheaper.

mm9351
08-05-11, 10:01 PM
On my monthly diagnostic email I got the following message:

Hands-Free Calling
• Calling #: xxx-xxx-xxxx
• Minutes Remaining: 181
• Expiration: 09/26/2011
(or when OnStar subscription ends, whichever comes first)

Your minutes are about to expire. Refill minutes now and rollover unused minutes.

My OnStar subscription expires in December...so it appears I'll have to refill in September to rollover my minutes...