: The Mysterious Glove Box Cooler . .

Kuya
06-02-11, 11:32 AM
So, the manual says that the entire glove box can be used as a cooler. To keep beverage, etc cool (obviously not ice cold . .).

It says that the AC has to be On (check)

and then it got confusing for me . . explains something about setting my vent to small circle . . I dunno . . lol.

Anyway, when my AC is on and the car is nice and cool, I open the glove box and it does not really feel cool in there . . Certainly not enough to keep a can of soda less than room temperature.

Is there something I need to do to use this feature?

Cadillac Tony
06-02-11, 11:41 AM
On the left side of the inside of the glove box there's a plastic "slider". Moving that back and forth will open or close the AC vent inside there.

Honestly though, you're not keeping much very cold in there- not much air comes through. It would probably help keeping metal frame sunglasses from getting scorching hot, but I don't see a drink staying cool in there.

Kuya
06-02-11, 12:20 PM
Thanks Tony!

I was hoping I could keep a few cans of soda cool on a long trip . . . or a bottle of wine :)

But, at least my Dolce & Gabbana shades wont crack from the heat, then.

I heard the 2011 Lincoln MRX offers a between the seat area larger cooler . . . curious if that actually works, or if it is based on the same "AC" premises.

Smokin' SRX
06-02-11, 08:29 PM
Yeah, ours is outstandingly................mediocre!

The Lincoln, I believe is electrically cooled! You can buy some on Amazon . You must keep eng running as it draws a lot of power (electrical). One I saw did a reasonable job!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=car+cooler+plug+in&sprefix=car+cooler+plug+in

SS

sube5186
06-02-11, 10:12 PM
So, the manual says that the entire glove box can be used as a cooler. To keep beverage, etc cool (obviously not ice cold . .)

:lol: Does the manual actually say that? Which manual did you get? I think somebody's playing a practical joke on you. At best, the cooled glove compartment just keeps things from getting "scorching" hot. It's a nice feature, but I don't think it was ever intended to be a mini refrigerator.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
06-02-11, 10:50 PM
She's right.......I guess. Says "use to store things at a cooler temperature." So even 5 degrees is cooler..

SS

Willo
06-03-11, 05:27 PM
The lower of the two compartments in the center console (wherre the USB port is) has a relatively cool environment due to the air conditioning ductwork running to the vents in back of the console and may have more room for whatever you need to keep cooler than the interior temperature.

Kuya
06-03-11, 06:54 PM
Thanks Willo . . .

That & the cooled glove box will suffice for things like sun glasses, etc. But when reading about the "glove box cooler" I was hoping it was good enough to keep a few cans of soda . . cold for a long full day drive.

Wishful thinking.

The lower of the two compartments in the center console (wherre the USB port is) has a relatively cool environment due to the air conditioning ductwork running to the vents in back of the console and may have more room for whatever you need to keep cooler than the interior temperature.