: EFE sticky? repair or new?

Adrian12
06-02-11, 10:01 AM
hi friends

today i checkt my EFE at exhaust manifold at my 368 engine... i can't move it by hand it is totally sticky...

can it be cleaned on removal or must it be new?
where can i buy a new one? on ebay there are only som for corvette 80s....

thanks a lot

sven914
06-02-11, 03:48 PM
I don't think you are supposed to be able to move it by hand.

To test the EFE, you need to monitor its operation as the engine warms up from a cold start. If there is no movement, disconnect the vacuum line, with the engine running, and see if there is vacuum on the line. If there is vacuum and the EFE is not functioning, then the EFE valve is defective or the linkage is binding. If there is no vacuum at the line, then the Thermostatic Vacuum Switch (TVS) may be malfunctioning.

You can try lubricating the EFE with a Heat Valve Lubricant (http://www.merchant-automotive.com/heatvalvelubricant.aspx), to loosen to linkage.

Adrian12
06-03-11, 04:00 AM
I don't think you are supposed to be able to move it by hand.

To test the EFE, you need to monitor its operation as the engine warms up from a cold start. If there is no movement, disconnect the vacuum line, with the engine running, and see if there is vacuum on the line. If there is vacuum and the EFE is not functioning, then the EFE valve is defective or the linkage is binding. If there is no vacuum at the line, then the Thermostatic Vacuum Switch (TVS) may be malfunctioning.

You can try lubricating the EFE with a Heat Valve Lubricant (http://www.merchant-automotive.com/heatvalvelubricant.aspx), to loosen to linkage.

thanks a lot..

i didn't see any movement on warmup but i'll check this out again this weekend with vacuum test and i'll let you know.

adrian

brougham
06-03-11, 12:22 PM
They usually move unless they are seized. Connect it to vacuum and see what happens.

outsider
06-03-11, 12:42 PM
i broke mine while pulling my engine...didn't replace it yet but if the car doesn't perform well i may. I was told by others here that it wasn't needed as long as it's not stuck closed

sven914
06-03-11, 05:28 PM
^If it's in the open position, the exhaust will flow like usual. You will only have problems in the winter, on cold starts, because the EFE directs the exhaust under the intake and carburettor and helps it warm up. If the valve is stuck closed, it will cause an exhaust restriction, and the excess hot air flowing under the intake will cause it to overheat.

outsider
06-03-11, 05:50 PM
thanks Sven. I will not be running the car in the winter so I should be OK :D

brougham
06-03-11, 07:31 PM
It can also cause cold running problems when it's not winter. But if you've never noticed anything it's nothing to worry about.