: Stuck distributor on 69

outsider
06-02-11, 09:34 AM
I forgot to post this before...
this past weekend I tuned up my 69 with new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points, and condenser.

Problem is, when I went to time the thing the distributor wouldn't turn. Sprayed it down with PB Blaster and Kroil but still pretty well stuck.

Anyone got any tricks for freeing it without breaking anything?

CADforce69
06-02-11, 11:31 AM
Maybe itīs stuck by the grease/rust on the block and no timing adjustment for decades. In addition to a loosening product, you can add some engine oil, leaving it some hours to actuate and then knocking the distributor metallic base preferably with a nylon hammer (without distributor cap). As itīs difficult to hit the part precisely, you can place a stick on different parts of the distributor base and hitting the stick but the most effective way is hitting directly.

outsider
06-02-11, 11:53 AM
Thanks CADForce. I was afraid of breaking something by hitting it. I will give that a try next time.

My girlfriend's father was going to try to hit it with a 20 lb sledge hammer and I was like "NOOOOOOOOOO!" haha

csbuckn
06-02-11, 11:56 AM
Where would you hit? Isnt it a cylinder shaft?

outsider
06-02-11, 12:24 PM
It is a cylinder shaft but there are some parts that jut out near the top that you could probably put a stick on and hit...the thing was stuck pretty good though.

CADforce69
06-02-11, 12:32 PM
Thanks CADForce. I was afraid of breaking something by hitting it. I will give that a try next time.

My girlfriend's father was going to try to hit it with a 20 lb sledge hammer and I was like "NOOOOOOOOOO!" haha

I was thinking of something more subtle than a 20 lb sledge hammer :lol: Anyway, if you hit a stick placed on the base surface or hit directly with a nylon hammer there will be no damage unless you hit the rotor or the points by accident.

cadillac_al
06-02-11, 03:34 PM
There is no easy way to get them out as far as I know. I seem to have about a 50/50 chance of getting them out without breaking them. Be careful. I have been having a lot of good luck breaking things loose with Castle Thrust; it's a spray penetrating oil. I usually start out tapping on the vacuum advance to get it to start turning some and work it from there. I have used the old pinch bar on a couple when nothing else seems to work. Good luck.

I bought a new distributor for my Seville but I can't get the old one out either. I won't feel so bad if I break it because i have a new one waiting to go in.

cosmo
06-04-11, 06:55 PM
I've actually done this recently.
Kroil (Kanolabs.com), and, if it runs, spray it when it's hot.
Spray it every day for about a week.
Remove the A/C compressor, it's in the way.
Use a pipe wrench, very near the base, and try twisting it.
If it twists, twist it more, while trying to pry it upward.

Things to NOT do: Hit the distributor anywhere but directly on the base, and then only to input some vibration to aid the Kroils penetration.
Twist using the vacuum can for leverage.
Expect results immediately after spraying Kroil.
Try this without removing the compressor. The oblique angles will break the distributor.

Cosmo

cadchris
06-07-13, 02:13 PM
In case anyone found this older thread on an internet search, here's some updates about the subject. I did a lot of research about this problem. Here is an updated link with a lot of tech. tips and info on freeing a stuck distributor in this thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/277355-472-how-boost-fuel-economy-9.html#post3465241

See posts# 112, #121, #134.

I hope this helps others with a stuck distributor. If anyone finds different ideas work, post back here to let everyone know.

Good Luck,

Regards,
Chris