: Rainsense issue on 2009 CTS-V. Display flashes everytime wipers clear windshield.

sshinstrom
06-01-11, 08:20 PM
Have white 2009 CTS-V and wonder if anyone has the following issue. I understand how the rainsense works/worked. I normally have my display set to digital speedo and when you flip the wiper lever up one click the display flashes "rainsense activated". Then the wipers are supposed to go on and off as needed. No issue there. However in my case every time they turn on the display flashes "rainsense activated". Never used to do this and I had it repaired once before and it solved the problem. Only flashes the first time the sense is activated.

Correct me if I am wrong but Cadillac told my dealer that it is supposed to flash every time the wiper activate? Never did this before so wondering how all the other 09 owners rainsense works. Does your display flash evertime your wipers turn on in rainsense mode? Very annoying to have speedo go off and get that message. I can't image that is "normal"?:banghead:

Appreciate the feedback. They are calling GM to confirm as I took the tech out and he witnessed it even after GM told them this is normal...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

zirotti
06-01-11, 09:37 PM
Maybe this is why they stopped using Rainsense wipers. Not even an option anymore.

Domsz06
06-01-11, 10:32 PM
mine doesn't do that. But I also don't use the speedo, I use the g-meter... I'll try it if it ever rains in texas again.

I think they are an option again. Apparently the supplier went out of business.

JimmyH
06-01-11, 10:38 PM
I thought I read rainsense is returning to 2012 models. It never worked right on my 09 CTS, so I think I went into the DIC and disabled it.
RainX ftw.

jwa999
06-01-11, 10:43 PM
no, no problems here. I see the rain sense message once when it's turned on, that's it. I also see it when i start the car and it's still selected.
Definitely cannot cannot call it normal every time the wipers wipe the message is repeated. It'd be infuriated.
Calling something like that normal is a very poor excuse why they can't figure it out.

Domsz06
06-01-11, 10:46 PM
I thought I read rainsense is returning to 2012 models. It never worked right on my 09 CTS, so I think I went into the DIC and disabled it.
RainX ftw.

never worked right? mine works amazing. Somewhere I read from MRieland that it was cuz the supplier went out of business.

OldRoadDawg
06-01-11, 10:47 PM
no, no problems here. I see the rain sense message once when it's turned on, that's it. I also see it when i start the car and it's still selected.
Definitely cannot cannot call it normal every time the wipers wipe the message is repeated. It'd be infuriated.
Calling something like that normal is a very poor excuse why they can't figure it out.
^^^ x2

Domsz06
06-01-11, 10:49 PM
RainX ftw.

For some reason my search isn't working, maybe you can find that thread.....

RapidRob
06-02-11, 12:04 AM

X3 - No problem with mine ...

Rob

JimmyH
06-02-11, 01:53 AM
For some reason my search isn't working, maybe you can find that thread.....

lulz, I did look. I couldn't find it. Sal posted a thread on it in the CTS forum, but the info he linked to is gone now. I couldn't find the other thread that I think was in this forum.

And I should qualify that the rainsense didn't work for me. They did work. But I was not satisfied with their reaction time. Besides, with rainx, I rarely have to use the wipers. Everyone should apply rainx. I can't live without it.

mannyz
06-02-11, 05:20 AM
This started with my 09V after I got my car tuned. Before it would never do it. Its pretty obvious when it switches from the speedo to message which makes it even more annoying.

sshinstrom
06-02-11, 11:52 AM
Thanks All,

It did it once before and was even worse because the 1st time this happened when you would accelerate the wipers would jump to their fastest setting, the message would display and it could be on a totally dry windshield. The dealer replaced a year ago and now are getting that rediculous response from GM that this is normal.

(Maybe they don't have any replacment parts any longer and don't have a fix if the supplier went T.U.?)

I will press the issue as I know how it worked, then did this, was fixed, worked fine and now is doing it again.

Normal has to be the message flashes when turned on to position #1 the initial time or when you start your car if left on... Period. Not every time the wipers are active. Funny thing too is if you are stopped at a stop light and they wipe the message doesn't flash. Only when moving. Took a video with my iPhone to prove and show them... Made my case easy...

Now I will wait to hear back from them.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Steve

Domsz06
06-02-11, 12:45 PM
lulz, I did look. I couldn't find it. Sal posted a thread on it in the CTS forum, but the info he linked to is gone now. I couldn't find the other thread that I think was in this forum.

And I should qualify that the rainsense didn't work for me. They did work. But I was not satisfied with their reaction time. Besides, with rainx, I rarely have to use the wipers. Everyone should apply rainx. I can't live without it.

Thanks for looking. Yeah I have rainx on mine and I too hardly use the wipers, but when it really rains here in htown I can't see the end of my hood and then I need it. They work great for light sprinkles as they only clear it when it gets pretty full, and with rainx that hardly happens. So far I have been thourghly impressed. Works much better then my Audi S5 did.

tedcmiller
06-03-11, 04:05 PM
I have a 2009 CTS-V and my rainsense wipers work fine. The message saying the rainsense wiper are on is displayed once when I push the stalk up and the setting is what I left it on before. Or, the message is displayed once when I start the car if the stalk is already up. It never displays more than once. It should be noted that the setting, if the rainsense function is used, is for the amount of water on the sensor required to activate the wipers - not the delay between wipes, as is the case when the rainsense feature is not used.

As several posters have indicated, the feature was removed for at least one model year but was reinstated for the 2012 model year.

sshinstrom
06-03-11, 04:10 PM
Thanks that is what it did when I first got the car and after the first replacment. Now my fear is the supplier is gone and not sure if they have this part any more. Will be even worse 5 to 10 yrs from now... Hopefully they will realize it is defective and replace again and 3rd time is a charm. Appreciate all the feedback. It heads in on Tuesday.