: Riddle me this

lincolncadillac
06-01-11, 07:29 PM
Well i just set an appointment (its a hour and a half from me) to go look at a 1986 Brougham i found on craigslist for 800.00.

I noticed in the picture that it is missing a small body peice on the front panel near the bumper. And i have looked on the net and found several pictures with that body part missing, is this common and is it hard to repair?

sven914
06-01-11, 07:45 PM
They're cheap pieces of plastic and they fall off all the time...

77CDV
06-01-11, 08:12 PM
Bumper fillers. The originals are polyurethane. They harden and crack over time. Very common to find them missing on 77-92 RWD Cads.

sven914
06-01-11, 08:39 PM
Polyurethane≈cheap plastic.

cadillac kevin
06-01-11, 08:49 PM
mine completely disintegrated in a period of about 1 year. now I've only got 1/2 of 1 tailfin left- and all of them were there when I bought the car. its incredibly common to finde them missing.
as for replacement, front ones are pretty easy/ theres an l shaped bracked that hold them on. you must also remove the piece pf chrome molding and half the screws on the wheel well trim to be able to replace it. its not hard to remove or replace them
as for the rear fillers, they're a bit more time consuming and require 2 people (to remove the rear bumper) still not very hard. I'd say the job of replacing fillers can be done in an afternoon or less (not including painting time).

MudAnt
06-02-11, 11:45 AM
If you live in an area where there's lots of sun, you probably won't find replacements locally (all the cars in the junkyards will have them missing as well). There's a company that makes them out of fiberglass, but they're fairly expensive.
There's a yard near me that gets 80's Broughams in once in a while, and they always have fillers on them. If you buy that car and need fillers for it, I can ship you a set of fillers.

The-Dullahan
06-02-11, 12:13 PM
Funny, I was talking about this last night with Sting. How long before someone realizes that for the prices online vendors charge, they can fabricate sheet metal replacements?

Well, that depends on how long before mine supposedly disintegrate.

outsider
06-02-11, 12:25 PM
if I ever paint my 87 again I wanna fill in the gaps between the fillers and the body pieces. Someone on here did that and it looked amazing. :D

lincolncadillac
06-02-11, 07:36 PM
If you live in an area where there's lots of sun, you probably won't find replacements locally (all the cars in the junkyards will have them missing as well). There's a company that makes them out of fiberglass, but they're fairly expensive.
There's a yard near me that gets 80's Broughams in once in a while, and they always have fillers on them. If you buy that car and need fillers for it, I can ship you a set of fillers.

Thanks, i will let you know tomorrow

jayoldschool
06-02-11, 07:42 PM
Metal ones already exist. There is a guy over on layitlow doing them. They are hand-fabbed, and expensive.

Funny, I was talking about this last night with Sting. How long before someone realizes that for the prices online vendors charge, they can fabricate sheet metal replacements?

Well, that depends on how long before mine supposedly disintegrate.

MudAnt
06-03-11, 12:11 AM
Thanks, i will let you know tomorrow

Actually, what I meant was I can ship you some as soon as I get some. The yard has 2 80's Broughams right now that I've already taken the fillers from. Most of them are sold, but I still have a few left here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/207821-official-parts-sale-wanted-thread-19.html#post2604196