: Issues with Black Diamond Editions?

keithsm2
06-01-11, 02:30 PM
I want to get my 2012 V ordered soon and in a real dilema over color and 2 door vs 4door...

Has anyone had any issues with the Black diamond paint?? Does it show swirl marks as bad as black.??? or any other issues??

THanks

Keith

Domsz06
06-01-11, 02:46 PM
there havent' been too many out that have posted on this forum. None of the paint from GM has been top notch, but it's not bad. Hopefully the few members on here will chime in.

LFTW8S
06-01-11, 02:54 PM
I want to get my 2012 V ordered soon and in a real dilema over color and 2 door vs 4door...

Has anyone had any issues with the Black diamond paint?? Does it show swirl marks as bad as black.??? or any other issues??

THanks

Keith

Just went from a 2010 blk sedan to 2011 Blk Dia. Sedan. Pros I have noticed:

Hides dirt better than black
Hides the 3M front clear wrap REALLY well (you could see it on my blk car)
Only washed a few times but the flake should hide the swirls

kirbyCTSV
06-01-11, 02:55 PM
I checked out Josh's black diamond...its nice...LOT more metallic than the other paints. I agree our paint isnt top notch (esp for charging $995). They really shouldnt be charging extra for it...its acceptable at best.

Domsz06
06-01-11, 03:04 PM
Just went from a 2010 blk sedan to 2011 Blk Dia. Sedan. Pros I have noticed:

Hides dirt better than black
Hides the 3M front clear wrap REALLY well (you could see it on my blk car)
Only washed a few times but the flake should hide the swirls

It does hide dirt better? after hearing that I want to see one in person.

Fireverm
06-01-11, 03:12 PM
It does hide dirt better? after hearing that I want to see one in person.

If you want to see a dirty Black diamond, just look at my blacked out pictures again. The car was dirty as **** cause I wanted to give the paint more time to cure before I first washed it. I've been working a ton so it's still not washed :(

I've only had the car for 3 weeks so I'm not sure how the paint holds up yet.

GM-4-LIFE
06-01-11, 03:26 PM
I got the first black diamond edition CTS-V coupe GM built for retail sale and it was built on February 9. I have had it since March 1 and so far, it hides dirt better than black, you can't see swirl marks on it like regular black and it looks way better than black overall.

I would highly recommend it. I get nothing but compliments on my car, everywhere I go!

hulksdaddy
06-01-11, 03:46 PM
Only problem with BD that I've seen is that on a cloudy day, the car looks like it's covered in pollen.

PremierJosh
06-01-11, 03:48 PM
I really like mine. Dust blends in with the flake and it looks great clean in the sun. My only concern is if I even have to get a panel painted.

urnodaisy
06-01-11, 04:27 PM
I asked myself the same question when trying to decide on sedan or coupe. Are you looking for sporty or practicality? I came to the conclusion that I very rarely have more than 2 people in my vehicle at any given time so I went with the coupe. I'd say if you spend 75% of your time with < 2 people in your car go with the coupe, otherwise, the sedan may be more practical. Not-to-mention I have a SUV if I need to pack the people in. ;)

keithsm2
06-01-11, 04:55 PM
ya...i have an expedition if i need to haul stuff and people......Just seems the looks of the coupe is polarizing..I like the wide stance.....Not a fan of not being able to open the sun roof....and the exhaust coming out the middle....
also like it being a little lower

ChicagoV
06-01-11, 06:28 PM
I agree that my black diamond seems to hide light, normal dirt better than my black raven did. The overall quality of the paint application is no better than the black raven, in my opinion- that is my only disappointment. I was hoping that the black diamond would have provided a smoother finish but it does not. My biggest concern was the repaint in the event of damage. Dealer says that they have supplies of the special paint standing by and that the paint shop has been trained in how to apply it- I do not have a whole lot of confidence in that statement, as it was pre-commitment- kinda like the things the we say to females pre-bed- but I also hope that I do not have the opportunity to find out.

jamesdean65
06-01-11, 06:34 PM
I have had no issues with the bd.

mother
06-02-11, 08:12 AM
Just seems the looks of the coupe is polarizing..I like the wide stance.....Not a fan of not being able to open the sun roof....and the exhaust coming out the middle....

Yeah, honestly either you LOVE the coupe's looks or you're not a fan. Coupes have a bunch of downsides when compared to the sedan, and it's no smaller/lighter/faster- all you are doing is making the car less practical. Not that any of us buy these cars for practicality...

So I think the coupe/sedan decision is usually pretty easy for people. Either you love the coupes looks and there is no question, or you buy a sedan!

I think the BD issue is also easily resolved- it can't possibly be worse than black raven for showing EVERYTHING. It is insanely metallic and should hide stuff pretty well. Do you like it? Do you like the yellow calipers and black rims? Then it's a no brainer. (I mean you were getting Recaro's already, right?) If it's just the paint, well then the 'do you like it' is all that matters- +/- $995 shouldn't make or break any decision for you!

[In my case I went the other direction and accepted an extra few pounds for what I saw as a much rarer and IMHO better looking vehicle. I already hate myself for being weak and getting black though. Can't even spritz the windows without needing a rewash!]

Vrocks
06-02-11, 01:42 PM
The black diamond definitely hides swirls and dirt a lot better than black. The black wheels are also good at hiding dirt - they just look a little brown when they're covered in brake dust.

GM-4-LIFE
06-02-11, 06:26 PM
There is no upcharge for the Black Diamond paint by the way. Many think there is, but there isn't.

M5eater
06-02-11, 09:52 PM
problems like.... this? my passenger side door hinge is also like this btw.

Wannago
06-02-11, 10:50 PM
Another thing to consider, and it isn't an actual problem with the quality of the finish itself (although it will likely only be an issue for a very select few), is that I suspect the BD paint may be much more reflective to police Radar and Lidar than regular paint.

I've installed a Laser Interceptor laser jammer and a Beltronics STi-R Plus remote mount radar detector in my V. I removed my front bumper cover and mounted the radar detector's antenna behind the bumper cover (radar waves pass right through regular paint and the bumper material). It works very well and is completely invisible.

When installing it, I remember thinking to myself how glad I was that I didn't have the BD paint, as it very likely would have had a huge impact on the abilty of my antenna to receive the incoming radar waves from behind the bumper, and would have resulted in a more obtrusive mounting location.

As well, black cars are generally the hardest color for police Lidar to get a readout from, but I suspect the BD paint will reflect the laser nicely.

But, if you don't ever speed and/or will have no desire in mounting a radar detector antenna behind your bumper....then please disregard this entire post.

:)