: Ultraview sunroof rattles and groans

dpchamp87
06-01-11, 01:51 PM
I just spend a while going over all the posts I could find on this subject but I could not find any post where this problem was solved. I took my 2010 sedan in last week try to have them cure the problem but it is no better after the service visit. I am debating whether to take it back or just live with it. Lets hear some success stories.

Love the car; hate the dame rattle!

js615
06-01-11, 01:59 PM
I talked with my service director here in KC and he said pretty much every CTS is doing it, V or not - and even the brand new ones. Sadly - there is unlikely to be a permenant fix as the TSB seems to be only a temp fix, some lasting longer than others. After reading posts on the topic, I'm sticking with the most successful solution yet - turn up the radio. I reccomend Sammy Hagar.

J.

Ross L
06-01-11, 02:03 PM
Pull trim ring( just grab it and pull it out). If the noise it gone, apply tape( I used electrical) to mounting tabs on trim and snap it back into place. Cured mine over a year ago. Never made a noise since. The dash creak is another story.

cdog533
06-01-11, 02:11 PM
I put some thick silicone (I think it was tire dressing) all along the seals of the back piece of the ultraview. That seemed to quiet it right down. I got it in the crease pretty good...

hulksdaddy
06-01-11, 03:51 PM
...I got it in the crease pretty good...

:shhh: :histeric:

tbss08
06-01-11, 05:04 PM
It might just not be the ultraview. The first time my car was in they took the sunroof out and finally located the noise above the right rear door. Faulty welds. It lasted two whole days of being quite before it was snapping and cracking to the point I thought the glass was going to crack.
The second extended time in the shop three days later and the snap crackle pop is back. Yesterday morning I almost jumped out of the car the snap was that loud. I turned coming out of our development onto the main county road and the snap started traveling from the rear door area to the front door in loud rapid succession.
Still waiting on customer service to see what is the next plan of attack is going to be.
Good luck on the noise, tell the dealership to pull the door seal on the right rear door, tape the area with some tape to protect the paint and start attaching vise grips to isolate noise in the area.

SleepTight
06-01-11, 09:44 PM
My repair of my Ultraview lasted a week. The rattles and groans are back. It's definitely detracting from my enjoyment of the car. I'm going to go back to the dealer again next week when I've got some time.

js615
06-02-11, 10:21 AM
My repair of my Ultraview lasted a week. The rattles and groans are back.

Was your first fix done by the dealer according to the TSB or did you try something else?

MrMaschine
06-03-11, 12:09 AM
Mine was in for repair 6 times and nothing ever got better, my entire interior rattles just as much as my old 55 bel air, its horrible for a new car, my doors rattle bad with bass from the Bose, the roof, rear parcel shelf, my seats rock back and forth

the car is great but the interior build just SUCKS. I am beyond pissed at the car, dealers support and GM overall support to customer concerns, they say its operating as designed WTF

baabootoo
06-03-11, 12:18 AM
I just dropped mine off today for leaks. I'll update here when it's done.

sharky1
06-03-11, 09:00 PM
ive had the trim tape and the seals greased, does'nt do anything...id pay good money for someone to figure out what is popping, im not wasting my time with the dealer anymore....im thinking of having it pulled and a steel roof welded in..

markrn
06-03-11, 09:28 PM
I just dropped mine off today for leaks. I'll update here when it's done.

Out doing some detail on the inside and found a small water stain left rear drivers door, seem like it in the usual place for the leaks, mine is a 10/10 build. Look forward to what your repair process is!

baabootoo
06-04-11, 12:30 AM
Well, they called and said they sealed the leak, and noises, BUT..........they can't get the roof buttons to work so they're trying to figure that out now!

markrn
06-04-11, 09:40 AM
Well, they called and said they sealed the leak, and noises, BUT..........they can't get the roof buttons to work so they're trying to figure that out now!

Did they put a new headliner in ?

SleepTight
06-04-11, 11:42 AM
Was your first fix done by the dealer according to the TSB or did you try something else?

So far as I know, there is no actual TSB on the Ultraview (presumably because they don't know how to fix it). It's just a well known problem with our cars.

The Service receipt shows
SUNROOF SEALS MAKING NOISE REMOVE REAR SUN ROOF GLASS LUBE GLASS SEAL AS PER PI REINSTALL AND ROAD TEST

C'mon GM, provide a fix for this thing! This problem would be unacceptable in a Toyota Yaris, let alone a $70,000 sedan.:mad:

dqw1
06-04-11, 01:25 PM
I hate to sound like a whiner but my interior also sounds like crap, especially since it's hot again. I really wish they would come up with a fix for at least the Ultra-view.

baabootoo
06-04-11, 01:33 PM
Did they put a new headliner in ?

I don't know yet. I got a call this morning and said it will be at least Monday now. I'm just trying to figure out what to demand for their mess-up and my inconvenience. Free popcorn and sode the rest of my life?????????? :)

markrn
06-04-11, 01:56 PM
I don't know yet. I got a call this morning and said it will be at least Monday now. I'm just trying to figure out what to demand for their mess-up and my inconvenience. Free popcorn and sode the rest of my life?????????? :)

Hopefully they haven't screwed it up to bad!

JOEYCTS-V
06-04-11, 02:06 PM
Since we're on the topic of sunroof complaints, is there a reason why it only opens 90% and I have to hit the button again for it to open all the way?

tbss08
06-04-11, 02:40 PM
With all the complaints on the noises in the roofs you think GM would be more proactive in fixing the noises in our roofs.
Like I have said before, they pulled the sunroof on mine and found out it is not the sunroof but the roof itself. On the latest receipt it specifically calls out "BODY FLEX" issues. I am waiting to hear something back again from the customer service rep because my wonderful Area Rep is a complete, well I won't use those words here. Let us just say I've been promised the moon but have only had that nice little smoke blown up somewhere in the past year.
My roof snapped so loud the other morning I thought something broke, it scared the hell out of me as I turned a corner.

I've got a deadline set if I don't hear something the NHTSA will get a formal complaint along with documentation of the condition of the car. Maybe then GM will get off there duffs and fix these cars. I for one did not like the fact my $70K sedans roof had broken welds and needed to be welded with never being in an accident, never having anything done to it until the roof issues. UGH, my 96 Impala and 94 Suburban have quieter interiors than this Cadillac.
For those of you who say "Turn up the radio" so we don't hear the noises, mine are so loud they drown out the radio.
Next week I'll post up some audio on YouTube for all to hear.

markrn
06-04-11, 06:17 PM
With all the complaints on the noises in the roofs you think GM would be more proactive in fixing the noises in our roofs.
Like I have said before, they pulled the sunroof on mine and found out it is not the sunroof but the roof itself. On the latest receipt it specifically calls out "BODY FLEX" issues. I am waiting to hear something back again from the customer service rep because my wonderful Area Rep is a complete, well I won't use those words here. Let us just say I've been promised the moon but have only had that nice little smoke blown up somewhere in the past year.
My roof snapped so loud the other morning I thought something broke, it scared the hell out of me as I turned a corner.

I've got a deadline set if I don't hear something the NHTSA will get a formal complaint along with documentation of the condition of the car. Maybe then GM will get off there duffs and fix these cars. I for one did not like the fact my $70K sedans roof had broken welds and needed to be welded with never being in an accident, never having anything done to it until the roof issues. UGH, my 96 Impala and 94 Suburban have quieter interiors than this Cadillac.
For those of you who say "Turn up the radio" so we don't hear the noises, mine are so loud they drown out the radio.
Next week I'll post up some audio on YouTube for all to hear.

I don't have any squeaks, pops or groans, but i'm just dreading that when i take it in for the leak that it won't come back to me thay way, but i guess not much choice in the matter :(

sharky1
06-04-11, 09:51 PM
im convinced it is body flex...i think the only thing to do is take it to a body shop and see if they can do something...

JOEYCTS-V
06-04-11, 11:08 PM
Body flex does make sense. Why GM decided to put such a huge opening in this car is beyond me. There is very little roof on these cars; it's all sunroof.

SleepTight
06-05-11, 09:54 AM
Body flex does make sense. Why GM decided to put such a huge opening in this car is beyond me. There is very little roof on these cars; it's all sunroof.

The only problem with that theory is that a search of the plain-vanilla CTS forums and the SRX forums in Cadillac Owners.com doesn't produce any threads complaining of rattles and groans from the Ultraview despite the option being available on both cars.

Those of us who paid twice as much for our cars appear to be the only ones so privileged.

Edit Hmm, ran across this website describing Ultraview problems and fixes in the SRX (http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2008/01/srx-ultraview-sunroof-service-tips.html):

Noises

Customers may experience creaking or snapping noises from various parts of the roof. Noises typically occur when a torsional load is applied to the vehicle body (driving on rough roads, when turning, or when going up a driveway).

Some causes of sunroof noises:

- Sunroof module or glass panel fasteners may be loose. The specified clamp load is low and must be maintained. Also be careful not to overtorque. See the over-torque tip earler.

- Sunroof frame alignment pins may contact the roof sheet metal. Refer to bulletin
06-08-67-012B for details (fig. 12 and 13).

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/january_08_techlink_fig12.jpg
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/january_08_techlink_fig13.jpg

- Rear roof rail air bag fastener may contact the side door ring sheet metal (fig. 14). Refer to PIC4359A for details of the condition and repairs.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/january_08_techlink_fig14.jpg

- The sunroof module fasteners may contact the sunroof SMC frame, creating a noise.
See PIC4359A for details.

- The copper drive cable tube may contact the SMC frame or a tie strap may contact the SMC. Isolate both contact areas with flocking tape (fig. 15).
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/january_08_techlink_fig15.jpg

A - Flocking tape at drive tube

B - Flocking tape at tie strap

- Conditions of wind noise at the leading edge of the glass may be corrected by following the procedures in bulletin 07-08-58-002.

09V
06-05-11, 12:02 PM
For those that have not heard too much from standard CTS models having this problem, perhaps the owners can't hear it, but when I get loaners they are usually a CTS with/without roof. The ones with the ultraview all make the noises expressed here in this thread. The ones w/o the ultraview-- quiet as can be. I think the ultraview in conjunction with the stiffer suspension contributes to the body flex. It is definitely the roof contributing making other structural points in the car weak. Fortunately after several attempts to quiet mine down and they were unsuccessful, I went with the headers, exhaust, and big cam to help drown some of the noise out. My car isn't to the level of others who have posted, but still very disappointing. I hope they can remedy this, but I expect they will do nothing as they have done for nearly 3 years since the release of the 09s. Good luck for those still pursuing a repair.

tbss08
06-05-11, 12:32 PM
I really feel on top of all it is Body Flex. A few things are not in our favor when dealing with the Flex. Torque from the drivetrain on a uni-body car, area of the roof minus the glass, stiffer suspension and higher weight.

This still does not explain how the roof above the right rear door could have broken welds from the factory. I'm still waiting until Monday to hear what GM has to say. I'm not very confident in what I will hear so it is off to the NHTSA website to download and start filling out a SAFETY form.

dpchamp87
06-05-11, 04:39 PM
So I tried the silicone "in the crease" and also removed the trim ring. Same rattles.

Not sure what to do next as it seems the dealers do not have a fix.

Grrrrrr

baabootoo
06-06-11, 03:23 PM
I got it back all fixed; so far. They did an R&R on the sunroof hardware, replaced the drain hoses, and cleaned it very well!

hulksdaddy
06-06-11, 04:25 PM
I got it back all fixed; so far. They did an R&R on the sunroof hardware, replaced the drain hoses, and cleaned it very well!

Congrats bro! Hope it stays that way. :cool2:

SleepTight
06-06-11, 04:38 PM
Congrats bro! Hope it stays that way. :cool2:

Don't want to jinx you but mine was good for a few days as well. Then the rattles came back worse than ever.

dpchamp87
06-29-11, 04:06 PM
So one visit to the dealer later and it still rattles and groans. They put the tape on the trim ring but even if I remove the trim ring it still rattles. I have it booked in for the second visit and they say they will keep working until it is quiet. I guess I will just just have to buy one without a sun roof if they can't cure it!

sharky1
06-29-11, 05:59 PM
I feel the same way...they should give us a major break on price

SleepTight
06-29-11, 07:49 PM
Mine's back after visit number 2 to the dealer for Ultraview rattles. Complete trim replacement. It was quiet for a week and a half, but it's starting to rattle again. It's tolerable now, but experience tells me it will get worse. Service at North Bay has been great, but who wants to leave their car for the day while the mechanic applies a fix that everyone knows will only be temporary? Apropos of nothing in particular, have you seen the new M5? :stirpot:

dpchamp87
07-17-11, 05:53 PM
Update. Car went to Greenwich Cadi/Saab to fix the rattles (twice). First visit (tape on the ring and lube seals) was a waste of time but I got the car back on Saturday and so far it is quiet. Time will tell I guess ...

BigJoeD
07-17-11, 07:27 PM
Its my only complaint is the sunroof. I think i'll be taking mine in sometime soon. At this point its not annoying. Only rattles when I leave my driveway.

baabootoo
07-18-11, 12:17 AM
I had mine down a month or so ago, at "Level 2"; where they replaced a lot of parts. So far, no leaks OR squeaks.

commander112
07-18-11, 08:50 AM
Mine has been in for this issue a couple of times. It is now much better than it was before but not perfect. I can live with it at least. Stay with it and good luck.

dpchamp87
07-19-11, 09:36 AM
Update after 2nd visit. Rattle is almost gone but what they did is to add foam insulation under the headliner/trim to muffle the rattle! However it has worked pretty well (for now) and you really have to put your ear next to the c pilllar to hear anything.

Cub Cadet
07-19-11, 10:27 AM
Wow - I have never had this sunroof noise in any CTS w/ ultraview. It will occasionally make a sound when turning tight and going over an angled surface, but that is just normal body twist/flex. No other issues in normal operation. I actually love the ultraview roof and would buy that option all over again if I had to get another car.

RapidRob
07-19-11, 06:28 PM
Wow - I have never had this sunroof noise in any CTS w/ ultraview. It will occasionally make a sound when turning tight and going over an angled surface, but that is just normal body twist/flex. No other issues in normal operation. I actually love the ultraview roof and would buy that option all over again if I had to get another car.

+1 here ...

Rob

1Sensei
08-21-11, 02:03 AM
So it is better to stay away from the ultraview from what I am reading? Oh, I am in the market 4 one

CTSVKINGWAGON
08-21-11, 02:29 PM
Since we're on the topic of sunroof complaints, is there a reason why it only opens 90% and I have to hit the button again for it to open all the way?
It reduces wind noise when it is only 90% vs. 100.

dpchamp87
10-05-11, 03:06 PM
Rattles and groans are back worse than ever. Its booked in again next week. 3rd time lucky??

MrMaschine
10-05-11, 11:51 PM
Rattles and groans are back worse than ever. Its booked in again next week. 3rd time lucky??

PM sent we are quote local to one another.

zinner
10-06-11, 02:46 PM
Every "ultraview" sun roof in every Cadillac has the same complaint.

smackdownCTSV
10-06-11, 04:30 PM
Let us know what the dealer says about making a 3rd visit for the same problem. That's usually where lemon laws come in. Fortunately, mine has been squeak free after the TSB.

Luna.
10-06-11, 05:15 PM
I really feel on top of all it is Body Flex. A few things are not in our favor when dealing with the Flex. Torque from the drivetrain on a uni-body car, area of the roof minus the glass, stiffer suspension and higher weight.

This still does not explain how the roof above the right rear door could have broken welds from the factory. I'm still waiting until Monday to hear what GM has to say. I'm not very confident in what I will hear so it is off to the NHTSA website to download and start filling out a SAFETY form.

:yeah:

dpchamp87
10-24-11, 05:54 PM
Maybe third time lucky. It is over 2 weeks now since I got the car back form Cadi of Greenwich and it is still quiet and rattle/groan free. Invoice says "B2724 insulate sunroof headliner trim and frame, lube sunroof glass". I hope this cures it for good. Love the car again now.

e6t
10-24-11, 08:46 PM
my buddy just had all sort of stuff done to his. after it settles in, i'll let you all know how it came out and what all was done.

jrybacek
10-17-12, 03:45 PM
Any updates from people? I also have rattles from the sunroof region of the vehicle. I have taken it in about 8 times now, the regional representative took a look at it and heard the same issue, but the problem still exists. Service is stumped and has only created more rattles in the vehicle. The vehicle headliner is starting to shred since they have been in there so much. I really wish Cadillac would provide some sort of resolution.

CTS-V 2010 with 16k miles on it. I dislike these problems with the car so much, its making me wish I never purchased this vehicle.

sharky1
10-17-12, 09:04 PM
I took my trim ring off, now I have no noise

dennych
10-17-12, 09:09 PM
CTS-V 2010 with 16k miles on it. I dislike these problems with the car so much, its making me wish I never purchased this vehicle.

Wow that's harsh. Makes it worse it's almost impossible to find one without a sunroof (Wagon)

jrybacek
10-18-12, 08:33 AM
Is that meant to come off, or did you have to cut it off? Mine sounds like its off to once side, above the rear passenger handle, but not the handle itself.

blacaddy
10-18-12, 09:27 AM
Any updates from people? I also have rattles from the sunroof region of the vehicle. I have taken it in about 8 times now, the regional representative took a look at it and heard the same issue, but the problem still exists. Service is stumped and has only created more rattles in the vehicle. The vehicle headliner is starting to shred since they have been in there so much. I really wish Cadillac would provide some sort of resolution.

Check out the many posts regarding squeaky/rattling sunroofs posted on the 2009+CTS forum....there are several listed successes of members fixing their sunroofs...Tinman did a solid post about leaks and rattles ....I was able to stop mine from rattling and squeaking using this information, patience, a socket and about 15minutes....hope love your car again after you desqueak the sunroof

smashn808
04-08-13, 01:51 AM
Having the same issue. More wind noise than anything though. Sounds like the roof is open somewhere. Anyone have this issue? Can someone please post the ultraview TSB?

DCV
04-08-13, 02:30 PM
I get some wind noise in mine that I can't figure out where it's coming from.