: No problems

Sandy
10-13-04, 08:31 PM
In other forums on here, I read of many owners with great troubles with almost new cars. I fear that they will jump ship over to a "foreigner" brand, next time.

I have 5,500 miles and it's 17 months old, and I have experienced not a single problem, nor need for any minor adjustments, other than a hood that was hard to close. Dealer adjusted lock while I waited, in about 20 minutes. At 3,000 miles had free oil change, filter, lube & tire rotation.

Adam
10-13-04, 08:40 PM
what car is this youre talking about?

majax
10-13-04, 08:43 PM
I know you have a Town Car, are you just taking about them?

Sandy
10-13-04, 09:18 PM
I only have one new car.
http://mark8.org/users/johnaec/greenKIN.jpg
My Caddy is now 12 years "old" (9,980 miles old) ;)

majax
10-13-04, 10:18 PM
I figured.

I thought town cars were sorta reliable cause they kinda come off the Crown Vics which have been around for ever. Also It got some reliability award. Don't worry if yours is fine then why should you worry about others that brake. Maybe you got the luck of the draw ;)

If Lincold does not work for them they usually try cadi but I hate it how people stereotype all american cars after owning a bad one. Example thier ford van dies at 60,000 and then they sware they will never buy GM or Ford again let alone anything made in America.

Adam
10-13-04, 10:38 PM
nice car man. im looking into getting a 98 or 99 Town Car. next spring hopefully, unless i find a 2000 Deville DHS in my price range.

Sandy
10-13-04, 11:32 PM
Like anyone or anything, they both have their strong points. I had a 2003 DHS de Ville for about 3 hours. Advantage: Power & Accleration. I would never race one with my T.C. Another advantage is the Caddy's resale. Not so good if buying used, pretty decent if you bought new. Another Caddy advantage is that GM seems (my personal experience) to keep old parts longer than FoMoCo. With FoMoCo it's tough getting an appearance part after 3 years. We had a 1998 Mark 8 prior to the '03 T.C. In 2002 when the MK 8 was just 4 years old (barely) we needed a new door panel (driver's side). There was something wrong with our original in that the color (Camel Tan) wasn't applied properly, and was fast streaking and fading. Lincoln OKAYED a free new replacement under warrantee, HOWEVER there were none to be had. Upon ordering one, it came back NONE available!!! 3 years & 9 months, for a complete door pnael and NONE. Ford did a locate & found 1 left in America, in Cleveland, Ohio, and got the dealer there to ship it to us. It was perfect & our dealer installed it.
GM has parts for far longer.

I will not list what I feel are the advantages for the Lincoln, as it's not the diplomatic thing to do on a Caddy lovers board, and I am also a Caddy (and Imperial) lover, so I'll shut up now :canttalk:

barge master
10-14-04, 02:04 PM
I don't care how good they are, I can't bring myself to buy a foreign car. Just the thought of owning a FWD makes me cringe.
Ya know Sandy, the Imperial was one cool car. Back in 86 I had my hands on a 72. It was black with the hidden headlights. That was one evil looking car. It was also one of the most powerful cars I've ever driven, not to mention the biggest. It wasn't in too bad of shape either. With mixed emotions, I did what I intended to with it. Demolition Derby. That's one I wish I'd kept.

Ralph
10-14-04, 06:07 PM
Everyone in my family has always had an American car and had good luck with them! (esp. my stepdad) I've never had a "Japanese, German, etc. car and I doubt I would start now. I came close to a new Honda last year but THANK GOODNESS I came to my senses and didn't accept that offer! I would still be kicking myself if I sold it and could never replace it much like your 60 Sandy.

If anyone here thinks MB, or BMW, or even Toyota are better, I can post a number of websites proving otherwise and the most horrific problems seem to come from MB in the last few years. I did talk to my Acura dealer and I asked about any new TL recalls, and he said there weren't any yet! I know Japan can build good cars, but anything will break down in time or due to lack of proper maintenance IMO.

Sandy
10-14-04, 07:11 PM
The maintenance program on my Sixty Special is simple. Drive it 824 miles per year, only in sunny nice non-humid weather, dump oil & fuel filter & oil filter yearly, flush radiator every 3 to 4 years and NEVER EVER park it except in the garage. Wash it 2 x a year, wax it once, dress tires with Valvolene non-oil based dressing and wax with Souverne by Pinnacle. Keep under car cover when in garage, and start & run for 15 minutes in garage once a week from November thru first week April, using full tank of gas put in last week. Mobil Premium. 93 Oct. When driving those 824, do so in non congested areas in off hours. A favorite time is 7AM on Sunday!

majax
10-14-04, 07:26 PM
Do you get it out on the highway?

RBraczyk
10-14-04, 07:53 PM
I have an 18 year old craftsman lawnmower thats seen only one oil change. them riders last forever. And its hydromatic. Runs almost as good as teh day we bought it.

Sandy
10-14-04, 10:04 PM
Do you get it out on the highway?

I don't like the highway closest to my house. It's the Garden State Parkway. It goes from New York to Atlantic City, N.J. ~ During the week it's crowded with cars going to work & shoping & to the many colleges in NJ. From May thru September it's jammed with traffic heading to the NJ shore and Atlantic City. I take it to an "in town" 2 lane "highway" that has a speed limit of 50. It's 4 miles long, and I go from one end to the other, about 60 MPH and then I go back the other 4 miles & head home, which is 5 miles, so that's (in total) a 18 mile ride. Low traffic, and on Sunday AM around 7AM there are ALOT of special cars going back & forth & back & forth & back & forth. You see 55-57 T-Birds, the weekly Avanti, and lots of neat stuff. You do not see them NOW any longer....well, maybe 2 or 3, but back in August on any given Sunday at 7AM it was a virtual "moving" car show!!

majax
10-15-04, 10:12 AM
:coolgleam sweetness

In my town the great and beutifuly preserved cars never come out of their garages I sware there are some rare Cadis in this small town. Maybe that car show is just all the old people goin to church lol ;).

Sandy
10-15-04, 03:12 PM
No, it's all guys like 20 to 50 & 99% driving alone. We honk at 1 & other as we all know that we are all doing the same thing. 7AM, only nuts are out on a Sunday. I plan on doing it this Sunday, weather permitting, for the final time until next late April. I don't expect any record number. Many cars are allready tucked away. My Caddy is going to bed Sunday afternoon, after a damp towel wipe-down. She has a nice home, granted it's not heated and has no drapes or carpeting, but it's okay. Last year I had more spendable income, and I put her into HEATED, DEhumidified under 24 hour guard storage. THAT was $280.00 a month. This year she gets a rented garage that locks. That's about it. $125.00 a month. It's pretty clean, doesn't leak, locks and is not visable from the street, on a private residence property.
Last year in the Hilton, this year roughin' it !

majax
10-15-04, 08:36 PM
You wont put it in your garage? You can get a gas garage heater for about $500 I bet. We almost got a house with one, I wished so much for that place.

Sandy
10-15-04, 09:40 PM
My Town Car goes in one side of OUR garage, and my wife's Jeep Cherokee LTD goes in the other side. No more room. Gas heaters are dangerous, when un-attended, and it's got no electric over there to plug it into & I am sure the owner would never let me do that.

It's a big old renovated house out at the street. Behind it is a huge and very deep landscaped yard & garden, behind that a driveway and then a 10 car garage! They use one of the attached 10 for their Ford Escape. The other ten are rented to car buffs. They demand that all cars wear car covers and be backed in, facing out. I have seen only a couple of the other 8 that are there. I know that there's a Hemi Charger there...year unknown, and a very rare Monte Carlo Chevy, and a Buick GN-X and a 2000 Bentley Arnage, and soon my Caddy, and a 1970 de Ville Convertible. So, there are 3 that I haven't seen. They are segmented, so door dings are impossible. I will go over, weather permitting once a week & run her for 15 minutes, I will fill the gas tank on the way over there, & I have a nice fabric lined car cover.

majax
10-16-04, 12:08 AM
you're not going to have to wrory about it getting to cold will ya? I hear its going to be a mild winter which is exactly what I need. I can't get my(soon to be) DeVille in the garage this year cause my bros dead Nissan is in there and the STS will be there. Also last year my dad wrecked our Honda on the first snow, as long as there is no-little snow the DeVille will be okay. Of course that was his first wreck in 10 years.

I don't want to go have to start the car outside every hour(due to cold) but if I have to I will.

Would it be possible to affordably put a engine block heater on it?

D148L0
10-16-04, 12:12 AM
Sandy, come on.
No problems? Of course your cars don't give you problems... you treat them the way they deserve!
I bet more than once a girlfriend told you: "you love your car more than you love me!!!" Ha ha, I used to get that a lot...
Reading this thread has been great.
Maybe one of this weekends I could pay you a visit, make the 7 AM tour and have a good coffee after that. :coffee:

majax
10-16-04, 01:13 AM
I could drive over from Idaho, :nono:

to far lol, maybe on I90

Msilva954
10-16-04, 08:04 PM
Foriegn (european) cars are no more relieable then anything american.....shoot we have taken our BMW 325cic in more times in the 3yrs we have owned it then the mustang we own and the Tbird we owned before it...heck any car.

People who critisize american cas for their reliablility dont know what they are talking about, almost every car has one bad trait and there are lemons out there....but if you do go to a foriegn company like Merc or BMW;Audi be prepared to love the car but also be prepared to take it to the dealer and get stuck with a crappy cavalier all the time...

Myself, Ill probably never buy a euro car unless it is a classic such as a 635ciBMW or a 500SEC benz from the 80's.............

We just payed $2000 for another 4yrs and 50,000 miles warrenty for the BMW and believe me it will come in use......

Mom is looking at the new SLK350 to buy next after another 2-3 yrs with this car, and me and my father are trying to persuade her to definently look at the new Vette for the same money.......american may not be the best...but if you look around there is always a great car for anyone.