: A/C and seat cooler question

EVIL_C5
06-01-11, 11:02 AM
so with the heat at over 90 degrees the last couple of days, I was wondering if the V AC and seat coolers should be colder?

it takes several minutes for the car to cool off, and I can hardly notice the seat chillers on at all. my 2010 escalade will blow snow balls out of the vents in a very short time and feel the seat cooler quickly as well.

I dont really have a frame of reference of what is normal on a V2. our 06 CTS also cooled off really quick even in 100 degree weather.

Domsz06
06-01-11, 11:06 AM
I have noticed the same in my mom's 2009 escalade. Compared to our car's I can feel the air but it's not ice cold like the escalade. I think our car just has 2 fans in the seats that blow air. I wonder if the escalade actually has vents in that blow into it. I will say this, I can tell a huge difference when I drive my z06 which has none, so I know the seats in our cars are working. I wonder if you could tap into the floor vend under the drivers seat and point a draft upwards? I hardly have people in the back and the air is cold. If you don't have tint I will say tint helps a TON!

tedcmiller
06-01-11, 01:56 PM
The standard seats on the CTS-V are not cooled by forced air. The vent holes in the seat covers are for normal air flow (not forced).

LitiGATOR
06-01-11, 01:59 PM
I've used my seat coolers for the first time in the last couple weeks (Recaros) and they work great. This is my first vehicle with vented seats, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I'm happy.

EVIL_C5
06-01-11, 02:08 PM
I have noticed the same in my mom's 2009 escalade. Compared to our car's I can feel the air but it's not ice cold like the escalade. I think our car just has 2 fans in the seats that blow air. I wonder if the escalade actually has vents in that blow into it. I will say this, I can tell a huge difference when I drive my z06 which has none, so I know the seats in our cars are working. I wonder if you could tap into the floor vend under the drivers seat and point a draft upwards? I hardly have people in the back and the air is cold. If you don't have tint I will say tint helps a TON!

tint is a must.....had it done within the 1st few days.

The standard seats on the CTS-V are not cooled by forced air. The vent holes in the seat covers are for normal air flow (not forced).

I have recaro's

Domsz06
06-01-11, 02:09 PM

I know I have recaro's and was comparing them to the escalade.

I've used my seat coolers for the first time in the last couple weeks (Recaros) and they work great. This is my first vehicle with vented seats, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I'm happy.

I agree they work, but compared to the escalade they really suck. However when you compare them to none (denali I drove today doesn't have them) they work great. It's kind of a catch 22 lol. I love em in the v, however in the escalade they are simply amazing!!

elphil
06-01-11, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Domsz06;

I agree they work, but compared to the escalade they really suck.

They don't suck, they blow. :yup:

EVIL_C5
06-01-11, 02:39 PM
escalade, you hit the auto start before going outside, and in a couple of minutes, you are sitting in a deep freeze.... :)

Domsz06
06-01-11, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Domsz06;

I agree they work, but compared to the escalade they really suck.

They don't suck, they blow. :yup:

ha ha ha you got me there.

escalade, you hit the auto start before going outside, and in a couple of minutes, you are sitting in a deep freeze.... :)

yeah you do, it rocks when it's 105 outside, start it up and walk out and your seat freezes to you :) lol I DIG IT!!

Domsz06
06-01-11, 02:43 PM
finally found the thread with the pics.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/209254-recaro-racing-seats-cut-away-photo.html

you can see now why it doesn't look like it blows much.....

PremierJosh
06-01-11, 02:44 PM
I drove my old 09 yesterday and the seat ac works better on it than it does on my 11 for sure. On the 11 I can tell when they are on but in the 11 I can really feel it about twice as much. I have not had the seats on in a new escalade so I can't compare.

EVIL_C5
06-01-11, 02:48 PM
finally found the thread with the pics.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/209254-recaro-racing-seats-cut-away-photo.html

you can see now why it doesn't look like it blows much.....

dang interweb nazi's have the pictures blocked here at the rock pile.... :(

Domsz06
06-01-11, 03:09 PM
dang interweb nazi's have the pictures blocked here at the rock pile.... :(

is photobucket blocked at your work? I can copy and upload from there for ya.

hulksdaddy
06-01-11, 03:13 PM

Ditto.

serturbo
06-01-11, 04:26 PM
This is the first car I've had with ventilated seats and I can't feel a difference. My boss has a Volvo S80 and his ventilated seats are much better.

Junkie414
06-01-11, 06:30 PM
How hard is it to add these seats and controls easily possible in a car with base seats?

Domsz06
06-01-11, 10:51 PM
How hard is it to add these seats and controls easily possible in a car with base seats?

requires new seats (hard to find) and then the new temp control button assembly. It's different as that's were you turn on your cooled seats. Where your standard seats it's a blank right below the heater, we turn our cooled seats on there. Think that's all it requires.

everynow and then one turns up on ebay....

shade
06-01-11, 11:26 PM
Any vendor out there that can fit a larger condensor and make our AC better - I'll pony up $ big time.
Wife's tahoe makes me have blue balls in a matter of minutes. :)

Domsz06
06-02-11, 02:36 PM
Any vendor out there that can fit a larger condensor and make our AC better - I'll pony up $ big time.
Wife's tahoe makes me have blue balls in a matter of minutes. :)

u think that would help? Way back when I was told most car a/c units are powerful for a small house.... Just curious...

I know my car makes mine ice cold. I have to turn it up to 70 when it's 105 out. The tint helped astronomically. I know we don't hit 120 here like you guys do, but when it's 105 and 90% humiditity it's still flipping hot.

EVIL_C5
06-02-11, 03:05 PM
I have 20 percent on my windows and at 95-98 degrees like it was here the last few days with lots of humidity, my mothers kia rental car had better A/C.....maybe I need to get mine checked....

NOLA-ZR1
06-02-11, 03:51 PM
Not to set off anyone. But if you turn on the empty seat. It does blow pretty well.

I noticed this when I reached over to the right for something and felt the air hit my left hand. So maybe A$$ size is a factor. LOL

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:10 PM
I have 20 percent on my windows and at 95-98 degrees like it was here the last few days with lots of humidity, my mothers kia rental car had better A/C.....maybe I need to get mine checked....

I have 10% pinacle, so it's that ceramic type. Mine will freeze me out and your talking about someone that wears shorts 365 days a year, even when I lived in Oklahoma....

My wife calls me her "personal heater" as i'm always hot.

So yeah evil I'd get yours checked. Something seems fishy. I can even freeze myself out if I leave it outside in the sun all day too... (I'm lucky enough to park in a garage during work days)

shade
06-02-11, 04:10 PM
u think that would help? Way back when I was told most car a/c units are powerful for a small house.... Just curious...

I know my car makes mine ice cold. I have to turn it up to 70 when it's 105 out. The tint helped astronomically. I know we don't hit 120 here like you guys do, but when it's 105 and 90% humiditity it's still flipping hot.

It will get decently cold but for us in super hot climates it takes awhile. This is due to the lack of being able to shed the heat which is done via the condensor. Condensor on our car is puny
I have 5% tint all around and am going to look at putting that UV clear film on the windshield to see if that helps.

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:11 PM
Not to set off anyone. But if you turn on the empty seat. It does blow pretty well.

I noticed this when I reached over to the right for something and felt the air hit my left hand. So maybe A$$ size is a factor. LOL

I wonder if due to the palcement you actually sit on the fan and therefore it kills some of the "flow"

Domsz06
06-02-11, 04:12 PM
It will get decently cold but for us in super hot climates it takes awhile. This is due to the lack of being able to shed the heat which is done via the condensor. Condensor on our car is puny
I have 5% tint all around and am going to look at putting that UV clear film on the windshield to see if that helps.

yes I agree with you. I Know your and phx are some of the few that live in a hotter climate then myself. Perhaps the solution would be to put a bigger condensor in?

03Z06Vette
06-02-11, 05:09 PM
My A/C works great in my V. The seat coolers, not as well as the wife's Escalade, as mentioned before. However, the A/C and the seat cooler/fans work way better than the ones that I had in my E63. The Germans just don't do cooling very well. :D

mrl859
06-03-11, 03:13 AM
Wife's tahoe makes me have blue balls in a matter of minutes.
u think that would help?It might help, but it's so dang uncomfortable.

EVIL_C5
06-03-11, 08:14 AM
I have 10% pinacle, so it's that ceramic type. Mine will freeze me out and your talking about someone that wears shorts 365 days a year, even when I lived in Oklahoma....

My wife calls me her "personal heater" as i'm always hot.

So yeah evil I'd get yours checked. Something seems fishy. I can even freeze myself out if I leave it outside in the sun all day too... (I'm lucky enough to park in a garage during work days)

thats what I was afraid of.... :(

Q8 6.2
06-03-11, 09:44 AM
A old trick to make AC colder is to cut the hot water hose that is going into passenger compartment for the heater and block it off at water pump or just do what i did just cut both hoses and connect one hose to the other one going out of dashboard so what you are doing is making a loop inside the engin compartment and not letting the hot water cerculate inside the dash

EVIL_C5
06-03-11, 10:15 AM
A old trick to make AC colder is to cut the hot water hose that is going into passenger compartment for the heater and block it off at water pump or just do what i did just cut both hoses and connect one hose to the other one going out of dashboard so what you are doing is making a loop inside the engin compartment and not letting the hot water cerculate inside the dash

then you decrease capacity of the engine cooling system.....

Q8 6.2
06-04-11, 07:32 AM
It will not decrease engine cooling it has nothing to do with engine cooling I have been doing it for years on all my cars it works takes 10 minutes to do AC always colder after this mod.

mrl859
06-04-11, 10:29 AM
It will not decrease engine cooling it has nothing to do with engine coolingActually it will and it does, as the heater core does act as a small radiator/heat exchanger. If these cars use a heater control valve under the hood and you bypass it there, there is no difference. If, as most modern cars are designed, there is just a blend door in the evaporator housing, then you lose the additional capacity of the heater core. The difference should be negligible, though.

Q8 6.2
06-04-11, 10:52 AM
Thank you that's exactly my point we don't want the ACs cold air to be used to lower heater core heat exchanger.. We want all the AC cold air to be directed to the cabin and not used to lower heater core temps.

Domsz06
06-04-11, 01:28 PM
Thank you that's exactly my point we don't want the ACs cold air to be used to lower heater core heat exchanger.. We want all the AC cold air to be directed to the cabin and not used to lower heater core temps.

i'm guessing you never really use the heater anyway over there in Kuwait as well right?

Q8 6.2
06-04-11, 05:33 PM
Yes no heater for us, here it is just one big oven it was 57deg yesterday haha crazy.

for people that want a heater for winter time dont cut the hose just install a valve to the hose and just open it in winter..

shade
06-04-11, 05:55 PM
How much of a difference are we talking on AC performance by installing a bypass?

MKWAGON
06-04-11, 11:37 PM
You should gain a fair amount of chill. As I recall it, GM AC systems are designed to super chill the air and then run it through the heater core to bring it back up to a comfortable temp so you don't get too frosty, and therefore you don't really feel the air as cold as the system makes it. Pardon me for interloping.

Q8 6.2
06-05-11, 06:08 AM
I would say 20% more cold I have got compliments from passengers on how cold Ac is..

marktanner
06-05-11, 12:52 PM
I had seat coolers on my '08 CTS, and they did seem more effective than the fans on my '09 V with the Recaros. When I feel the seat surface, though, it definitely feels cool. My impression has been that the Alcantara fabric inserts diffuse the airflow, while the holes in the leather in the '08 allowed the airflow to be felt. The holes in the fabric are not that open, plus the surrounding fabric also allows some airflow. Another factor is that the fabric just doesn't feel as hot as leather does, and generally causes less sweating, so it's not as necessary to cool, either.

My AC cools quite quickly, though occasionally it will momentarily blow warmer, and not in relation to full throttle, because I rarely use full throttle. That said, IMHO the AC is more than adequate even in Atlanta's summer heat and humidity.

shade
06-05-11, 04:08 PM
I'm willing to give it a shot in AZ any increase in AC performance is a welcomed one. Can anyone post a picture of where the bypass valve would go? I'm not sure which ones would need to be bypassed.

kevm14
06-22-11, 11:18 AM
My AC cools quite quickly, though occasionally it will momentarily blow warmer, and not in relation to full throttle, because I rarely use full throttle. That said, IMHO the AC is more than adequate even in Atlanta's summer heat and humidity.

I found this thread via googling for how effective the ventilation is on the V with Recaros. Apparently it is just airflow, not active cooling. But what I really wanted to comment on is that my 05 does the same thing sometimes (A/C inexplicably gets warmer for periods). Interesting that your 09 does it. Mine has 105k on it, so I figured that could be a factor, but perhaps not?

Domsz06
06-22-11, 11:30 AM
I found this thread via googling for how effective the ventilation is on the V with Recaros. Apparently it is just airflow, not active cooling. But what I really wanted to comment on is that my 05 does the same thing sometimes (A/C inexplicably gets warmer for periods). Interesting that your 09 does it. Mine has 105k on it, so I figured that could be a factor, but perhaps not?

It's a production problem. My z06 does it too. From what the members of z06vette.com said what happans (and this makes sense for my car) is that the engine bays are so hot that in stop and go traffic there is not enough air flow over the ac cooling/evaporator so it gets warm. and then you get warm air instead of cool air. In my z06 everytime I hit a stop light it gets warm about 10-15 seconds later (if it's 100 out it's faster)

I'd guess this is common on lots of gm's models that are high hp since they don't have room to put a big evaporator. I haven't noticed it yet in my v...

zinner
06-22-11, 03:27 PM
The cooled seats in my 2011 are not that great. Compared to the cooled seats in a DTS they barely work.

kevm14
06-22-11, 05:06 PM
I feel like it's happened just driving down the highway, so maybe that's not problem. My engine bay DOES get hot with A/C use. IATs shoot up. I put the stock intake back on to help combat it, but even the stock airbox just heat soaks.

On the seats, you'd want a system like this I think:

http://www.amerigon.com/ccs_works.php

ccclarke
06-22-11, 05:21 PM
Amerigon is the vendor that supplies the heat/cool seat modules for the XLR. In theory they're great, in practice, they're better than nothing, but don't live up to the sales hype. The biggest issue is the airflow (or lack thereof.) From the diagram on their website, you can see how thin the fan housing is. Obviously, this is a form/fit/function requirement, but it's still inadequate to get the heated/cool air distributed thought the little ducts in the seat cushion and seat back.

The manual says it may take up to fifteen minutes for the seat to warm up! (My CTS-V using trie-and-true heating element strips is warm in three!) When cooling, the XLR seat cushion eventually gets cool in certain spots, but the seat back cooler module (fed by the wimpy blower under the seat) doesn't make a dent. Maybe I'll try inserting a couple of small, laptop fans in the main duct and see if I can boost the cooling efficiency.

In short, after hearing from other XLR owners, the XLR's much touted heated/cooled seats are pure hype. Great idea, poor execution.

CC

Domsz06
06-22-11, 05:37 PM
I feel like it's happened just driving down the highway, so maybe that's not problem. My engine bay DOES get hot with A/C use. IATs shoot up. I put the stock intake back on to help combat it, but even the stock airbox just heat soaks.

On the seats, you'd want a system like this I think:

http://www.amerigon.com/ccs_works.php

was gonna say cool.....

Amerigon is the vendor that supplies the heat/cool seat modules for the XLR. In theory they're great, in practice, they're better than nothing, but don't live up to the sales hype. The biggest issue is the airflow (or lack thereof.) From the diagram on their website, you can see how thin the fan housing is. Obviously, this is a form/fit/function requirement, but it's still inadequate to get the heated/cool air distributed thought the little ducts in the seat cushion and seat back.

The manual says it may take up to fifteen minutes for the seat to warm up! (My CTS-V using trie-and-true heating element strips is warm in three!) When cooling, the XLR seat cushion eventually gets cool in certain spots, but the seat back cooler module (fed by the wimpy blower under the seat) doesn't make a dent. Maybe I'll try inserting a couple of small, laptop fans in the main duct and see if I can boost the cooling efficiency.

In short, after hearing from other XLR owners, the XLR's much touted heated/cooled seats are pure hype. Great idea, poor execution.

CC

then I read this....

Tom_E
06-22-11, 05:52 PM
I found something that helped my seats have cooler air through them, at least it seems that way to me, and this is I got in the back seat and selected the airflow to the floor in stead of the face.

donmillard
07-23-11, 07:12 PM
I'm also unimpressed with amount of cooling in the seats. I use the high setting on the seat cooler and barely notice a difference! When I test drove a Lincoln, prior to purchasing my 2010 CTS, the seat cooler was immediately noticeable. GM may need to boost the fan output.

mrl859
07-23-11, 08:44 PM
I'm also unimpressed with amount of cooling in the seats. I use the high setting on the seat cooler and barely notice a difference! When I test drove a Lincoln, prior to purchasing my 2010 CTS, the seat cooler was immediately noticeable. GM may need to boost the fan output.Did the Lincoln have cooled seats or ventilated seats? Completely different animal.

JetFuelOnly
09-10-11, 04:28 AM
Sad to hear about the AC being weak. My GTP has always had a hard time here in Vegas, and since I put a front mount intercooler, the AC is even more inefficient. At stoplights on a hot day, the AC can start to blow warm until I get moving again.

Also, a question about the ventilated seats. I see it only comes on the Recaro's but is it still an option or do all Recaro CTS-Vs have ventilated seats??