: SRX Hybrid - From Motor Trend/Reuters

RedBeauty
05-31-11, 12:50 PM
Cadillac won’t be building a plug-in hybrid or extended-range electric version of the SRX crossover, at least not for the present-generation model, according to Reuters. The new report says General Motors has put the program on hold because it believes it would not be financially viable.

Rumors of an electrified Cadillac SRX first surfaced in December 2010, when Reuters reported that the Voltec drivetrain from the Chevrolet Volt was being adapted to the Cadillac crossover. Installing the Voltec system in more vehicles is seen by many as a way for GM to amortize its development costs for the drivetrain. The company is already upgrading its Detroit-Hamtramck factory so that Volt production can reach 60,000 units annually by 2012.

One month later, GM CEO Dan Ackerson told reporters that the company was looking to employ a plug-in hybrid system for the Cadillac SRX. It would have been based on the drivetrain developed for the Saturn Vue plug-in hybrid — which never saw production — rather than the Voltec system. Instead, Ackerson asserted that Voltec technology would underpin a minivan or hatchback like the Chevrolet Volt MP5 concept.

According to Reuters, GM was testing development prototypes of a hybrid Cadillac SRX. However, the project was scrapped because the SRX platform is already two years old, so by the time a hybrid version was ready for production, the platform would be too dated. It was believed that a production electric-assist crossover based on the extant SRX would be costly and lose money when it went on sale.

Reuters claims that the next-generation SRX platform has improved features and is more cost-efficient, making it better suited to development of a new drivetrain. In other words, some kind of electric vehicle may debut on a future Cadillac SRX platform. It seems certain GM will spread its extended-range electric technology to other vehicles, but they may not debut for a few years’ time.

Source: Reuters

TheCaptain
05-31-11, 12:55 PM
Interesting. I do like the Voltec powertrain, but i'm thinking the range will not be near as great pushing around an SUV compared to the Volt!

Btw, i seen a new Volt on the highway when i went to Minneapolis this past weekend! It looked awesome! :D

RippyPartsDept
05-31-11, 01:15 PM
http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/components/com_joomgallery/img_pictures/first_chevrolet_volt_deliveries_54/the_first_delivery_20101215_1275390866.jpg

http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/components/com_joomgallery/img_pictures/volt_unplugged_tour_-_san_antonio_51/volt_unplugged_tour_-_san_antonio_20101207_1551713773.jpg

If I had the money, I'd have a Volt and a Vwagon in the stable

Smokin' SRX
05-31-11, 02:38 PM
Nice pix..and you have great taste too! LOL I'd suffer with a bat car and a Caddy -V too!

SS

PJ1520
05-31-11, 02:57 PM
I keep thinking that the days of that sweet sound of some under the hood muscle or some singing turbos spinning under the hood may be at its zenith.

PJ

TheCaptain
05-31-11, 03:03 PM
At least the Volt is totally the best looking ERV around!

And i'm with you guys! I would totally love a Volt and a V Coupe in the driveway! (Then a V Sedan, then the V Wagon)

RippyPartsDept
05-31-11, 03:16 PM
it's just one big happy V family!

Smokin' SRX
06-01-11, 07:52 AM
I keep thinking that the days of that sweet sound of some under the hood muscle or some singing turbos spinning under the hood may be at its zenith.

PJ

I read that the Prius has added a "noise" generator as it was so quiet (same as Chevy Volt) that pedestrians stepped right in front of moving vehicles.

BUT........some company is making an amplifier that sounds like a Chevy SS 396 eng! Put it under your hood , flip a switch, and give your Bat Car some decibels! I heard it's on Youtube, but I haven't looked around yet.

I love starting my Denali 6.2L just to hear the exhaust "burble". A dying breed for sure....

SS

PJ1520
06-01-11, 11:35 AM
Smokin........ we have in a very real sense become a victim of our own acceptance of, and desire for, more and more (gadgets) on our vehicles, which ties right back into vehicle weight and fuel mileage. The SecondGen dimensionally-smaller SRX managed to carve off about 5% in weight over the FirstGen, somewhat apples to apples. And the newer 2012 engine will pump out more (power) from less (displacement) while improving fuel economy.

But somewhere in my mind I truly believe we have helped create a weighty monster that will accelerate the demise of the very thing which caused some of us to choose vehicles that sound and perform as good as they look. There was a time in the American automotive industry where one could option-delete items that piled on the weight and/or slowed a vehicle's handling and performance.

I have no quarrel with those that are looking for more MPG or the cleaner environment a hybrid or an all-electric can deliver. But the concept of driving a vehicle that doesn't have the self-generated sound of power would take too much of the fun out of driving for me. I sat in my wife's cousin's Prius at a stoplight, and the silence was deafening. She was all smiles because she deives over 100 miles a day to work, round trip. It floats her boat, but not mine.

6.2L of V8 is a nice (high) round number. Works for me!!!!!!!!! :yup:

PJ

TheCaptain
06-01-11, 01:19 PM
I sure would love a 6.2L V8 as well. Heck even a 5.3 would make me happy! A pair of Kooks headers, a Magnaflow true dual X-pipe exhaust... :cloud9:

and fuel at $1.36+ /L ... :crying:

js615
06-02-11, 02:50 PM
I have my '09 V and the wife drives the '11 SRX. ..BUT...I tell people all the time I drive a hybrid...my car burns gas AND rubber!!