: Guaging interest in a custom fiberglass hood with vents

ProImaging
05-31-11, 01:41 PM
ok guys i looking to see who is interested in a hood. no details yet just need to see what kind of interest is out there. we need to have at least 10 comitted to make a go of this. anything less and they will either be super pricey which i would rather them not be. im trying to keep them reasonable ill try and find a few pics and am more than happy to look at suggestions so lets start a list and if your interested copy and paste

thebigjimsho
05-31-11, 01:45 PM
Sorry, man, my V is heavy enough...

Junkie414
05-31-11, 01:46 PM
Love the stock cowl setup but would like to see one with some vents in it, heat extractor style ya know

Domsz06
05-31-11, 01:49 PM
If you can make it lighter then the stock hood I'm interested.

but with fiberglass I have a feeling it would be heavier so then I'm not interested.

Let us know.

ProImaging
05-31-11, 01:52 PM
wondering if the weight would make that much difference. wouldnt the cooler underhood temps keep the IAT from taking hp more than make up for the weight. the one on my truck is a lot lighter than the OEM hood.

Razorecko
05-31-11, 01:55 PM
Im all in , I agree with the cowl setup with some heat extractors in it. That would hit a double market. Those that in the future will be adding bigger blowers that are higher up than the oem blower and everyone else that wants to pull out heat. Something that would do serious cooling and either have a drainage feature built in or something that has guards that can be thrown on anytime really quick, like in the winter or heavy rain

thebigjimsho
05-31-11, 02:07 PM
Not sure how light the V2 hood is but even carbon fiber had a hard time being lighter than the V1's aluminum hood...

Domsz06
05-31-11, 02:12 PM
wondering if the weight would make that much difference. wouldnt the cooler underhood temps keep the IAT from taking hp more than make up for the weight. the one on my truck is a lot lighter than the OEM hood.

I'm in even if it ways the same if you can show me cooling benefits, and by that I mean actual temp probs and recordings and what not. Shouldn't be hard to do. If you do that then the weight wouldn't bother me as much. Esp if it's a direct replacement as well.

Thanks for looking into this.

Would also need to be something not too aggressive. D3 makes one but it's too aggressive for my tastes. I still want to keep my "sleeper" apperance.

Junkie414
05-31-11, 02:16 PM
I'm in even if it ways the same if you can show me cooling benefits, and by that I mean actual temp probs and recordings and what not. Shouldn't be hard to do. If you do that then the weight wouldn't bother me as much. Esp if it's a direct replacement as well.

Would also need to be something not too aggressive. D3 makes one but it's too aggressive for my tastes. I still want to keep my "sleeper" apperance.

could not agree more, the D3 hood is FUGLY

Bushidopupil
05-31-11, 02:20 PM

^ What he said....except sleeper appearance...lol it's a V bro...ha ha ha...Yeah stockish is better IMO though...

ProImaging
05-31-11, 02:51 PM
gotcha, no big ass bump in the middle....lol

Domsz06
05-31-11, 03:14 PM
http://www.d3cadillac.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/1.jpg

yeah just too much for me.

If I didn't want sleeper and it was a show car I like it don't get me wrong, but totally kills the sleeper look look:)

musclesbmf
05-31-11, 03:35 PM
If you can mimic the V coupe R hood, I'm in.
Obviously fit and finish have to be "perfect" :-)

Mark

ProImaging
05-31-11, 03:50 PM

Mark

it would be test fitted on my personal car. when you have them painted they will have to be fitted by a bodyshop before paint too. if they are anything like most cars these days the tolerances are so out its rediculous.

qictrk
05-31-11, 03:54 PM
How about something like this? Cecil.............

Domsz06
05-31-11, 03:58 PM

Mark

I thought the same design

isn't that the cts-vr? i dig it.

vetkila
05-31-11, 06:24 PM
Im in if it brings down temps, not to aggressive, and weighs the same or less.

mr.algaz
05-31-11, 10:50 PM
I have always wanted to keep the looks of the V. I have owned a couple of cars in my life and always played with the exterior and the looks of the car, but on the V it looks perfect.

Now when talking about the weight, I don't mind the weight, but if it would lower the IAT's or the temps under the hood then consider me 100% in.

Now as for the thoughts, I have already went to a couple of guys and tried a couple of ideas and drawings but no one was able to provide me with what I wanted. My idea was to raise the end of the cowl hood a bit to match the front or the start of the cowl and have maybe some fins added to the side of it to extract heat and also be able to make the end of it where it faces the windshield also extract heat. Just my 2 cents

BLitzkrieg
05-31-11, 11:05 PM
The base of the windshield is a high pressure area. It would push air into the cowl. "cowl induction" The sides of the cowl are low pressure high velocity space which is perfect for extraction.

ProImaging
06-01-11, 08:57 AM
this is what we are looking at possibles so far... im going to try and get some photo's together and get a photoshop pic done.
1.ProImaging
2. Razorecko
3.Domsz06
4.musclesbmf
5.vetkilla

Rabbitctsv
06-01-11, 09:33 AM
How about a hood that looks stock with small oem look vent in the front. Something stock NOT looking like a rice burner tuner, show, body kit car.

ProImaging
06-01-11, 09:44 AM
How about a hood that looks stock with small oem look vent in the front. Something stock NOT looking like a rice burner tuner, show, body kit car.

thats what i was thinking, nothing too flashy to keep the sleeper look. i love pulling up beside rustangs and vettes and the new ss camaros and blistering 'em from the light. they never see it coming. especially from a grocery getter...lol

Domsz06
06-01-11, 10:18 AM

my thoughts exactly!

musclesbmf
06-01-11, 11:12 AM

The pic of that hood is what I want... Who is offering that?

Mark

Razorecko
06-01-11, 11:44 AM
Honestly if it has some dinky little extractor that drops iat's 5 degrees its not worth it. You can make it a badass really well cooling hood just keep the extractor large and flush with the oem hood lines. Its when you start raising the hood 3" than it gets a little wild

JOEYCTS-V
06-01-11, 12:25 PM
I'd be interested in modifying the stock hood. Possibly adding vents on the side of the cowl or maybe something on the top of the hood like on this M3? What are your thoughts? It would be much cheaper but don't know if it's practical. http://img.infocoches.com/img/europrojektz/2003-BMW-325Ci-OSS/europrojektz_2003-BMW-325Ci-OSS-006_1.jpg

Razorecko
06-01-11, 02:01 PM
Well we can do an extractor /cowl type deal and than do a strip of small extractors like shown on the bmw right above where the oem intake box is. That would def help with intake flow. The only thing its visually not uniform

qictrk
06-01-11, 03:31 PM
The pic of that hood is what I want... Who is offering that?

Mark
I can't say right now. It may or may not be available. You should know in a few weeks. Cecil..........

Domsz06
06-01-11, 03:45 PM
I can't say right now. It may or may not be available. You should know in a few weeks. Cecil..........

I may or may not like that post!! :D

lol keep us posted Cecil.

Junkie414
06-01-11, 05:01 PM

wow that looks awesome!

Mikevette
06-01-11, 06:34 PM
Looks just like the CTSV-R hood, which pulls hot air from the engine. Thsi should be massaged some to get he best look and I think you will have a must item for all V owners who want to represent the V gear head community. It it weights more, but keeps our engin temps down to a constant temp it will be a no brainer. Today 102 temp in N Florida V in the garage no sense even busting it out without some way of getting the engin temps down. Keep us in the loop with your product.

Mike P.

jamesdean65
06-01-11, 07:31 PM
How about something like this? Cecil............. can u do it in black diamond?

Bushidopupil
06-01-11, 07:44 PM
I would def. buy that hood!!! And if it is lighter and actually did the cooling job, bonus....

PhxTriode
06-02-11, 12:57 AM
Im in if it looks like something that came from cadillac... subtle but effective

baabootoo
06-02-11, 01:00 AM
Also check out the G8 hood too. It has two small vents that would blend nicely into the hood bulge. Maybe 1" high at the most. They were open, but could be plugged easily.

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
06-08-11, 04:56 PM
i would like a hood with a little taller cowl aleast 2 inches ...minus the heat vents...reminds me to much of a honda

StormTrooperFRC
06-09-11, 12:58 AM
Cool idea to do some mods to your hoods. I'm a big fan of modifying what is already there.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/V-seriesTech/phone374.jpg(hood is not in final spot in pics)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/V-seriesTech/phone448.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/V-seriesTech/414.jpg

This is something we did with my own hood, to extract any hot air we could. I also have a STOCK V2 hood, that I have laying around... gonna plan to add some vents in that once I figure out what style to go with, and where to inlay them. Once I figure it out, and buy the vents, i'll post some pics of it. It will be functional. I don't own the car so, i'll either hook up a local dude or i'll save it for "one day" when I buy one. :)

FYI,...the STOCK hood,...is super light. I can weigh it if your dieing to know....

Keep us posted.

fkingfocused
06-24-11, 05:21 AM
I've been pushing for the hood, seen on the 2011 cts concept coupe. Subtle, but packs a little muscle.

musclesbmf
06-24-11, 10:39 AM
^^
Any pics of the hood you mentioned?

Razorecko
06-24-11, 11:15 AM
is this going to happen ?

musclesbmf
06-24-11, 01:36 PM
Evidently Halltech has the CTS VR hood on his car. Prob obtained through Katech. I wish Katech would just make these avail to the public, unless the price is ridiculous.

Mark

ProImaging
06-24-11, 01:39 PM
trying to get some photoshopping done, then will have to have a mold make. this isnt something that can be done overnight. i cant do photoshop or i would do it myself

Razorecko
06-24-11, 02:10 PM
Evidently Halltech has the CTS VR hood on his car. Prob obtained through Katech. I wish Katech would just make these avail to the public, unless the price is ridiculous.

Mark

Yeap, I think Katech stated they are only doing them in carbon fiber which will = a ridiculous amount of money. I really dont see the appeal in doing anytype of cooling hood for our V's in carbon unless for aesthetics only. We already have a very lightweight oem hood and fiberglass doesnt weigh that much.

BLitzkrieg
06-25-11, 10:22 PM
Any update on this? Just make something like this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqIOKpkE26L3RhNqBN3lTOC!Dw~~_12.JPG

BLitzkrieg
06-25-11, 11:51 PM
Im at the point where I might mold these into my stock hood

http://www.carbodykits.com/images/D/RACEONUSA-HiFlex-Type-113-Louver-Hood-Scoops-Universal-02.jpg

thebigjimsho
06-26-11, 12:09 AM
Any update on this? Just make something like this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqIOKpkE26L3RhNqBN3lTOC%21Dw%7E%7E_12.JPGNo t feelin it at all...

BLitzkrieg
06-26-11, 12:15 AM
Not feelin it at all...

I was referring to the louvers not the rest

ProImaging
06-27-11, 06:30 PM
guy should have me some renderings this week. will post them up when hes done with them then we can try to move forward. like i said it will take 3 to 4 grand to get this off the ground and have molds made. the more people comitted in the beginning the cheaper we will be able to sell them.

ranger2525
08-18-11, 05:25 PM
Is this dead? Or am I missing something?

Razorecko
08-18-11, 09:30 PM
most likely dead. Getting an aftermarket hood going for some cars is like pulling teeth

thebigjimsho
08-18-11, 09:52 PM
Not needed anyway. Why rice up the V?

Razorecko
08-18-11, 10:36 PM
Not needed anyway. Why rice up the V?

Heck we dont need the rice but something simple like raising the rear cowl a 1/2" in and create a good opening with a guard for water would be great