: Pictures of my V at Texas Mile 180 MPH

dons
05-31-11, 11:20 AM
Here are some shots of my V at the Texas Mile. I finally achieved the 180 MPH mark I was shooting for.

Bigron
05-31-11, 11:32 AM
Congrats. Do you have a roll cage in the car or any additional safety features?

kcshaner
05-31-11, 11:36 AM
Here are some shots of my V at the Texas Mile. I finally achieved the 180 MPH mark I was shooting for.

Congrats! What mods/power level are you at?

dons
05-31-11, 01:06 PM
Congrats! What mods/power level are you at?

No roll cage, but do have fire equipment, helment, etc. Roll cage required if you do 190 MPH or better. Don't think that I will ever get there. I have 630 RWHP, with the following mod performed by ADM Performance out of Lewisville, Texas. Check out their web site.

Mods are:
LPE upper pulley, LPE ported inlet, LPE Intake kit with k/n filter, upgraded heat exchanger, 60 # injectors, LPE GT 11 cam, Patriot Gold Springs, Innovate West crankshaft pulley, Metco 9.5 crank pulley, NGKTR6 spark plugs, 3 inch stainlees custom exhaust with no cats flowing through magnaflow muffler with 4 inch tips, D3 springs to sit it down, stock heads and no headers, and that about it.

wait4me
05-31-11, 01:14 PM
Just out of curiosity have you tried different pulley sizes on the dyno pulls to see if you would gain more by going to a smaller lower pulley? I have seen massive hp drops when going past 8.5 lower on the stock engine if used with the 2.55 upper. Just curious because the 9.5 lower with a 2.55 upper is pretty high in the blower speed area....

Good numbers though by the way. That is haulin.

dons
05-31-11, 01:24 PM
Just out of curiosity have you tried different pulley sizes on the dyno pulls to see if you would gain more by going to a smaller lower pulley? I have seen massive hp drops when going past 8.5 lower on the stock engine if used with the 2.55 upper. Just curious because the 9.5 lower with a 2.55 upper is pretty high in the blower speed area....

Good numbers though by the way. That is haulin.

I previously had a smaller lower pulley, I believe it was an 8.5, but when I added the larger pulley along with the larger exhaust system there was no loss in HP.

Life@60
05-31-11, 01:32 PM
I am not familiar with the Texas mile, Question? Do you go by your own speed-o or do they have one to go by? Did you have to use the whole mile to get those numbers? This is all new to me just learning the in and outs. Great numbers. 180 is hauling the mail now. I have gone 160 on the speed-0 don't know how accurate that is after the 100 mark.

dons
05-31-11, 01:39 PM
I am not familiar with the Texas mile, Question? Do you go by your own speed-o or do they have one to go by? Did you have to use the whole mile to get those numbers? This is all new to me just learning the in and outs. Great numbers. 180 is hauling the mail now. I have gone 160 on the speed-0 don't know how accurate that is after the 100 mark.

The Texas Mile has a very informative web site, just type in Texas Mile on your web browser and read to your hearts content. Basically it is a standing start 1 mile run, not elasped time but mph clocked as you pass through the timing lights set up at the end of the mile run. It is not a rolling start but a standing start. And yes it takes the entire mile for me to get it up to 180MPH. It is an awsome event. Thank you for asking. Don

aj660
05-31-11, 03:05 PM

I'd love to do the Texas mile. Looks like a lot of fun... Congratulations on 180mph!!

whisler151
05-31-11, 03:10 PM
Congrats Don! Glad you were able to hit 180!

e6t
05-31-11, 03:11 PM
Congrats don!

Where's the video???

dons
05-31-11, 03:15 PM
Congrats don!

Where's the video???

Unfortunely there will be no video. the wife ( my crew chief) failed two different times to make our camera work Thiought I had the 180 Mile run on the video but when I got home, it was areal disaster.

ChicagoV
05-31-11, 03:32 PM
Hey Don, congrats on the 180- that is, like, fast. What will a stock V auto run on the TM? How many V's were there this weekend? Can't do October, but I have told my crew chief that we are doing next March.

dons
05-31-11, 03:40 PM
Hey Don, congrats on the 180- that is, like, fast. What will a stock V auto run on the TM? How many V's were there this weekend? Can't do October, but I have told my crew chief that we are doing next March.

There were three other V's there. I know that the 2011 V sedan was a manual with 640 or so RWHP. He goes by Tramsan79, (Mike) and a real nice fellow, but I do not know what his speed was, as I had to leave early. The other two V's were coupes, and I do not know if they were modified or not. The Texas Mile web site will post in the near future the speeds of all entries. So you can check their web site soon. Thank you.

ChicagoV
05-31-11, 03:52 PM
I'll check the site- thanks for the pics.

jwa999
05-31-11, 04:13 PM
Congrats Don! They where finally able to figure out how to kick it into 6th gear?
Or did you over-revv it in 5th?
How was the wind? In the dfw area we had constant 30+ mph wind from the south this weekend, i could tell a big difference going south on the tollroad vs going north. And the mile is due south!

serturbo
05-31-11, 04:15 PM
Looks like you were running drag radials. What pressure were you at and how stable did they feel at the top end?

e6t
05-31-11, 04:22 PM
Unfortunely there will be no video. the wife ( my crew chief) failed two different times to make our camera work Thiought I had the 180 Mile run on the video but when I got home, it was areal disaster.

she's fired!

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4bc08fca7f8b9a594b5a0500-399-302/trump-youre-fired.jpg

dons
05-31-11, 05:34 PM
Congrats Don! They where finally able to figure out how to kick it into 6th gear?
Or did you over-revv it in 5th?
How was the wind? In the dfw area we had constant 30+ mph wind from the south this weekend, i could tell a big difference going south on the tollroad vs going north. And the mile is due south!

It never shifted out of fifth, and probably would have shifted at 185 MPH. Got the rev limiter removed finally.

dons
05-31-11, 05:36 PM
Looks like you were running drag radials. What pressure were you at and how stable did they feel at the top end?

I ran 22 lbs. with no problem whatsoever on top end.

Life@60
06-01-11, 01:42 AM
Don thanks for the heads up on the site, That is awesome, in my younger days I would of like to do that one. I might even consider it now with a twist of the arm.
Good run.

Gordy Petrovski
06-01-11, 08:53 AM
Nice job Don & now on to 185mph ;) Waiting on ADM (Andy) to make time for a certain V-wagon so I can join you for some fun.

neuronbob
06-01-11, 09:12 AM
Congrats! I'm glad you finally hit 180. Too bad your video camera wasn't operating.

dons
06-08-11, 07:47 PM

Pictures of v black rims on front of V. The back ones are Corvette.

Dr. Design
06-08-11, 07:57 PM
Congrats on the run! It's great to see V's out there having fun.

Wannago
06-08-11, 10:25 PM

Top Gear did the standing mile at Bonneville, and the stock V did 163 on the less-than-optimal salt surface. On asphalt, high 160's?

I have a video of the entire episode in which they drove a V, a ZR1, and an SRT-8. The Bonneville runs are at the end of the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSOTF2daso

StormTrooperFRC
06-09-11, 12:33 AM
Very nice TRAP speed man. Having driven the mile a few times in a V,...thats moving. Tight work.

BOYCHIKS
06-09-11, 11:35 PM
Wow, that is moving!

Congrats.