: Parking brake won't release on 1980 Cadillac Sedan Deville

wrayb126
05-31-11, 09:22 AM
Can anyone tell me how to release the parking brake manually on my 1980 Cadillac Sedan Deville? Also, I am hearing what sounds like a vacuum leak behind my dashboard and am wondering if this might be related? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Wb

Wheelman322
05-31-11, 11:24 AM
Right by the parking brake pedal, theres a silver release button that's flat with the bottom of the dash.

MoistCabbage
05-31-11, 01:05 PM
The vacuum line or diaphram for the auto release is most likely ruptured.

77CDV
05-31-11, 11:42 PM
It's a lever, acutally. You press up on it and the pedal should release. Be sure to keep your hand out of the pedal's path of travel, because it springs forward with force sufficient to wound.

csbuckn
05-31-11, 11:48 PM
What happens if the release doesn't work? Isn't there something you can do at the rear wheels to unlock it?

CADforce69
06-01-11, 08:09 AM
The manual release is very simple: It works just by disengaging the pedal cog from the lever that avoids pedal going back, like a manual parking brake. Itīs very difficult manual release do not work. In my caddy automatic release does not work and manual lever is broken. To my horror, I discovered it when I first applied parking brake but I could release it by pulling the remains of the lever with my finger.