: Windshield Washer Pump

DaleCad
05-30-11, 07:40 PM
My 1979 Coupe Deville's windshield washer isn't working. The tank is full
with fresh fluid. I blew out all the hoses and nozzles--everthing is open, free
and clear. I took the plastic cover off the unit and cleaned the inside of the
pump with a brush, Q-tipes and alcohol. Also cleaned the electronic connectors.
All to no avail. The pump is receiving power but does not pump! I bought
a new pump from Advance Auto which is supposed to fit, but it is not an exact
match. The new pump has a built-in circuit board, and the old one doesn't.
Also the wiring is not the same for the plugs to plug into. I'm fresh out of
ideas! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! Dalecad.

deVille33
05-30-11, 08:12 PM
These pumps are a problem. Made out of plastic in the pump body and piston, they don't stand up well to Winter without a antifreeze solution. The solutrions are usually alcohol based. Try priming the pump with a soap solution using a dish detergent. It may soften the O-ring seals on the piston and at the collector head and valves. If that doesn't work, use my last resort.
As a last resort I install an electric pump in the line between the pump and reservoir. I use the feed connection that starts the pump for a feed signal. The electric pump pushes the fluid to the pump. The pump pushes the fluid to the nozzles.

brougham
05-30-11, 11:10 PM
It sounds like the new pump might be for the intermittent wipers and yours just have a couple speeds.

HUF
05-30-11, 11:26 PM
My 1979 Coupe Deville's windshield washer isn't working. The tank is full
with fresh fluid. I blew out all the hoses and nozzles--everthing is open, free
and clear. I took the plastic cover off the unit and cleaned the inside of the
pump with a brush, Q-tipes and alcohol. Also cleaned the electronic connectors.
All to no avail. The pump is receiving power but does not pump! I bought
a new pump from Advance Auto which is supposed to fit, but it is not an exact
match. The new pump has a built-in circuit board, and the old one doesn't.
Also the wiring is not the same for the plugs to plug into. I'm fresh out of
ideas! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! Dalecad.
I have replaced two perfectly working pump only to realize the problem was the connector... Clean the connector (both male and female) really good with cleaner , connect and reconnect some 20 times (no kidding) and you will be probably fine. Had similar issue with EGR system, cleaned teh connector and all was well.

DaleCad
05-31-11, 03:47 PM
The switch plate indicates the system is equipped with a delay, but it also has a Lo and Hi speed.
Thanks for you interest.

DaleCad
05-31-11, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your ideas. How in fact does one go about priming the pump with a soap solution? Where do you put it?

MoistCabbage
05-31-11, 06:04 PM
The pump is receiving power but does not pump!

Meaning there is power at the connector but the pump does nothing, or is the pump actually turning?

jayoldschool
05-31-11, 08:24 PM
Welcome, and glad to see Ben has pointed you here!

If you can't get it sorted, go with the universal replacement inline pump. The old GM pumps are notorious for dying. When I worked in parts, I would sell pumps frequently I had to install two on old cars I used to own, and I believe both my 71 Pontiac as well as my 81 Cadillac have them.

deVille33
06-03-11, 08:48 PM
Fill a dish soap bottle with dish soap solution and water. Use a 12 to 1 mix and shake it up. You can run a feeder line to the pump inlet to the bottle. You can use a soda straw or a swizzle stick at the bottle nozzle. Hold the bottle above the pump and activate the pump. That should prime your pump.

KakthePoleCat
10-23-12, 01:27 AM
Hello, I recently bought a 1979 Cadillac Sedan Deville and I am having this same problem. When I try to use the fluid the light on the dash comes on and says as if it were empty, or to say that there is something wrong I guess, and nothing comes out. So, I think it's the pump but could it be the something in the tank or the indicator? This is the first car I've ever owned so I am trying to learn everything about it so I can keep this in the condition it should be in. Thanks for any help folks!

1980coupe
10-23-12, 02:30 AM
mine don't work so Im not concern. As long as the wiper motor works, I am happy.

j2rossit
10-23-12, 10:34 AM
If you were to move up here to Canada you'd bump fixing the washer fluid pump up to the top of your list the first time you encountered a dirty slushy/ freezing rainy day.

Fleetwood472
10-23-12, 10:49 AM
Does anyone know where to find replacement pistons for these washer pumps? I've noticed that the seals go bad over the years and the rebuild kits don't stock the replacement piston/piston seal. Any ideas?

brougham
10-24-12, 07:06 PM
The dealer or any parts store can get them. You buy the whole pump assembly.

deVille33
10-25-12, 07:22 AM
The light on the dash gets activated because the float sensor dosen't work well. the contacts are under the bottle cap. I tried to sort this out at one point and gave up. Now I just ignore the light. GM made this part so that you had to replace the complete pick up unit.