: misbehaving power seat - help!

Bro-Ham
05-30-11, 07:11 PM
This is not the end of the world, although an annoyance.

My faithful 79 Cad has a power seat that worked fine until a couple of days ago when I adjusted it a bit. On my next drive I decided to adjust it back - but the seat only went up - so I kept pressing the buttons (like a dummy) as I went up and up and up and now the seat is as high as it goes which is not cool since my head rubs against my fancy newly replaced headliner.

I read the service manual although it's almost like reading latin to me - I can figure out that the seat "energizes" - meaning when I press any of the three buttons in any direction it seems to send a current and click - as though it's at the maximum of movement (which it happens to be due to my fiddle-dicking around) but I can't move the seat in any direction at this point.

Is there a reset button that will solve all my problems? Otherwise, is this something I can attempt to fix on my own or should I get my mechanic to figure it out? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Dave

jayoldschool
05-30-11, 08:39 PM
I would bet it is the switch. Might be worth wiring up a jumper with the switch out so you can see how to connect it.

deVille33
05-30-11, 09:23 PM
Sometimes when you mess with the seats strange things happen. Sometimes, if you have moved the seat all the way back, the plug becomes slightly pulled out of the connector adn the seat may move in some directions, but not all. Look under the seat and see if the connector is all the way into it's receptor. use a small flashlight and look under from the front of the seat.

Bro-Ham
05-30-11, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Jay, what do you mean by a jumper to see how it is connected? DeVille33, thanks, I will check that out - jiggle some of the connections?

Right before I wrote this I got adventurous and took the power seat switch out from the control panel- one of the wires was loose and then came out. The place where the wire was crimped to the connector for the power seat switch was hard to take apart so I rigged a new connector to the existing one...it didn't make any difference at all, same symptoms as before.

CADforce69
05-31-11, 08:49 AM
Maybe itīs the relay. If you have checked connexions and it does not work, you can also try taking 2 long wires from battery to the motor and see if it works then. If so, probably itīs the relay, or else, you should take motor out and check lubrication, broken parts, etc... preventing it to work. Itīs a difficult area to work in; I think that you should unscrew front seat to work properly.

Bro-Ham
05-31-11, 01:52 PM
Thanks CADforce! I am going to look underneath the seat and see if I can see something - also forced myself to read the service manual and have an idea of what you're talking about with the relay. Stay tuned... Thanks for all the help!! :) :)

CADforce69
05-31-11, 04:28 PM
If you have the workshop manual for your year, it will be a great help, as you will find much more specific directions. Good luck and hope you fix it! ;)

brougham_geezer
06-01-11, 11:13 AM
At least your seat transmission is fine. In my `80 CDV, (white leather bench), the yellowish-plastic case with all the gears inside crumbled into a million pieces. My motor works fine, but it`s spinning free of the cables. Both of my parts cars had their seat transmission casings split wide open. I have to use a drill to make adjustments to the seat. Not the classiest thing for a Cadillac owner to be doing... and is especially sad since the rest of the car is near pristine!

CADforce69
06-01-11, 12:22 PM
You can look for a used unit coming from a donor caddy. For this purpose, you can post an ad in the wanted parts section; maybe you can get a very cheap one. If no success, you can also contact some salvage yards and part recycling companies, like the one which sold me a differential for my 69 SDV.

Bro-Ham
06-01-11, 12:26 PM
At least your seat transmission is fine. In my `80 CDV, (white leather bench), the yellowish-plastic case with all the gears inside crumbled into a million pieces. My motor works fine, but it`s spinning free of the cables. Both of my parts cars had their seat transmission casings split wide open. I have to use a drill to make adjustments to the seat. Not the classiest thing for a Cadillac owner to be doing... and is especially sad since the rest of the car is near pristine!

I can relate - my car has lived a pretty pampered life, hopefully the seat mechanicals are still intact and fixable... :)

I'm going to take a peek under the seat probably tonight and I will report back if I can figure anything out, otherwise the car is going in for major servicing on Monday and I'm going to add the seat to the list - - car is scheduled for rebuilt carb, new plugs/wires/cap/rotor, new water pump, new windshield washer pump, and probably a new starter (original starter is starting to get funny and I hate being stranded and/or riding with chain smoking flat bed tow truck drivers who prefer AC to open windows :) ).