: Spring Install (do I need spring compressor) ?

laynrockers
05-30-11, 04:55 PM
Have my V in the garage and can't seem to get the spring/shock assembly loose. Removed to top 4 bolts (not sure what the two plastic things do) and removed the bottom two shock mounts on the lower control arm.

Cant get it to budge is a spring compressor needed or am I missing something ?
:bouncy:
I am antsy so slam this beast. Let me know those of you who have done your own spring install

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o174/mackdawg_2006/shockinstall.jpg

qictrk
05-30-11, 05:05 PM
On older cars, you definately need a compressor. I'm not sure about the newer cars. One thing I do know, be careful. You can injure yourself very easily. There are a lot of pressure points that can cause great harm if you pull the wrong bolt. I'm sure someone on this forum has done it before and will chime in. Myself, I would take it to a shop and spend the extra money. Cecil................

Domsz06
05-30-11, 05:25 PM
yeah go rent one from a pars store, then it's cake.

TheG
05-30-11, 06:19 PM
You will need a spring compressor to get spring off of thr strut. Strut and spring should come out as one piece. You probably have to undo sway bar end linc so control arm droops enough to get it loose.

danrob0123
05-30-11, 07:54 PM
in the picture you still have the ball joint connected to the knuckle. You have to disconnect the ball joint so the strut assembly can come off with the upper control arm. You don't need the spring compressors until the strut is out of the car to disassemble it and put the new springs in.

musclesbmf
05-30-11, 11:47 PM
as others have noted, the whole strut assembly (5 bolts top & 2 bolts bottom) has to be removed. No disconnecting sway bar needed, but the knuckle has to come apart so place a jack under the lower control arm.

Mark

laynrockers
09-21-11, 11:19 PM
Once I have the whole assemble out, how do i disconnect the shock from the strut and spring? I have already used the spring compressors but I can't fit my socket in there. How do you get that nut out?

musclesbmf
09-22-11, 10:26 AM
Once I have the whole assemble out, how do i disconnect the shock from the strut and spring? I have already used the spring compressors but I can't fit my socket in there. How do you get that nut out?
I use a pass thru socket and it comes right loose.

Mark

laynrockers
09-22-11, 12:34 PM
Thank god for an awesome neighbor. He brought one over and we wrapped it up. Thanks Mark!!

musclesbmf
09-22-11, 03:52 PM
Thank god for an awesome neighbor. He brought one over and we wrapped it up. Thanks Mark!!

Glad it worked out. Happy to help.

Mark