: Swapping Auto to Stick

Somefun
05-30-11, 09:12 AM
Has anyone ever heard of somone doing this? What do you think it would cost? It should be a bolt up but what about the ECU and other systems? I'm thinking I would ejoy the stick maybe a little more.....

Razorecko
05-30-11, 09:34 AM
I'd say forget it. It'd take too much $$$. Your best bet is to find someone with a stick that wants and auto and maybe do a motor swap. Odds are that'll be very hard as I dont think i've run into one stickshift owner that regrets going full manual.

550HP STSV
05-30-11, 09:41 AM
Sell your car, buy a 6 speed. Trust me, you'll save a lot of money. We've done these swaps for customers before and it was way more than just selling and buying another.

neuronbob
05-30-11, 09:45 AM
You can do anything with enough money. However, if you are even considering this, don't. Just sell and buy a stick. V2s, even with 6ATs, are keeping their value fairly well from what I can see in the used market.

Domsz06
05-30-11, 10:01 AM
Sure you can do it. Like others have said though It will prob be cheaper to just go buy the 6mt....

Caddy Wagon
05-30-11, 10:19 AM
Put yours back to stock, sell it, and buy a stick. It would be much cheaper that way.

aj660
05-30-11, 10:43 AM
Has anyone ever heard of somone doing this? What do you think it would cost? It should be a bolt up but what about the ECU and other systems? I'm thinking I would ejoy the stick maybe a little more.....

You're welcome to meet up with me and test drive my 6sp manual to decide if you really want to spend the money for a 6sp. I know we have similar mods, hp and we have similar tunes since we both had our cars tuned by Matt.

wait4me
05-30-11, 12:39 PM
Swapping wouldnt be that expensive. All you need is the stock harness for the manual, and the pedal assembly, center console section for the shifter, and slave cly, ect.. I would guess 4000 or less. Then sell off your auto parts and knock that down a bit.

thebigjimsho
05-30-11, 01:36 PM
And watch your resale take a shit...

Nutz
05-30-11, 02:30 PM
Don't forget to change the rear gear also...

wait4me
05-30-11, 02:51 PM
A guy called me today and said that he would be interested in swapping you. He said for $6000.

It would be you taking your car to me, and then the parts from your car would be swapped over to his car and vice versa. That price included the 800 for me to do the work of swaps. Including rear end. I would need the cars for 3 days.

wait4me
05-30-11, 02:52 PM
It would all be as oem would be.

Razorecko
05-30-11, 04:09 PM
Is the trans tunnel nearly the same in size to allow that swap w/out having to take a hammer to ?

jojipoji
05-30-11, 04:17 PM
Only 800 in labor? That's cheap

Razorecko
05-30-11, 04:33 PM
For $5200 he'll give you his stickshift for your auto.....hmmm. You'd be better off buying a stick

Domsz06
05-30-11, 05:28 PM
And watch your resale take a shit...

glad I'm not the only one that would think that.

No way would I buy a car from someone when you pull the vin and it says auto, yet now it's a stick.

Domsz06
05-30-11, 05:30 PM
to the OP, if you have the $ to think about doing this, why don't you just go buy a new 6MT? Guess I'm not understanding all of this. Yeah you will loose your taxes and what not, but piece of mind knowing it's done right.

Also I'd hate for something to happen and you have similar results as others have had (superbeast) and may not get your car back for 2 months....

IDK.... Just food for thought.

mrl859
05-31-11, 12:13 AM
Considering the fact the automatic is a no charge option and therefore, I assume, worth no more on resale value, why is the other party asking for $5200 for the swap? I must also assume the donor's driver is tired of a manual transmission or there'd be no offer. To me, it should be an even trade with the possible exception of covering delivery for the donor to/from w4me, w4me's labor, and alternate transportation for the donor's driver during the operation. Am I missing something here?