: engine stutter on 1994 fwb

newside
05-30-11, 01:13 AM
hi all, i'm having an intermittent engine stutter on my 94 fwb. it usually starts around 45 and up, and on hills. when i accelerate from cruising it will stutter. what i have done to the vehicle is, change the tranny fluid and filter, change the fuel filter, replaced the intake gasket, replace air filter and engine oil. i checked the engine at night for arching around the plug wires. i was thinking about the torue converter lock-up as a possiblity. any impute would be appreachiated. thanks

sven914
05-30-11, 02:31 AM
Try replacing the plugs and wires.

Stingroo
05-30-11, 10:11 AM
Check your EGR valve.

jayoldschool
05-30-11, 10:52 AM
Replace coil wire only, first. Inspect, clean, lube connections for the coil/ICM.

newside
05-30-11, 11:21 AM
Replace coil wire only, first. Inspect, clean, lube connections for the coil/ICM.

ok, thanks guys. i'll try these suggestions. i just got the carburator done on my 79 deville. it's one thing after another. lol, thanks again

HUF
05-30-11, 11:29 PM
ok, thanks guys. i'll try these suggestions. i just got the carburator done on my 79 deville. it's one thing after another. lol, thanks againKeep us updated. I have had exactly the same issue for two years. Still looking for possible cause...

Wheelman322
05-31-11, 10:15 AM
Possibly a bad Optispark...I know the LT1 engine was known for that.

HUF
05-31-11, 02:01 PM
I have checked the coil wire on my 95 LT1 and it was super clean. The resistance was 2.5 kOhm, which is normal for a 12" plug wire. The ICM area was superclean as well. Probably the wire is not MY problem. Will keep investigating.

turbojimmy
05-31-11, 04:06 PM
Can you power through it? For example, will it stop "stuttering" when you give it more gas? If so, it's probably the TCC solenoid.

If it's not missing/stuttering under any other circumstances, it's probably the solenoid not holding and thus allowing the converter to lock/unlock rapidly until the PCM calls for a TCC unlock.

newside
06-02-11, 11:52 PM
turbojimmy, i can power through the stutter. i checked the wires and they have been replaced, the icm is clean, no corrostion. i think it is the tcc solenoid as the car runs excellent throughout it's operating ranges.

HUF
06-03-11, 06:01 PM
turbojimmy, i can power through the stutter. i checked the wires and they have been replaced, the icm is clean, no corrostion. i think it is the tcc solenoid as the car runs excellent throughout it's operating ranges.
Do not jump to conclusion yet... Have you ever checked your exhaust manifold bolts and studs? If you have not done it , the chances are you will find some of them loose, missing or snapped/sheared off... A very common problem of all LT1 engines. I have recently tightened only two bolts on the driver side because I saw small exhaust leak - bubbles coming from the edge of the gasket when some water was sprayed over it. That leak is gone and believe it or not he throttle response is better now. I cannot say for sire that my stutter is history, but it has not occurred today under conditions it usually would do. Check the bolts. Replace them with grade 8 flange hex bolts black finish. You need 3/8"-16 x 1.000" and 3/8"-16 x 1.500" bolts. See if it helps.

newside
07-14-11, 06:28 PM
ok guys, been awhile since i've got back to this problem. i replaced the tcc lockout solinoid with no luck. i tightened the exaust manifold bolts with no results so now i'm going after the plugs and wires

thefleetwoodguy
07-14-11, 07:43 PM
wires

drmenard
07-14-11, 08:14 PM
If it's not the wires its the cap and rotor... But more than likley it will take plugs, wires ,cap and rotor...

HUF
07-14-11, 09:57 PM
ok guys, been awhile since i've got back to this problem. i replaced the tcc lockout solinoid with no luck. i tightened the exaust manifold bolts with no results so now i'm going after the plugs and wires
I believe it is in human nature... starting with the most difficult part! lol

newside
07-14-11, 10:04 PM
thanks guys, i checked the ground at the coil, icm all ok. the wires were replaced by someone but, they could have been the cheaper ones and are breaking down. i will replace them. does the water pump have to come off to replace the cap and rotor?

outsider
07-15-11, 08:30 AM
yes, the water pump does have to come off :(

newside
07-16-11, 10:04 AM
ok guys i found the cause of the stutter, as i replaced the wires i new they were to new to be the problem, but when i removed the last plug on the drivers side i had to heat it out, it was froze good. when i did get it out it was covered in a thick white build up. that's the one that was nagging me. i'm not sure how it got that way but it runs great

jayoldschool
07-16-11, 04:41 PM
Can we see a picture of the plug, please? Use the "macro" setting on your camera.

newside
07-16-11, 10:18 PM
sorry jayoldschool, i don't have a camera, i have to borrow one. the build up could be anti freeze. i'm going to keep an eye on that cylinder. i did replace the intake gaskets a short time ago and i hope the head gasket isn't seeping abit