: Anyone cut their stock springs .. Sensors .. ?

laynrockers
05-29-11, 06:48 PM
I threw this in one of my previous posts and no-one seemed to comment. I am considering cutting my stock springs. Curious to how it will ride compared to D3 springs or the Eibachs. Since those are known to be hit or miss with the squeeky noise..

Has anyone done this .. ? And did you have problems with the sensors.. ?

Tornitron
05-29-11, 09:59 PM
Seriously?

tabio42
05-29-11, 11:08 PM
^why not? Is cutting your stock springs beneath you?

laynrockers
05-29-11, 11:15 PM
^why not? Is cutting your stock springs beneath you?

I was going to take it easy on him, it's his first post. I have cut plenty of stock springs and in some cases it is a nice alternative to lowered springs. You get a lower stance while still having a soft ride. In the case of my V i was hoping for just that. 1"-1.5" and retain the stock feel..with just a hint more aggression

Hope i'm not the first to try this..:hmm:

Domsz06
05-30-11, 01:29 AM
I was going to take it easy on him, it's his first post. I have cut plenty of stock springs and in some cases it is a nice alternative to lowered springs. You get a lower stance while still having a soft ride. In the case of my V i was hoping for just that. 1"-1.5" and retain the stock feel..with just a hint more aggression

Hope i'm not the first to try this..:hmm:

why would you cut your stock springs, when you can just buy springs to lower it? D3 makes a kit, and includes the new rods to make it all run great....

Just curious....

google search cutting springs and you will find several who have done this.

baabootoo
05-30-11, 02:25 AM
No, I did this many months ago w/o any issues. I did the rears only since I'm happy with the fronts. These are NOT progressively wound springs, so there will be no rubbing, hence no squeaking. I left the rods as is and haven't noticed a thing. To answer the above, so we don't have stock springs laying around, and haven't spent hundreds like some have and still aren't satisfied. Problem solving at it's finest; the easiest solution first. :)

laynrockers
05-30-11, 04:43 AM
[QUOTE=baabootoo;2608968]No, I did this many months ago w/o any issues. I did the rears only since I'm happy with the fronts. These are NOT progressively wound springs, so there will be no rubbing, hence no squeaking. I left the rods as is and haven't noticed a thing. To answer the above, so we don't have stock springs laying around, and haven't spent hundreds like some have and still aren't satisfied. Problem solving at it's finest; the easiest solution first.

Do you remember how much you cut ?

laynrockers
05-30-11, 05:37 AM
why would you cut your stock springs, when you can just buy springs to lower it? D3 makes a kit, and includes the new rods to make it all run great....

Just curious....

google search cutting springs and you will find several who have done this.

Like I said previous, I have cut the stock springs on two other cars. And preferred the stock springs (cut) vs. the lowered spring because it provided the proper drop while be noticeably smoother as apposed the thick lowering springs :yup:

The cars I did this previously on did not have any sensors so that is where my main concern was..

Also if I can cut the stocks get proper ride height, proper ride, WITHOUT the squeeks and noises others are experiencing with D3/eibachs It's worth a shot:thumbsup:

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the info Babootoo Let me know how much you cut.

baabootoo
05-31-11, 01:04 AM
I cut less than normal since I carry a full-sized spare, and have a trailer hitch. I settled on 1/4 for the passenger side, and 1/2 coil on the driver's side. It is now equal from side to side. The fender lips are just above the rear tire edges, which I wanted. Depending upoon how you measure, there is about a 1/2" gap, which dropped from 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" when stock. Now, the car looks level as opposed to having a forward rake which is EXACTLY what I wanted.

Tornitron
05-31-11, 05:45 PM
Based on what I am reading here, I guess this car is the logical progession for rednecks once they start earning a larger paycheck.

Have fun guys. You should look into spray painting the car flat black in your backyard with a can of Krylon. It is only fitting. Just don't let your wife/sister find out that you spent all of her child support money.

tabio42
05-31-11, 06:03 PM
Wow, I don't even know what to say to you.

JimmyH
05-31-11, 08:21 PM
http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/troll.jpg

laynrockers
05-31-11, 11:28 PM
Haha, If you knew more about cars you wouldn't be scared to wrench on them, let alone cut 3/4 off the springs. I have two complete frame off restoration projects I've been building, and the least of my worries is cutting stock springs. Change your tampon or find another forum. This forum is for Enthusiast. Not little girls who think their above everyone. :want:

baabootoo
06-01-11, 01:59 AM
Better than raising the national debt by spending "plastic money" that I don't have........... They just have a higher limit on their cards also! :)

MIGHTYMOUSE
01-28-13, 03:21 PM
how did this turn out?