: driveshaft removal -need help

cadillac kevin
05-28-11, 11:10 PM
last time I was at the local junkyard I noticed a mid 90's rwd fwb which has the driveshaft I need for my drivetrain swap (since I'm going from 200r4 to 700r4 trans). so how would I go about a driveshaft removal on a mid 90's fwb? (I've never messed with a driveshaft before and am 100% clueless on how to take one out)

csbuckn
05-29-11, 01:40 AM
Take the four bolts out of the driveshaft where it meets the rear end, pry it out of that part then slide it out of the tranny. Easy

turbojimmy
05-29-11, 07:43 PM
Take the four bolts out of the driveshaft where it meets the rear end, pry it out of that part then slide it out of the tranny. Easy

What he said. The hardest part of the job is jacking up the car and getting under it.

cadillac kevin
05-29-11, 08:24 PM
the car is actually about 2 ft off the ground on a rack (4 rims and some tubing). so it seem like the only problem will be clearing the lrack with the driveshaft.

csbuckn
05-29-11, 08:48 PM
So you should be able to see the screws just standing there. Any pics?

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
05-29-11, 09:32 PM
is it a must for the rear to be off the ground to take off the drive shaft?? my front is already on jack stands, and what is the best way to help stop the leak from the tranny when drive shfted removed????????

jayoldschool
05-29-11, 09:34 PM
The way to stop the leak is to have the rear of the car at the same height as the front ;)

csbuckn
05-29-11, 10:05 PM
I thought the car was lifted two feet!

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
05-29-11, 10:56 PM
the way to stop the leak is to have the rear of the car at the same height as the front ;)

funny guy,even if i do that im pulling the motor and trans out

cadillac kevin
05-29-11, 11:04 PM
sorry- no pics. I dont usually take a camera with me (just one more thing to mess up). I will take one with me next time- I plan on doing a parts request for the guys here since the number of fwbs has grown quite a bit in my last few visits.

@85 fleet'
its not necessary to lift the car, but unless you're super skinny and have short arms its gonna be hard to get under the car and have room to work.

cadillac kevin
05-29-11, 11:04 PM
so drain the rest of the fluid and be done with the pesky leak once and for all.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
05-29-11, 11:11 PM
That is a good point hahahahahahaahaa

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
06-02-11, 08:57 PM
I took the 4 bolts off, my front is on jack stands already, does it take a whole lot more prying, or should the rear be on stands to? Or dont matter?

sven914
06-02-11, 09:03 PM
Do you have something blocking the rear tires? When you remove the drive shaft, there will be nothing holding the car in park and it could roll backwards, and fall off the jack stands.

turbojimmy
06-02-11, 10:15 PM
Do you have something blocking the rear tires? When you remove the drive shaft, there will be nothing holding the car in park and it could roll backwards, and fall off the jack stands.

I was hoping someone would say that. The driveshaft is what makes the "Park" in the transmission keep the car from rolling away. Once you remove the driveshaft, the wheels are free to go. Lots of people get squished this way. Your parking brake *should* hold it, but why take a chance? Either get the back wheels off the ground or block them solidly.

But to answer the question, the wheels don't *have* to be off the ground. You should be able to use a BFS to pry the shaft loose from the pinion flange. It will drop on your face once you free it up, too.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
06-02-11, 10:22 PM
Yes there 2 wood blocks on the back tires,theres no steering wheel in the car because already sold it, so just pry it hard then slip it off the tranny and put something under there to catch the oil right

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
06-02-11, 10:26 PM
Whats a bfs?

cadillac kevin
06-03-11, 12:14 AM
big f---ing screwdriver?
btw, will I need a pry bar or large screwdriverto free the driveshaft? I would figure that it would kinda just come out (or maybe use a thick shafted screwdriver to persuade it)

turbojimmy
06-03-11, 07:03 AM
big f---ing screwdriver?
btw, will I need a pry bar or large screwdriverto free the driveshaft? I would figure that it would kinda just come out (or maybe use a thick shafted screwdriver to persuade it)

Yes, big f'ing screwdriver. You shouldn't *need* a big pry bar, but if you have one it would be a suitable upgrade from a BFS. You pry it forward, away from the pinon flange. It will just "pop" off and drop to the ground. The front (at the trans) just slides out.

As mentioned previously, if the back is lower than the front, you'll get some trans fluid out the tail shaft of the transmission. If it's in a modern you-pull-it yard, it should be empty though.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
06-04-11, 10:51 PM
Man this drive shaft giving me a headach, i got a bfs lol im puttint it beetween the shaft and rear end and pryiong it foward but dont seem like its giving,like its stuck,ahhhhhhh

cadillac kevin
06-04-11, 11:10 PM
then get a big f---ing prybar or a big f---ing hammer to "persuade" it

csbuckn
06-04-11, 11:33 PM
If its not bottomed out in the tranny, it will eventually move.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
06-04-11, 11:48 PM
To i can use a hammer and it it foward to loosen it up?

csbuckn
06-05-11, 12:27 AM
Its not recommended but it may work. Remember that the caps of the u-joints come off and the tiny bearing can fall out. You shoulda been able to get it out with a prybar, can you grab a tire iron or something bigger than what you have now?