: The worst voice operated navigation system EVER and the best ever too!

mrl859
05-28-11, 09:12 PM
As many of you know, I came out of a 2010 GT500 with SYNC navigation into my V. IMO, the Ford system is hands down the easiest, most intuitive handsfree system from an OEM. Not just for navigation, but for all infotainment functions in general. So, I'm cruising up to L.A. the other night and I decided not to use the nav from the onset as I didn't want the nav system to interrupt my music every fifteen seconds on a route I was mostly familiar with. I figured I'll just input the address with voice recognition while underway. Yeah, right. When I got into the handsfree mode, I stated "navigation" and "destination" on repeated attempts. Most attempts culminated in the system not recognizing what I wanted and turning the handsfree off. Once I got XM80 and once it dialed a call. Seriously? In a 70K flagship car? Then I found it:the automatic navigation voice control button.

Wait for it................

I pushed the little blue navigation button on my mirror. The system came on, spoke in clear english, and even adressed me by name! It sounded life like! I told it the address I was looking for and it downloaded it into my nav system. It even wished me a good evening and invited me to use it anytime. Now Ford's SYNC system doesn't even do that!

Seriously, does this system not allow you to enter destination information by voice on the fly? OnStar is great, but come on.

Okay, help or flame away.

whisler151
05-28-11, 11:18 PM
We have a Raptor with Sync...it is amazing!

Can OnStar change the temperature of climate control for passenger or driver?

thebigjimsho
05-29-11, 01:13 AM
OnStar and mapquest/Google maps downloading is awesome. Yes, the voice isn't great. The nav is worlds better than in my '04 so I deal with it.

SleepTight
05-29-11, 01:25 AM
The nav system is at least two generations behind every other current manufacturer. The ability to use Onstar with it is the only saving feature. At least we can reconcile ourselves to the fact that this is the best system GM offers. It's just that GM's best isn't very good. And don't get me started on the iPod interface, just the absolute pits. Still, I'd willingly deal with the nav/entertainment system as is if GM turned all their technological brain power into developing a DSG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox)transmission for the V.

baabootoo
05-29-11, 01:30 AM
flamin'.............

thebigjimsho
05-29-11, 01:30 AM
The nav is much better than others out there. And the ipod is worlds better than many I've used.

mrl859
05-29-11, 02:42 AM
At least we can reconcile ourselves to the fact that this is the best system GM offers. It's just that GM's best isn't very good. Not true. While I haven't tested all of GM's nav systems, the one in the V pales in comparison to the one in my 2011 SRX. That one is much easier to use and more intuitive. Plus, you can enter a destination address via voice recognition. Why that system isn't in the CTS, I don't understand.

laynrockers
05-29-11, 02:42 AM
To be honest I am thoroughly impressed with how many Voice commands you can give the car. The nav I never use just put in in my I-phone much easier that way (so-maybe try that) . But overall having the HDD with the voice features...

SOLD...

mrl859
05-29-11, 02:43 AM
OnStar and mapquest/Google maps downloading is awesome. Yes, the voice isn't great. The nav is worlds better than in my '04 so I deal with it.How do you mapquest/google download to the car?

mrl859
05-29-11, 02:45 AM
We have a Raptor with Sync...it is amazing!

Can OnStar change the temperature of climate control for passenger or driver?Obviously not. However, you can change temperature with the controls while moving. I'm ok with that. However, unless I've missed something, you can't enter or change destination with voice recognition on the CTS when moving.

Tom_E
05-29-11, 04:18 AM
I agree!!!!! Worst system I have used. What I truly can't understand is why the handsfree/navigation system in the ZR1 AND the Suburban I own are far better than the V It flat sucks!!!!!!! Wish they could do a software upgrade and fix it. It's really sad and UNSAFE to have the manually dial the phone to make a call since it won't go into handsfree for me.

brlong23
05-29-11, 06:18 AM
Not true. While I haven't tested all of GM's nav systems, the one in the V pales in comparison to the one in my 2011 SRX. That one is much easier to use and more intuitive. Plus, you can enter a destination address via voice recognition. Why that system isn't in the CTS, I don't understand.

Absolutely agree. My wife's 2011 SRX has a much better Nav than my coupe...and believe me, she likes to let me know it!

garfin
05-29-11, 08:35 AM
How do you mapquest/google download to the car?

Here's how...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3EhHr7lbkk

...and you do need the "Directions & Connections" plan. As well, when using this feature, you can select the uploaded destination while on the fly using Onstar's Virtual Advisor.
Of course, this eNav feature is still not available in Canada. :annoyed:

Best regards,

Elie

mrl859
05-29-11, 10:07 AM
Here's how...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3EhHr7lbkk

...and you do need the "Directions & Connections" plan. As well, when using this feature, you can select the uploaded destination while on the fly using Onstar's Virtual Advisor.
Of course, this eNav feature is still not available in Canada. :annoyed:

Best regards,

ElieThat's pretty cool. If you plan ahead to do that though, you could just enter the address manually before you leave. I think a 70K car should have a voice operated infotainment AND nav system that doesn't require an additional fee subscription. If I'm going to use the virtual advisor, I'm going all the way and using a real advisor to download the directions.

JFJr
05-29-11, 11:49 AM
The technology is simply not sufficiently developed for pure and effective voice control, no matter whose system is being used. But in about 5 years, I would expect a "Hal"-type interface.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk)

mrl859
05-29-11, 12:59 PM
The technology is simply not sufficiently developed for pure and effective voice control, no matter whose system is being used. But in about 5 years, I would expect a "Hal"-type interface.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk)I don't know that I agree. You should try the Ford Sync systems. I never experienced any problem with mine.

mrl859
05-29-11, 01:09 PM
Learned something new today (I guess it helps if I read the "commands" list someone was kind enough to post on this site). You can say " enter street", "street input" , or "street address" to initiate destination entry using voice recognition. That's what I was looking for. Still pretty clunky though. The system locked up twice and had to reboot while I was going through the steps. Also, the music only muted when the system was waiting for my respoonse. I had to manually mute it (quick tap on the mute/speak button) to hear her give me my options. I just have to wonder how difficult it would be for Cadillac (or Jesse) to update the existing hardware with better, more user friendly software, maybe even adding bending gridlines in the back up camera as they already have in the SRX.

thebigjimsho
05-29-11, 02:52 PM
That's pretty cool. If you plan ahead to do that though, you could just enter the address manually before you leave. I think a 70K car should have a voice operated infotainment AND nav system that doesn't require an additional fee subscription. If I'm going to use the virtual advisor, I'm going all the way and using a real advisor to download the directions.
I like being in the comfort of my own home and planning out a trip on my laptop. Just zap it to OnStar and it's ready to go.

Jon
05-31-11, 01:27 AM
Can OnStar change the temperature of climate control for passenger or driver?

I honestly think that it's the stupidest thing ever to voice control your temperature. Is it cool? Yes. Is it practical? Not even close.

So I have to push a button, then recall one of 10,000 voice commands, or I can just reach down and push a physical button that I can feel, and change the temperature.

js615
05-31-11, 11:53 AM
While I haven't tested all of GM's nav systems, the one in the V pales in comparison to the one in my 2011 SRX. That one is much easier to use and more intuitive. Plus, you can enter a destination address via voice recognition. Why that system isn't in the CTS, I don't understand.

+1 The Nav in my wifes 2011 SRX blows away the one in my '09 V in terms of ease of use, feature functionality and general user interface feel/looks.

js615
05-31-11, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know the steps to disable the confirmation voice prompt? (e.g., "Is this correct? Say Yes or No.")